Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    TheSnowman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Serious question for the ladies. Why...

I hope I'm not intruding in the ladies' forum but I have a serious question for/about women and I'd like to hear their honest answers without putting up with the macho BS I'd get in the other forums.

Anyway, my question is, why do (some) women wear, ummm, revealing? form-hugging? outfits while working out at the gym?

I'm sure they realize that they will likely be drawing extra attention to themselves (above and beyond what would normally occur when the testosterone is pumping). Is this the intended effect?

And by "extra attention" I mean attention from men, in the form of glancing/ staring/ advances, etc.

Is it because such clothing is more comfortable than say, a pair of jogging shorts and a simple t-shirt (and they put up with the extra attn. as a trade-off), or is such clothing really worn to attract attention from men ("advertising" you might say??).

I trust I have not offended anyone with my question, I am just trying to understand gym culture a little more, from a woman's perspective. I don't want to make a faux pas.

Thank you for your time

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't know why some are there to show-off. I'm in the gym to train, and show-off on stage.

Don't know how those tight outfits are comfortable to workout in.

hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50) hausgrl will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Re: Serious question for the ladies. Why...

Originally posted by TheSnowman
    I'm sure they realize that they will likely be drawing extra attention to themselves (above and beyond what would normally occur when the testosterone is pumping). Is this the intended effect?

And by "extra attention" I mean attention from men, in the form of glancing/ staring/ advances, etc.
    i think this answers the general question of why some women wear revealing clothes in any situation.

So do you think it's really done to show off/ get attention?

I ask, because, the ones worn by women at my gym don't look UN-comfortable (I wouldn't know, since I haven't tried cross-dressing ), but like I said, they ARE more revealing than a simple tee and shorts, and seem more likely to get you noticed... ??

I mean, if you wouldn't want the men to stare at you , wouldn't a women then choose something more... "conservative?" and not something that would encourage attention?

That's just my impression, I very well could be wrong :dunno:

("you" in a general sense, no-one specifically)
    Last edited by TheSnowman; 06-04-2003 at 10:27 AM.

cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) cdmuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink My two-cents

Some of the more serious girls I know wouldn't be caught dead trying to do stiff deads, etc. in super tight short-shorts. MsFit is right the best time to show is on stage!

I believe it is more of an attention-getter than anything else. Plus it is intimidating to other gym members.

Same goes for men in the same type of clothing (and there are actually a few who dare).

My opinion, for what it's worth.
    "...Discipline is learnt in the school of adversity."
    //Ghandi

Re: My two-cents

Originally posted by cdmuscle

Same goes for men in the same type of clothing (and there are actually a few who dare).

*shudder* that's a scary visual-place...

d-LiftStyles-b has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, guys who go without shirts, there is no reason for it. The gym is usually cool enough. But they are showing off, probubuly more to the men then the women and I would guess that the women wear those retarded outfits more for other womens benefit aswell. Women are more likely to get comments from other women (I would think) about their body in a gym then they are from men. I have never seen a man go up to a woman in a gym and comment on her "work" but I have seen many women apporach other women. So maybe its just a self esteem thing.

Well thankfully my gym has SOME dress code

I don't want to see Southside Bruno walking around without a shirt, I mean he smells bad enough!

Gracious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs down

This is how I look in the gym! L/Sleeve tops and baggies!! I am all with Ms Fit on this one. Show it of on Stage where the right people are there to make comments!!

www.geocities.com/izzeus/Inthegym.html

Gracious

"The web site you are trying to access has exceeded its allocated data transfer."

Must be a popular picture

Gracious has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Ops.. I have just posted it on another forum too, so maybe that's why.. Give it a go in a few minutes.. Sorry!!

Message Board Princess sweetbecky's Avatar
    sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000) sweetbecky is just really nice. (+1000)
    I wear either black or grey jazz pants with a hip length t-shirt over them. I sometimes see women in spandexy bras or halter tops and matching pants or shorts. I have also wondered why lol. Most of them, at least in my gym, seem to be in their own world, like me, and are not looking around to see who's looking at them. Maybe it is more comfortable or cooler. Maybe for some it's motivating to catch a glimpse in a mirror and see your abs and bare arms. I think maybe some wear that stuff because once they get to a certain point in fitness, they might feel they worked hard to get that body and why not wear something more revealing... without it being a sexual thing.

I have also seen one woman who wore something just to get stared at. She and her husband go to the gym about once a week, and she wears semi-see through white pants, with a black thong underneath. Once she sweats, of course you can see right through the pants. She stands at the center desk for a while looking over her chart and exchanges looks with her husband. The whole vibe is icky so I don't think it's an innocent thing.

So I guess when you see a woman dressed in something tight or belly revealing, check out what her attitude is like. Is she just doing her own thing or is she walking past all the treadmills checking to see who's checking her out?

Myself, under my normal jogging shorts, I usually wear an additional pair of bike shorts, but only for support so I don't have to "adjust" myself in public or give an unintentional peep show when doing certain exercises.

But I have NEVER found a pair to be comfortable, because they always seem to creep. So I personally don't understand why some people make spandex outfits their only clothing :dunno:
    Last edited by TheSnowman; 06-05-2003 at 09:21 AM.

BodaciousBitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mine aren`t revealing, but tighter than they used to be. I`m 65lbs smaller, so I kinda like to show that off. But 9 out of 10 times, my clothes are baggy...
    Live life to the fullest.

Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Shannon is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Gym Fashion Shows???

Are you all for real? What people choose to wear to the gym concerns you all that much??? LOL! WOW!

I go to the gym to workout...not attend a fashion show...and could care less what the person next to me is wearing...or NOT wearing.

If you're distracted by something as simple as clothing...or lack there of...well then...you're just not concentrating on your routine hard enough!
    Last edited by Shannon; 06-23-2003 at 02:58 PM.
    Forgive your enemies...but never forget their names.

There's nothing more attractive than a man with a physique that looks as though it was carved from stone.

Location: Where all of the really, really, really, ridiculously good looking people live
    buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50) buffdan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What gets me is a lot of the women who are trying to "show off" are at least 50lbs overweight. What the hell are they thinking? Do they really think wearing spandex suddenly makes them HOT? I feel sorry for the poor anorexic people that are in there, 'cause it makes ME want to barf. I can imagine what THEY'RE going through......

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Part of it may depend on the culture of the particular gym. Where I go, virtually all the women under 30 (and close to the right weight) wear the halter tops, jogbras, or tank tops with matching shorts, etc. I never thought anything of it because that is what I was used to. My wife even started dressing like that to fit in. The guys also "dress up." I guess the best way to describe it is the way they present workouts in a magazine like Muscle & Fitness. Incidentally, none of the stuff is overtly sexy, but it is not like the picture posted by Gracious either.
    Always learning.

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I do believe some "over 50" pounds types wear tighter clothing as an incentive.

When I started out, I wore baggy sweats and a XL teeshirt that hid everything as I was one of those "over 50" pounder "pears". But afterwhile, I wanted to see the changes. So I started wearing walking shorts and sleeveless "tees". As soon as I found I could wear Large Tees without looking overly tight, I started wearing That size. I never had broad hips nor a big butt and always had good legs, so was never worried about that. But my back, shoulders, upper arms and, especially, my stomach were the worse parts.

My shorts waist size was getting smaller and even my stomach was finally flattening down so I did not look "pregnant". Had two ceasareans, really messed up the muscles there...so I know that will take some time before all the fat will go.....but its' getting there. (Been losing fast enough to produce some loose skin too and that will take time to draw back.) Could even wear a Sports bra and have some shape up there....and that has not happened in quite a while.

True, this is self image and there is nothing like pushing yourself further than to see that image getting better.

In my women's strength class gym, we have all types and the wearing of spandex by some and looser clothing by others. But no one is trying to "show off" or "put down" anyone else because of body shape. Out here in the Arizona SW, it is Summer.......just trying to stay cool while working out.

The only time I see "spandex" being worn to "show off" is when the weekenders from LA come to the Colorado River to get "broasted to a turn". We locals....know better.
    Last edited by Laurie; 06-24-2003 at 01:24 PM.

sessa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wear tight athletic tank tops for support and they are cooler than a cotton t-shirt. I also wear tight pants as well. I feel comfortable in it. I am not there to have everyone stare at me. I like seeing my muscles contract properly (keeps me motivated).

Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    *cracks the hell up*

Ditto what Shannon said.

~ Femintensity ~

RCale has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maybe it's motivating to work harder when you are less coved up! Although most of the women I know who dress like this aren't usually working too hard--except at getting attention.

sessa has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Oh I also forgot to write that most of my workouts are in an all womens facility. So no-one cares what someone else is wearing, unless they want to buy it.

Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50) Femintensity will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    LMAO!

Bring on the lesbians!

(Terribly sorry, just couldn't resist.)

~ FemINTENSity ~

huntersmommy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Personally I prefer to wear as little as possible (with taste I have a man and I'm not out looking for some otherwoman's man like so many of those "other" gym girls) to work out. Part of it is because I am very proud of the way i look especially after weighing 165 pound (at 5'1") when I had my son. So I llike to get looks it makes me feel good. But the biggest reason I wear what I wear is beacause i like the way my body is finally starting to look. All the hard work is paying off and I enjoy looking in a mirror and seeing the definition I have.

MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MsFit is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    LMFAO

wenja1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am very comfortable wearing a jog style bra top and tight shorts in the gym. I sweat and I really prefer wearing as little as possible without offending. It truly has nothing to do with getting or wanting attention. When I am lifting, I pay no attention to others and I expect the same. Baggy clothes tend to bind me during cardio and the sweaty shorts start to cling to my legs. Make fun of those wearing little clothes but trust me it's a comfort thing. Like wearing a bikini in 90 degree heat on the beach. A little style and a lot of comfort.

MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000) MDC is just really nice. (+1000)
    Be careful with "jogging shorts". They can reveal much more than tight spandex. Men and women apply.

Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000) Cogar is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by MDC
    Be careful with "jogging shorts". They can reveal much more than tight spandex. Men and women apply.
    I agree. The ladies who use them at my gym wear a leotard on top and that looks OK. We only have one guy who wears them at our gym, and I rather not talk about him.
    Always learning.

Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Laurie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    "shortcomings, eh?" LOL......

just joking.

But really, wearing spandex like that without a strap is just....ummm, crass.

olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10) olusco is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

I do not mind to see ladies wearing thong or whatever to the gym cause it makes my testosterone higher. It makes me do more reps or set. They workout very hard then they have to show what they got except those FAT ASS that want to wear tight tops or spandex. Honestly they should be given warning for wearing clothes that makes my testosterone lower.
    there is nothing impossible in the eyes of pumping iron. get layed alot, good health and looking at everyone fat.