g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10) g_washington is on a distinguished road. (+10)

modifying 5x5 for a hypertrophy program?

I've decided its time to cash in on some of my strength gains, and on my next cycle go for hypertrophy. I've been doing the 5x5 and really like how its organized, is there any way I could adapt it to a mass building goal?

Of course the first thing is to raise the reps to 10-12, but if i keep the rest of the 5x5 as it is, surely I would overtrain? 5x5 unmodified was hard enough, let alone doubling the reps. What could I get rid of or change to avoid overtraining?

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    4x8..or along those lines
    "Humility comes before honor"

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet View Post
    4x8..or along those lines
    I was gonna say that. Use an 8 rep range or so, and plan out the poundage progression just like you would if it where 5 reps. You'll continue to gain strength, but in a more "hypertrophic" rep range, thus, your size gains will probably be a bit better if diet is supporting it.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

hoghead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by g_washington View Post
    I've decided its time to cash in on some of my strength gains, and on my next cycle go for hypertrophy. I've been doing the 5x5 and really like how its organized, is there any way I could adapt it to a mass building goal?

Of course the first thing is to raise the reps to 10-12, but if i keep the rest of the 5x5 as it is, surely I would overtrain? 5x5 unmodified was hard enough, let alone doubling the reps. What could I get rid of or change to avoid overtraining?
    How do you not gain size from doing the 5x5? Personally I've never done it but with other strength training workouts I've always gained size. If you're consuming enough calories you should be gaining size. I'm not trying to be a prick but am just curious. You've got me thinking about trying the 5x5 now.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    How do you not gain size from doing the 5x5?
    He never said he didn't. It looks like he just wants to shift his focus a bit now.

Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Leigh P. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by hoghead View Post
    How do you not gain size from doing the 5x5? Personally I've never done it but with other strength training workouts I've always gained size. If you're consuming enough calories you should be gaining size. I'm not trying to be a prick but am just curious. You've got me thinking about trying the 5x5 now.
    You can gain some size but when talking about maximizing hypertrophy a 8-12 rep range is where hypertrophy shines. Also included should be the right tempos and rest time between sets as well.

Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Black_Spit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Leigh P. View Post
    a 8-12 rep range is where hypertrophy shines. .
    See there... everything was going along just fine, and you had to go and stir the pot.