Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000)

Bodybuilding of yore versus now...

Just curious...

I was watching a youtube video -likely one of many- of bodybuilding then and now.

The video starts with bodybuilding then, I am talking mid-sixties and on: Arnie, Franko, Lou Ferrigno, Dave Draper, Tom Platz (eh, why not? I like him...), Serge Nubret, the list is endless...

The video continues to now... and, well, honestly, I only know Jay Cutler... and I had to look him up. I have been out of it for too long.

My introduction to BB was through the former characters. I had a life-size poster of Arnold tacked to my door as a teen and would pose in front of it as I struggled to match some of his metrics. I remember most of my friends back then thought bodybuilders were bloated to cattle-like proportions and had no elegance whatsoever. I never shared this view - on the poster on my door, Arnold had a ridiculously small waist. Steve Reeves forever BTW!

Anyway, looking at Jay Cutler and contemporaries training, they are impressive. Truly! However, I am quite shocked to discover that I now share my then-peer's perception of modern day bodybuilders. In my personal and very humble opinion - there seems to be no elegance or symmetry to the current generation. They are MASSIVE.

Being 35-and-up... what are your thoughts? Am I just getting old or will one day, 20 years from now, these guys be the runts?

D

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The IFBB is the greatest freak show in town, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm a big fan of the "Golden Era" bodybuilders but they now exist only in photos and some videos.

There are a handful of IFBB pros who have not completely given in to the massive look. Dexter Jackson became Mr. Olympia 3 years ago with a smaller frame an superior aesthetics. Troy Alves is another example.

Edit: I think the size of current BBing is just a natural extension of the sport. Guys have been getting bigger since it all started. If size were the only factor Markus Ruhl would have a mantel full of Sandow trophies. Today's pros are AMAZING!....................Happy Chris?

It's not that hard to find an NPC competition if one wants to see more classical aesthetics.

It is what it is.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 03-18-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    " ----------I`m your Huckleberry......'"

John Adams

DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000) DerAlta is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Nikonguy View Post
    The IFBB is the greatest freak show in town, and I don't mean that in a bad way. I'm a big fan of the "Golden Era" bodybuilders but they now exist only in photos and some videos.

It's not that hard to find an NPC competition if one wants to see more classical asthetics. And there are a handfull of IFBB pros who have not completely given in to the massave look. Troy Alves for example.

It is what it is.
    I used to joke about Ben Johnson, the olympic sprinter. He had only enough juice in him to try and beat the test, but enough to give him an advantage. He smoked the second place guy by a few lengths. I wanted to see what the human body could do, if it was a given that no testing would be done. Pump the athletes up with whatever they could and see what would result. That is currently what the Mr. Olympia is.

If you want to see a competition that isn't a chemical freak show (not that I wouldn't love to be that size...), check out the Mr. Olympia 202 class. or check out a local NPC show.

The top echelon of bodybuilding is what it always has been, the epitome of what can be done with the human body. Give it 15 years and see what it looks like after Genetic engineering kicks in.

Then again... look at Aleksei Lesukov.
    The Iron will never Lie to you.
    “Whatever doesn’t kill me… had better start running”
    Willpower is a muscle, and as such, it must be exercised. Heavily and Often.

Continually paying my Dues in the Iron-Sanctuary.com

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Times change and unfortunately, the bodybuilders of yore are practically no more. It's become a contest now of who can ingest the greatest number of "supplements" and still survive to thrive onstage. I'm not blind enough to say that the guys of yesteryear didn't take those "supplements"--of course they did. However, they still looked a lot better IMHO than the guys now.

As Nikonguy said, there are exceptions: Jackson, Phil Heath, Troy Alves, and a few others but for the most part, the concept of symmetry has been tossed out the window in favor or freakish size. That's what the fans want and what the competitors are going to give them. It is what it is.

Personally, I would always chooses Reeves over anyone now, and if you wanted to include the steroid era, then Zane and Arnold would be my other choices along with Serge Nubret. As things stand now, I don't really care for the look of the current popular pros.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    finally, a thread bashing contemporary professional bodybuilders. it's been at least two weeks since the last one

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000) merlinsrealm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by kimsquit View Post
    finally, a thread bashing contemporary professional bodybuilders. it's been at least two weeks since the last one
    LOL, you've been busy. I am pretty sure it's been less than 2 weeks. I know you were looking forward to one though
    Eric

"Sports do not build character. They reveal it."

"Thin skinned? Now that sounds like a way I could get more shredded....by having thinner skin." - Brackneyc

Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, this time more wisely.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Aleksey Lesukov... wow, that kid is amazing.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by merlinsrealm View Post
    LOL, you've been busy. I am pretty sure it's been less than 2 weeks. I know you were looking forward to one though
    it just wouldn't be the o35 without some old geezer crying for the glory days of yesteryear

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You gotta admit kimsquit, that one guy was pretty good. What was his name again?

Arnoldsomething.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000) DorianL is just really nice. (+1000)
    Seriously - you guys 35+... Bashing aside, when you see these massive fellows out there… spontaneously, viscerally how does it affect your sense of aesthetic and appreciation for their build?

Perhaps the under 35 don't share my sensitivity to what I perceive as massive overkill just as my peers thought Arnold and company was a freak show...

Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Nikonguy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just for the record I did not bash. I'm a fan.

And the 202 class has some great competitors but if any of those guys were a few inches taller they would gladly pack on the mass and weight to compete with everyone else.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 03-18-2011 at 09:36 AM.

John Adams

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I think the OP was more seeking the reason for the difference than bashing per say. I also think lifters are so different for several reasons:

1 HGH wasn't around back when
    2 Roids have become more sophisticated
    3 Routines have become more fine tuned
    4 Supplements have become more advanced

Just compare the golden era (50s-60s) bodybuilders to the those of the 70's and 80's. I'll bet people of our age group were saying the same thing comparing Arnold to Steve Reeves.
    Last edited by NYkarate; 03-18-2011 at 08:44 AM.

Originally Posted by Marius_Ursus View Post
    You gotta admit kimsquit, that one guy was pretty good. What was his name again?

Arnoldsomething.
    meh

I'm more a fan of Lee Haney. imo, he managed to win his unprecedented 8 Sandows without having to rely on Weider cronyism (aka 1980 Mr O)

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DorianL View Post
    Just curious...

I was watching a youtube video -likely one of many- of bodybuilding then and now.

The video starts with bodybuilding then, I am talking mid-sixties and on: Arnie, Franko, Lou Ferrigno, Dave Draper, Tom Platz (eh, why not? I like him...), Serge Nubret, the list is endless...

The video continues to now... and, well, honestly, I only know Jay Cutler... and I had to look him up. I have been out of it for too long.

My introduction to BB was through the former characters. I had a life-size poster of Arnold tacked to my door as a teen and would pose in front of it as I struggled to match some of his metrics. I remember most of my friends back then thought bodybuilders were bloated to cattle-like proportions and had no elegance whatsoever. I never shared this view - on the poster on my door, Arnold had a ridiculously small waist. Steve Reeves forever BTW!

Anyway, looking at Jay Cutler and contemporaries training, they are impressive. Truly! However, I am quite shocked to discover that I now share my then-peer's perception of modern day bodybuilders. In my personal and very humble opinion - there seems to be no elegance or symmetry to the current generation. They are MASSIVE.

Being 35-and-up... what are your thoughts? Am I just getting old or will one day, 20 years from now, these guys be the runts?

D
    Honestly, every generation says that the "good old days" were better: music, movies, tv, style/clothes, olympics, athletes, and lastly government. The Best Bodybuilder is just an extension of this type of thinking. Just remember that Jay had to keep up with Ronnie C, arguably the best of them all, so his body reflects that effort/attempt. Also remember the judging criteria has evolved.......

brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50) brizey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NYkarate View Post
    I think the OP was more seeking the reason for the difference than bashing per say. I also thin lifters are so different for several reasons:

1 HGH wasn't around back when
    2 Roids have become more sophisticated
    3 Routines have become more sophisticated
    4 Supplements have become more advanced

Just compare the golden era (50s-60s) bodybuilders to the those of the 70's and 80's. I'll bet peole of our age group were saying the same thing comparing Arnold to Steve Reeves.
    Up to a point, I agree. But I would rather look like Frank Zane than Arnold. I think he is a better "real life" target and they were contemporaries. Aesthetics over size. Freakish size is kind of one dimensional.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm impressed with all of them, no matter the supplements. That's a lot of hard arsed work. The fact that they can get there, stay healthy, and stick with it is impressive, and I admire anyone who is good at his craft, be it bodybuilding or ditch digging.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Seriously - you guys 35+... Bashing aside, when you see these massive fellows out there… spontaneously, viscerally how does it affect your sense of aesthetic and appreciation for their build?

Perhaps the under 35 don't share my sensitivity to what I perceive as massive overkill just as my peers thought Arnold and company was a freak show...
    How are you going to put a limit on how big a guy gets though? If he is "just big" he is not going to win or even place.

Jay Cutler is a great example. Even after Ronnie retired Jay, who had a slew of 2nd place Olympias, still had to make changes to stay ahead of a very close pack of competitors.
    Last edited by Nikonguy; 03-18-2011 at 09:33 AM.

John Adams

you haven't personally met any contemporary IFBB professional bodybuilders, have you?

I've met a few top-tier fellows and am on a first name basis with some other IFBB pro bodybuilders. I see them as people, not as 1-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

imo, very few people on the o35 really grasp how difficult, how long and how much dedication it takes to add 60-100 pounds of LBM to your frame. Folks here look at their 1st year noob gains and assume it's easy-breezy to "get huge" like an IFBB pro....and when they end up disappointed in a year or two years, they console themselves by declaring that "itz teh jooce!" to make up for what was really a ridiculously unrealistic expectation for gains of their part.

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Strong math weakness. (intentional)

meh

I'm more a fan of Lee Haney. imo, he managed to win his unprecedented 8 Sandows without having to rely on Weider cronyism (aka 1980 Mr O)
    Strong sarcasm to seriousness ratio.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

meh

WINNING!^^^

Lee was the last pro I followed up until 3-4 years ago and that was due to the increased mass of the pros after him. Took a while to see those guys with "new eyes".

It's amazing how many noob (read young) fans say Lee is boring because he didn't have any "outstanding muscle group"

John Adams

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    How does Cutler compare to Dorian Yates at his prime?

That dude was freaking massive too.

-=FLEX=-
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500) DaddyR is not very helpful. (-500)
    There's a lot of variety among today's pros. Not that there hasn't been for a couple of decades.

But to be honest I think Jay Cutler's look at last year's "O" was the most impressive I think I have ever seen. The guy is just plain incredible.

...and yes the top pros of today still impress and inspire me just as much as Arnold and Co. did back when I was a teeneger.
    Overweight and arrogant

comparative analysis

Scott
    Height: 5' 7"
    Competition Weight: 205 lbs

Olvia
    Height: 5' 10"
    Competition Weight: 240 lbs

Swarzenegger
    Height: 6' 2"
    Off Season Weight: 260 lbs
    Competition Weight: 235 lbs

Columbu
    Height: 5' 5"
    Competition Weight: 185 lbs

Zane
    Height: 5' 9"
    Competition Weight: 185 lbs

Dickerson:
    Height: 5' 7"
    Competition Weight: 190 lbs

Bannout
    Height: 5' 8"
    Competition Weight: around 216 lbs

Haney
    Height: 5' 11"
    Competition Weight: 245 lbs

Yates
    Off Season Weight: 290 lbs
    Competition Weight: 265 lbs

Coleman
    Height: 5' 11"
    Off Season Weight: 330 lbs
    Competition Weight: 296 lbs

Cutler
    Off season weight: 310 lb
    Competition Weight: 274 lb

Jackson
    Height: 5' 6"
    Off Season Weight: 245 lbs.
    Competition Weight: 233 lbs

Old Man Yelling at Cloud -=FLEX=-'s Avatar
    -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) -=FLEX=- has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Yates
    Off Season Weight: 290 lbs
    Competition Weight: 265 lbs

Cutler
    Off season weight: 310 lb
    Competition Weight: 274 lb
    Dayum.
    Insta: flexjs

Perseverance, Inc.

Spring Supremacy 2018 - 620/345/615 @ 50 yrs old

RIP Gene Rychlak

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    There's a lot of variety among today's pros. Not that there hasn't been for a couple of decades.

But to be honest I think Jay Cutler's look at last year's "O" was the most impressive I think I have ever seen. The guy is just plain incredible.

...and yes the top pros of today still impress and inspire me just as much as Arnold and Co. did back when I was a teeneger.
    Agreed. That dude looked unbelievable. It's a matter of progression. So much has changed from those years in everything from science and the understanding of how different exercises and diet affect ones training, to equipment being used, and the better living through chemistry.

Things change. I don't see it as a bad thing. It's just evolution.

Even Layne Norton, a natural, has progressed to a level beyond or equal to some of those from the golden era who used special vitamins.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    imo, very few people on the o35 really grasp how difficult, how long and how much dedication it takes to add 60-100 pounds of LBM to your frame. Folks here look at their 1st year noob gains and assume it's easy-breezy to "get huge" like an IFBB pro....and when they end up disappointed in a year or two years, they console themselves by declaring that "itz teh jooce!" to make up for what was really a ridiculously unrealistic expectation for gains of their part.
    Quoted so that it doesn't get missed. Bolded to eliminate the often-used excuse for lack of progress in this, and other forums on this site.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bmontgomery87 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lol

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My thoughts are that they are the same as they were then in the sense that they are quick to let you in on their diet, supplement and lifting routine........

But not so quick to let you know what they are really doing........

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    We're all nostagic about the guys who impressed us when we were young, but today's bbers are just as hard working no matter what route they take. Seems like a natural (no pun intended) evolution to me. Nit picking is nitpicking imho.

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    you haven't personally met any contemporary IFBB professional bodybuilders, have you?

I've met a few top-tier fellows and am on a first name basis with some other IFBB pro bodybuilders. I see them as people, not as 1-dimensional cardboard cutouts.

I don't think anyone on here beleives that it is easy by any stretch. Even achieving first year gains takes hard work and the fact that it gets harder is sobering. That being said, I highly doubt that those who competed in decades past were slackers compared to today's bodybuilders. I just think it is science that is making the difference in results for equal effort. As much as we don't want to take away from today's IFBB crowd, we shouldn't take away from the effort put in by those in the past.