mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Too much lifting?

I am currently cutting and eating around a 500 calorie deficit. Is this lifting plan too much? Instead of lifting 6 days/week should I maybe do 3 days with a day of cardio in between each? All workouts are around 50 minutes, in the 6-10 rep range for each set. Currently eating mostly healthy foods and supplementing with 5g creatine per day.

Monday - Back, biceps, traps
    Tuesday - Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Wednesday - Lower back, legs
    Thursday - Back, biceps, traps
    Friday - Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Saturday - Lower back, legs

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mb2004 View Post
    I am currently cutting and eating around a 500 calorie deficit. Is this lifting plan too much? Instead of lifting 6 days/week should I maybe do 3 days with a day of cardio in between each? All workouts are around 50 minutes, in the 6-10 rep range for each set. Currently eating mostly healthy foods and supplementing with 5g creatine per day.

Monday - Back, biceps, traps
    Tuesday - Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Wednesday - Lower back, legs
    Thursday - Back, biceps, traps
    Friday - Chest, shoulders, triceps
    Saturday - Lower back, legs

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

i would do traps the same day as shoulders
    lower back the same as back
    and do core on legs days

mine is
    Chest & shoulders
    Back & arms
    legs & core
    repeat for the next 3 days so 6 days in total

i dont care about my arms so it doesnt bother me when i work them traps will get done with deadlifts so i dont train them specifically. Core tbh i dont ever do it but im gonna start even though i hate it
    ♡♡♡UKGB♡♡♡ WWE Misc Faction of the year!!! As voted by you

You're either with us or against us either way all your end of year awards are belong to us

LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000) LithiuM23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would say right off the bat throw in another rest day, maybe in the middle of the week.

My training schedule is:

Monday- Chest
    Tuesday-Back
    Wednesday- Rest
    Thursday-Shoulders
    Friday-Legs
    Saturday-Arms
    Sunday- Rest
    Bench Max: 380 lbs
    Deadlift Max: 505 lbs x2
    Squat Max: 365 lbs
    Incline Bar Max: 350 lbs x1

"I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!"

moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No offense, but I dont understand why people always have to complicate workouts.

Starting Strength/Madcows FTW

tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000) tanajerner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by moneymango View Post
    No offense, but I dont understand why people always have to complicate workouts.

people have been lifting a while like me we need to change up and move things about for

a) shock the system
    b) keep our interest
    c) horses for courses

You're either with us or against us either way all your end of year awards are belong to us

MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10) MSU_Accounting is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everyone is different and you didn't include any info on volume/intensity/training style/sleep etc..

Get in tune with your body and decide for yourself. Read up on the symptoms of overtraining/overreaching and purposely overtrain a few times to find your limits.

mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mb2004 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I did pick up Starting Strength from the library a week or two ago and have been reading through it. What sucks about my gym is there is no squat rack, only a Smith machine and I am not a huge fan of the Smith machine. I am basically limited to squatting the same weight that I can overhead press, so I have been doing 135 - 145 but that amount of weight is hardly enough to be used a a warmup for squats, let alone enough for working sets.

Starting Strength really has helped with my form on the lifts and I no longer feel strain on my lower back when doing deadlifts.

I did pick up Starting Strength from the library a week or two ago and have been reading through it. What sucks about my gym is there is no squat rack, only a Smith machine and I am not a huge fan of the Smith machine. I am basically limited to squatting the same weight that I can overhead press, so I have been doing 135 - 145 but that amount of weight is hardly enough to be used a a warmup for squats, let alone enough for working sets.

Starting Strength really has helped with my form on the lifts and I no longer feel strain on my lower back when doing deadlifts.

Squat with dumbells its harder than it sounds

moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) moneymango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tanajerner View Post
    people have been lifting a while like me we need to change up and move things about for

a) shock the system
    b) keep our interest
    c) horses for courses
    Fair enough. I'm just a huge believer in heavy compound movements vs a whole bunch of isolation stuff that usually comes with most splits.

For most people

Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, Press, Rows, Eat.

Works wonders

Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Archaic2021 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MSU_Accounting View Post
    Everyone is different and you didn't include any info on volume/intensity/training style/sleep etc..

Get in tune with your body and decide for yourself. Read up on the symptoms of overtraining/overreaching and purposely overtrain a few times to find your limits.
    This

Im currently doing layne nortons split

Upper power
    Lower power
    off.( cardio for me)
    shoulder/back hypertrophy
    legs hypertrophy
    arms/chest hypertrophy
    off (cardio)

of course I do 15 minutes of cardio on workout days too.
    not HIIT really more like windsprints..walk. 10 run.10 walk.10 run.10...repeat.
    "Equality is a False God"
    "Comparison is the thief of joy."

Originally Posted by MSU_Accounting View Post

Sorry didn't want to bombard everyone with numbers (reps, sets, rest periods, etc.), just wanted a general opinion. I do train pretty intensely when I lift, and try to keep rest periods under 1.5 minutes, slightly longer if I go real heavy (4 reps or less). I don't like to waste a lot of time when I am in the gym. I get 7-8 hours of sleep. I will usually start each workout with the bigger compound lifts then move into smaller muscle groups.

As an example, yesterday I started with pullups (did enough sets to get me to 30 total), did bent over barbell row, one arm dumbell row, curls, shrugs.

Squat with dumbells its harder than it sounds
    I will probably end up doing that. I will sometimes do dumbbell step ups onto a bench, but only when the weight room is a little less busy.

PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PBateman2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Fair enough. I'm just a huge believer in heavy compound movements vs a whole bunch of isolation stuff that usually comes with most splits.

For most people

Works wonders
    Yup.
    BRAINS & GAINS

Strong Mind + Strong Body = UNSTOPPABLE

For most people

Works wonders
    I do all off those twice a week

Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Electricheadd is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sorry didn't want to bombard everyone with numbers (reps, sets, rest periods, etc.), just wanted a general opinion. I do train pretty intensely when I lift, and try to keep rest periods under 1.5 minutes, slightly longer if I go real heavy (4 reps or less). I don't like to waste a lot of time when I am in the gym. I get 7-8 hours of sleep. I will usually start each workout with the bigger compound lifts then move into smaller muscle groups.

As an example, yesterday I started with pullups (did enough sets to get me to 30 total), did bent over barbell row, one arm dumbell row, curls, shrugs.

The particulars don't really matter. What matters is that you are adequately recovering between workouts. If you are still sore, feel tired or start losing strength its likely you are over training. I personally only do a body part once a week but I hit it pretty hard. Some like to go twice a week with heavy/light days. Its mostly personal preference. On a cut you'll find you will recover slower than a bulk. The key is to recognize the signs and correct for it.
    My Reverse Diet Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153750981&p=1077733831#post1077733831

For most people

Works wonders
    That was my last workout routine basically. I am just looking to switch things up a bit to keep my body guessing. I like to change things up every few weeks to avoid falling into a rut. I've grown to really enjoy deadlifts. Never used to do them but just started recently and last time I was able to do 315x1 so that was a great motivator. Just sucks that my gym doesn't have a squat rack. I also got my bench to 215x4 even while cutting. I am guessing within a month or so I will be done with my cutting cycle and can start eating more and making some gains. I am currently around 173 or 174 lbs, not sure about body fat, maybe 14-15%.

I do all off those twice a week
    I sure hope you're eating more than twice a week

But in all seriousness, you're doing it right then. Just making sure OP realizes the value of those lifts, because not everyone includes them

But in all seriousness, you're doing it right then. Just making sure OP realizes the value of those lifts, because not everyone includes them
    Without a doubt I realize the value of those lifts. I make those the main focus of my workouts. Definitely not one of those n00bs who are in the gym doing bench press & curls for every workout lol.

umm that would be extreme fasting

maybe next diet

umm that would be extreme fasting

maybe next diet
    I love food too much to ever do that. I can hardly stand to go a minute over 3 hrs without eating something.