chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

diff btwn IF and IIFYM question

question about IF, I'm reading the sticky's about it but it will be a while till I read all 10,000 posts.

So far from what I've read it seems IF reccomends a window of 16 hrs fasting for optimal results. Is this the only major diff between IF and IIFYM or are there a lot more?

schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) schismatik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well IF is a fasting protocol that does not dictate any specific diet, just a nutrient timing scheme. IIFYM is just a crew whom will fit certain foods deemed "unclean" for dieting purposes in their diet. Some use IF eating protocol to fit these Ben & Jerry treats out of necessesity or preference, but as long as calories and macros are in check then no worries. Others from IIFYM fit these calorie dense foods without having to fast, but the same idea applies about cals in/cals out.

In summary, those that practice either (for the most part) are slightly more educated than the posters who get all their information from the main page, so see if you see past some of the sarcaasm you can learn a great deal from them (speaking as a dedicated lurker who hardly cares to post much).

hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50) hheck50 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IF= Intermittent Fasting; can be any period of fasting but 16 hours is the most common
    IIFYM= If it fits your macros. Basically, say you are 150 pounds and have a maintenance of 2000 calories. You want to eat your 1 gram of protein per pound body weight and .5 grams dietary fat per pound. Now, 4x150+9x75= 1275. So, 2000-1275= 725, so you have 725 calories left to "fill as you please". Personally, I'd recommend allotting most of those calories to vegetables and some fruit for good nutrients but if there is some small thing that you'd like to eat (let's say a cookie) you fit it into your daily allowance of calories after you have filled your requirements for protein and dietary fat. The major benefit of IIFYM is it allows you to eat a small bit of a food you love everyday which will hopefully eliminate cravings to binge and such.

Hope this helps

JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I am currently on a cutting diet where I am using IF, but in my 8 hour window I eat what i like (IIFYM)

its like one aids another in a way but they seperate.
    Twitter - JoeEgerton_

Productivity and Time go hand in hand,
    You must use your time wisely because you can never buy or buy back time.

chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chickeneater is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    thanx for the replies. Reps on RC. So from just your posts, from what I can tell the only difference is that IF reccomends a 16 hr fast, but the macros can come from anywhere, and the protein must still meet 1g per pound lbm.

If you feel I need more clarification lmk. thanx

JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10) JOE_EDGE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by chickeneater View Post
    thanx for the replies. Reps on RC. So from just your posts, from what I can tell the only difference is that IF reccomends a 16 hr fast, but the macros can come from anywhere, and the protein must still meet 1g per pound lbm.

If you feel I need more clarification lmk. thanx
    Pretty much THE most important thing when doing IF is meet Protein macro, to minimise muscle wastage etc.
    Twitter - JoeEgerton_

Originally Posted by JOE_EDGE View Post
    Pretty much THE most important thing when doing IF is meet Protein macro, to minimise muscle wastage etc.
    1g per pound of lbm fine? Or more?

Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just to give the OP another vantage point. I practice IF as well as a bit of IIFYM.

I eat nutritious whole foods, but I do not stop myself from having ice-cream, or cookies, or what have you if I would like it and it fits into my total calories.

I do not track my protein intake either. I weight 173lbs at the moment, around 8-9% bodyfat and I probably average around 120g of protein a day, all while my lifts continue to go up and bodyfat continues to slowly go down.

Just giving you another instance.

Originally Posted by Jorge0886 View Post
    Just to give the OP another vantage point. I practice IF as well as a bit of IIFYM.

I eat nutritious whole foods, but I do not stop myself from having ice-cream, or cookies, or what have you if I would like it and it fits into my total calories.

I do not track my protein intake either. I weight 173lbs at the moment, around 8-9% bodyfat and I probably average around 120g of protein a day, all while my lifts continue to go up and bodyfat continues to slowly go down.

Just giving you another instance.
    hey thanx for that.

I never had trouble hitting 200g of protein for the day with a shake or two. But always felt like I needed 250+ or I'd feel guilty. Must be this website. Anyways you have a very ideal body and that you only take in 120g's is interesting.

My only caution for myself is that I have quite a bit of cutting and calorie deficit to go thru for some time to get to your level of bf%. You say your lifts go up while your bf continues to go down, but do you think it's the same for me at 20+ bf%? I'm very ectoish.

Also, I would apprecitate it if you were to give me an example of your hybrid iifym if approach. Thanx.

coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    apples and oranges sir.

1g per pound of lbm fine? Or more?
    Yeah personally, I go on a 1.7 ratio, but thats just me
    Twitter - JoeEgerton_

Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000) Jorge0886 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    hey thanx for that.

I never had trouble hitting 200g of protein for the day with a shake or two. But always felt like I needed 250+ or I'd feel guilty. Must be this website. Anyways you have a very ideal body and that you only take in 120g's is interesting.

My only caution for myself is that I have quite a bit of cutting and calorie deficit to go thru for some time to get to your level of bf%. You say your lifts go up while your bf continues to go down, but do you think it's the same for me at 20+ bf%? I'm very ectoish.

Also, I would apprecitate it if you were to give me an example of your hybrid iifym if approach. Thanx.
    I really wish I could answer your question better, but I'll give it my best shot.

I do agree that websites like this and many others will have a plethora of stigmas flying around. I think the human body and nutrition as a whole are way too complicated to make a set of "rules" that are developed for "bodybuilders". That being said, I try to follow the basic rules of thermodynamics. Eat more - gain weight. Eat less - lose weight.

I really can't say how it will work out for you, but I can give you a great start. My best friend was 265lbs at 5'11". After 6 months of ONLY eating more nutritious whole foods and working out 5 days a week, he was down to 228lbs. He did have dedication and was ready to lose the weight. Now he's back at 238 but he's at it again and he's gonna do great, I can tell.

As for a sample diet of mine. This would be a typical day for me.

6:30am - wake up -- start fast with an espresso
    2:00pm - 18 pcs of sushi (At HEB this would be a total of 720 calories)
    5:30pm - workout
    8:00pm - EAT.

It's hard to say "what" I eat because it varies each day, some things I do eat very frequently however are:

ground turkey, frozen vegetables, rice, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts.

If I've eaten everything I've cooked and I'm at 2,200 calories, then I'll eat ice-cream or a skinny cow sandwhich or some chocolate to reach 2,500 calories

Good luck my friend. Consistency and dedication are key,

Originally Posted by Jorge0886 View Post
    I really wish I could answer your question better, but I'll give it my best shot.

I do agree that websites like this and many others will have a plethora of stigmas flying around. I think the human body and nutrition as a whole are way too complicated to make a set of "rules" that are developed for "bodybuilders". That being said, I try to follow the basic rules of thermodynamics. Eat more - gain weight. Eat less - lose weight.

I really can't say how it will work out for you, but I can give you a great start. My best friend was 265lbs at 5'11". After 6 months of ONLY eating more nutritious whole foods and working out 5 days a week, he was down to 228lbs. He did have dedication and was ready to lose the weight. Now he's back at 238 but he's at it again and he's gonna do great, I can tell.

As for a sample diet of mine. This would be a typical day for me.

6:30am - wake up -- start fast with an espresso
    2:00pm - 18 pcs of sushi (At HEB this would be a total of 720 calories)
    5:30pm - workout
    8:00pm - EAT.

It's hard to say "what" I eat because it varies each day, some things I do eat very frequently however are:

ground turkey, frozen vegetables, rice, sweet potatoes, fruits, nuts.

If I've eaten everything I've cooked and I'm at 2,200 calories, then I'll eat ice-cream or a skinny cow sandwhich or some chocolate to reach 2,500 calories

Good luck my friend. Consistency and dedication are key,
    thanx. I'll stick with 200g for now along with the consistency and dedication then.
    Originally Posted by coals View Post
    apples and oranges sir.
    You should read up! It really does'nt matter where your carb sources come from..