andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Lower Spine Pain After Squats

Hi Guys
    I have recently started to do Squats after reading its importance on this site. However, Ive also started to get bit of pain on the lower part of my spine and believe it could be becuase of Squats....

Should all the weight be on my back or should I carry some or all the weight on my arms when holding the bar?

Hope someone can help

Many Thanks

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    your lower back is probably rounding. this could be caused by a variety of different things. post a vid for deeper analysis.
    i'm hungry

wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10) wuhantang is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    try using lighter weight to get a feel for the correct form first, its really important to your back to use the correct form or you can mess it up real bad.
    bench press: 275/300
    squat: 365/400
    dead lift: 435/500

2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100) 2hard2fixagain is not very well liked. (-100)
    If your form is spot on, its a postural issue.

Does it hurt free deadlifts? Leg press?

T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50) T.KELL will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    another possibility, small but uncovered is what shoes you're wearing. i go with chuck taylors or bare foot. some ppl wear boots or basketball shoes b/c of the higher heel and ankle support. also, i carry the weight on my back the whole way down, but going up, if i need it i try to push up with my arms, like a shoulder press for a small spot, even though all the weight is still on my legs, it seems to help.
    -U.S.A.F.

-Chalk > Straps

-Squat-455lbs
    -Bench-305lbs
    -Deadlift-445lbs

andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50) andysidhu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 2hard2fixagain View Post
    If your form is spot on, its a postural issue.

Does it hurt free deadlifts? Leg press?
    Yes, it also hurts when doing Dead lifts and most deff Leg press....
    Il review my form. Also is it worth investing in Weight Lifting Belts?

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SLDLs or RDLs to strengthen lower back might help over time. But you should really check your form and work on it if it is an issue.

VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz VoxExMachina has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by andysidhu View Post
    Yes, it also hurts when doing Dead lifts and most deff Leg press....
    Il review my form. Also is it worth investing in Weight Lifting Belts?
    Sounds like you're using improper form on all the exercises...or you've used it on at least one and how are aggravating it with the others. Either way, go back to the basics:

1. When squatting, make sure to keep a tight inward arch to your back. DO NOT allow it to round (curve outward), or you risk a spine injury. (the same principle applies to deadlifts)

2. The bar should be held firmly against your traps. DO NOT attempt to push the bar upward with your arms. In fact, you should be pulling the bar into your traps to keep your upper body tight.

3. Only squat as low as your flexibility allows. If you have poor flexibility in your hamstrings, glutes, etc., can cause "butt tuck" at the bottom of the lift. This happens when lack of flexibility causes your butt to roll downward, creating a rounding in the lower back. (you can get the same issue when leg pressing)

4. Lifting belts WILL NOT correct, nor protect for, issues caused by poor form. They are for people who already have good form down, and are looking to increase the top end of their lifts.

At this point, it's likely that you've caused a little bit of damage. Give the area some rest and allow it to heal. If it bothers you when you're not lifting, then you should probably see a doctor. After you're recovered, then drop the weight down A LOT and just practice good form.

The "So you think you can squat" and "Squat Rx" videos on YouTube are a good source for learning proper form.
    ☠ By reading this post, you have agreed to my negative reputation terms of service.

Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post
    Sounds like you're using improper form on all the exercises...or you've used it on at least one and how are aggravating it with the others. Either way, go back to the basics:

1. When squatting, make sure to keep a tight inward arch to your back. DO NOT allow it to round (curve outward), or you risk a spine injury. (the same principle applies to deadlifts)

2. The bar should be held firmly against your traps. DO NOT attempt to push the bar upward with your arms. In fact, you should be pulling the bar into your traps to keep your upper body tight.

3. Only squat as low as your flexibility allows. If you have poor flexibility in your hamstrings, glutes, etc., can cause "butt tuck" at the bottom of the lift. This happens when lack of flexibility causes your butt to roll downward, creating a rounding in the lower back. (you can get the same issue when leg pressing)

4. Lifting belts WILL NOT correct, nor protect for, issues caused by poor form. They are for people who already have good form down, and are looking to increase the top end of their lifts.

At this point, it's likely that you've caused a little bit of damage. Give the area some rest and allow it to heal. If it bothers you when you're not lifting, then you should probably see a doctor. After you're recovered, then drop the weight down A LOT and just practice good form.

The "So you think you can squat" and "Squat Rx" videos on YouTube are a good source for learning proper form.

Many Thanks for the feedback guys. I shall rest my back and then lower the weight and just concentrate on form first.
    Once again many thanks

DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100) DrGoodhead is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by andysidhu View Post
    Many Thanks for the feedback guys. I shall rest my back and then lower the weight and just concentrate on form first.
    Once again many thanks
    i had this problem a few weeks ago. stretch. stretch your ass and your hamstrings. i was rounding my back at ATG because i didn't have the flexibility. also do box squats and progressively lower the height

Originally Posted by DrGoodhead View Post
    i had this problem a few weeks ago. stretch. stretch your ass and your hamstrings. i was rounding my back at ATG because i didn't have the flexibility. also do box squats and progressively lower the height
    Thanks bro

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by VoxExMachina View Post

All this, plus:

- make sure your deadlift is bigger than your squat.
    I know it's not a rule and I know people with a bigger squat that do it with no problem, but in my experience: your spinal erector muscles should be strong enough to carry the weight. The only way to make sure of that is that you can pull from the floor what you're are putting on your back (that is harder because of constant tension).
    If you let's say, you deadlift 200 and squat 225, that means your back is not strong enough to carry your squat weight.

Invest in deadlift progression if this is the case.
    3k+

I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) I.K9009 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Do not get a belt and lower your weight dude. I'm 3 months into a lower back injury and believe me you want NONE of it.
    I.K

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Question: what if we never think we're rounding our lower back but sometimes secretly suspect we are? Could belts help teach the alignment/form of the movement and then we could remove the belts and go to very light weights and remember our alignment while belted so we know what to aim for?

npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000) npaoun is just really nice. (+1000)
    In regards to leg presses...

Some presses are poorly designed, and will even cause your lower back to round if you are correctly using the machine. Sometimes doing the presses with 1 leg at a time will help to prevent your back from rounding. It also means you have to load the machine with fewer plates.