StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Lower back 'popping' and pain when doing some ab exercises

I'm looking to strengthen my abs, as they're very weak, but there's a hitch; a lot of exercises which are said to be great I can't do without my lower back 'clunking' about whilst performing them and sometimes without getting pain. To give you an understanding of what causes this, it seems to be anything that changes my hip angle, ie

-sit ups/crunches
    -knee tucks
    -hanging leg/knee raises

Even if I just stand straight and bring one knee up to my chest and then lower it it can make my back 'click.' And by click I mean I can both feel and hear my lower back make a dull 'bumping' noise. If you were to gently tap a table or wall with your knuckles, that's the noise my lower back makes, albeit slightly muffled.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell this could be? I have anterior pelvic tilt due to several muscular imbalances, one of them being my abs, which I think play a part in it, but other than that I'm clueless.

I'm known by other names IamJonsCranium's Avatar
    IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by StylesOfBeyond View Post
    I'm looking to strengthen my abs, as they're very weak, but there's a hitch; a lot of exercises which are said to be great I can't do without my lower back 'clunking' about whilst performing them and sometimes without getting pain. To give you an understanding of what causes this, it seems to be anything that changes my hip angle, ie

-sit ups/crunches
    -knee tucks
    -hanging leg/knee raises

Even if I just stand straight and bring one knee up to my chest and then lower it it can make my back 'click.' And by click I mean I can both feel and hear my lower back make a dull 'bumping' noise. If you were to gently tap a table or wall with your knuckles, that's the noise my lower back makes, albeit slightly muffled.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell this could be? I have anterior pelvic tilt due to several muscular imbalances, one of them being my abs, which I think play a part in it, but other than that I'm clueless.
    Go to a reputable chiropractor. No sense in living with pain like that.

When I was in college, I got up to my highest max in bench at 225. My deadlift never went over 135 because of my back. After a couple chiro sessions after graduation, I jumped right up to 265. Wish I did it sooner.
    IamJons Awesome workout log:
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=659599573#post659599573

Author of "The Loser Mentality"
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=699707851#postcount%20=21

"The Predators Are Feeding (And You're What They're Eating)"
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=710146201&postcount=184

IamJon's Sermon at the Breakfast Table:
    ▬ http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=713520011&postcount=12

♂ Eat Like a Man ♂

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm familiar with the clicking you are talking about because I have the same thing myself if I do lying leg raises. It isn't painful per se, but not a comfortable feeling.

My advice would be to keep trying other ab exercises until you find some that doesn't cause this. My favorite are hanging leg raises, which I see you listed as problematic, but that isn't a suprise since it requires pelvic shift. I also like kneeling cable crunches and ball crunches. I think these two might work for you since it doesn't make the hip shift as much as other ab exercises.
    Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good. - Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

Biggest question in bodybuilding: Whaddaya bench? As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much you bench; it matters how much you [i]look[/i] like you bench... There's no round on stage that's the benchpress round. - Bob Chicherillo, World Class Physique, CMG

JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50) JacobOno will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    my back "clicks" also.. but it doesn't cause me any pain. wish I could help bro..

auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10) auduron is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JacobOno View Post
    my back "clicks" also.. but it doesn't cause me any pain. wish I could help bro..
    same, i get a popping sound (only when i do a steep incline crunch) but it doesn't hurt...

StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500) StylesOfBeyond is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by auduron View Post
    same, i get a popping sound (only when i do a steep incline crunch) but it doesn't hurt...
    Oh, lemme just clarify, it's not searing pain when doing it or anything, but it's pretty uncomfortable, and afterwards when standing my lower back is kinda painful/pumping. It tends to happen afterwards.