FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10)

[Bench] Bar bounces off chest?

Some guy was giving me a long lecture while I was benching today about how if the bar bounces off my chest when I bench, I'm doing it wrong. Is it true? I just can't help it.. my chest is elastic.

Of course, I was kidding about it being elastic, but isn't the bounce really caused by my own efforts but rather than somehow my flesh being rubbery enough to impart kinetic energy into the Olympic bar, thus lowering the amount of work that I do using my muscles?

MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50) MercTime will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by FiveKey View Post
    Some guy was giving me a long lecture while I was benching today about how if the bar bounces off my chest when I bench, I'm doing it wrong. Is it true? I just can't help it.. my chest is elastic.

Of course, I was kidding about it being elastic, but isn't the bounce really caused by my own efforts but rather than somehow my flesh being rubbery enough to impart kinetic energy into the Olympic bar, thus lowering the amount of work that I do using my muscles?
    Why would you ever purposely lower the amount of work your muscles are doing?
    "If We Cannot Find A Way, We Will Make One" - Hannibal

BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenW22 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Don't let it bounce, that's cheating. It can also be dangerous. Do your best to touch your chest and push. If you're bouncing, lower the weight.

basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can help it by controlling the speed of the descent.
    I can't parse this sentence.

You can't bounce in powerlifting because it's against the rules.
    You shouldn't bounce in bodybuilding or athletic training because it's dangerous and doesn't make you stronger or bigger.

HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000) HawkLifter55 is just really nice. (+1000)

You my friend are thinking to much. You are bouncing it because you are letting it drop freely to a point and then trying to "bounce" it off your chest with the energy it got from dropping quickly...yes it is cheating...but some people just do it that way...You will eventually be in pain and break something however...
    Last edited by HawkLifter55; 03-12-2011 at 03:09 PM.

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Lower with control, touch shirt/chest, extend arms. Do this with your ass on the bench and nobody else touching the bar. That is a bench press

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The only one you are cheating is yourself.
    #1 its just plain stupid
    #2 it can be dangerous eventually youll bust a rib or blow out a shoulder
    #3 your muscles arent working as hard

Lower the bar in a controlled manner touch your chest and explode up, try doing pin presses from the power rack or floor presses, it will change the way you look at benching.

randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) randyyle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bouncing the bar of the chest could lead to injuries and plus its cheating since your controlling the weight. You are also using the momemtum of the bounce.
    Twitch: twitch.tv/kingbigtv

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/k1Ngb1G

Fierce 5 journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174969351&p=1524760461&viewfull=1#post1524760461

Lifts / Weight:

Squat / 157.5kgx1
    Bench / 105kgx1
    Deadlift / 170kgx1

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Just like when you squat, you want to let your muscles rebound at the bottom of the rep. Bouncing the bar off your chest though is bad and only cheats yourself. So as soon as the bar touches your chest, allow the stretch in your muscles to rebound and drive the weight back up. There is no need to pause at the bottom unless you are competing.

chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50) chinesemuscle will become famous soon enough. (+50)

it's not your flesh that's rubbery, it's your rib cage, it's made to act like a spring otherwise every football player would have no ribs left. With that being said, a slight bounce is ok as long as you're not dropping the weight completely. I rather see someone bounce the bar off their chest a little bit than people who lower the bar 5 inches and then go back up.
    Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but doesn't nobody want to lift no heavy ass weights. --Ronnie Coleman

KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by MercTime View Post
    Why would you ever purposely lower the amount of work your muscles are doing?
    notsureifsrs

So many bad answers here. Let's take two extremes. You have zero bounce, and you have a lot of bounce. The problem with the first is that it's unnatural and if you want to start with 0 elastic energy, you should be doing floor presses. Even after waiting a second, 33% of the elastic energy is still there. Waiting any longer than that is going to fatigue you and negatively effect your workout. The problem with too much bounce is that you're going to gradually, without even knowing it, keep adding more bounce. When you use heavy enough weight, the bar can damage your chest if you descent too fast or if it's too heavy, or both. It also doesn't really work the muscles well if all you're doing is bouncing.

A healthy medium is best. If you're not training to be a powerlifter, you shouldn't be concerned about some bouncing. It will help with the rebound and build explosive energy. Touch your shirt/chest just barely and immediately push the bar upwards.

KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100) KelvinSwole is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by chinesemuscle View Post
    it's not your flesh that's rubbery, it's your rib cage, it's made to act like a spring otherwise every football player would have no ribs left.
    Who told you this? Did you come up with this yourself? What you just said is plain ridiculous. The reason there is a bounce is that is a natural movement that makes lifting easier. The squat and overhead press have a bounce as well. It's caused by a stretch reflex in your muscles that stores potential energy as you lower the bar.

My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000) My_Legacy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It shouldn't be bouncing...but it should touch lightly
    Team Beyond Fitness - http://********.com/beyondfitnessofficial
    For coaching, send me a personal message!

Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Jrahe42 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    if you aren't competing for a sport, do whatever you want.
    Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=130703993

BrianLy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have experience this before and I left myself a red line.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Nothing wrong with a good bounce.

It is personal preference really.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chrisboudreaux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Jrahe42 View Post
    if you aren't competing for a sport, do whatever you want.
    Originally Posted by Ironlife View Post
    Nothing wrong with a good bounce.

It is personal preference really.
    ^these dudes is correct. listen to them.

FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10) FiveKey is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Whoa whoa! I just got back from work and I see so many responses. I don't want it to bounce, but for some reason it seems to do so. I'm guessing that I'm not lowering it slowly enough right before it touches my chest? Thanks for all the replies guys! I was mainly wondering whether a slight bounce truly taxes from the total workout that I could be getting or if a little bounce is nothing to worry about.

foxreaper318 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You should be fine as long as you aren't using your chest as a trampoline for the weights...

I try to lower it slowly and control it, touch the bar to my chest, then explode up as fast as possible.
    It may not be the best for trying to impress someone with the amount of weight you have on the bar, but it gives me the best workout I have had and I've noticed an increase in muscle strength, size, and endurance in a very short amount of time.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by foxreaper318 View Post
    You should be fine as long as you aren't using your chest as a trampoline for the weights...
    Lulz
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am always in control of the weight as it lowers, so, although it TOUCHES the chest, it does not forcibly bounce....letting the weight drop fast in benching is a scary practice, for sure and could mean you are using too much weight or simply not concentrating and focusing on the movement....

when you are in control in a bench press, the weight should NEVER fly down at any significant rate of speed....

boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) boroboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    as long as you're going down to your chest and raising it, you are training your chest still. Even if you raised your @rse off the bench to lift it you are still hitting your chest.

The problem i have with bouncing and other techniques though is that they are a safety risk. When you are hitting heavier weights and bouncing it (i mean almost using momentum in the chest to get it up) then it poses a safety risk; it is going to hurt over time. The weights i'm using for presses i wouldn't dare smack of my chest in fear of injury (even when i'm in a plateau).

as i said, you are still working your chest when you bounce it. However i wouldn't recommend you continue to do it if you wish to come out of the exercise pain free over time

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by boroboy View Post
    as long as you're going down to your chest and raising it, you are training your chest still. Even if you raised your @rse off the bench to lift it you are still hitting your chest.

The problem i have with bouncing and other techniques though is that they are a safety risk. When you are hitting heavier weights and bouncing it (i mean almost using momentum in the chest to get it up) then it poses a safety risk; it is going to hurt over time. The weights i'm using for presses i wouldn't dare smack of my chest in fear of injury (even when i'm in a plateau).

as i said, you are still working your chest when you bounce it. However i wouldn't recommend you continue to do it if you wish to come out of the exercise pain free over time
    Had to read it a couple times, but good post.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How about this - you can let the bar bounce a little, but there should never be a point where the force being applied to the bar by your hands is zero.

Hiding from ForumNature 400Lb Gorilla's Avatar
    400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz 400Lb Gorilla has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI View Post
    I am always in control of the weight as it lowers, so, although it TOUCHES the chest, it does not forcibly bounce....letting the weight drop fast in benching is a scary practice, for sure and could mean you are using too much weight or simply not concentrating and focusing on the movement....

when you are in control in a bench press, the weight should NEVER fly down at any significant rate of speed....
    no surprise here but John has pretty much nailed it. touch and go is the preferred way for most people. helps keep tension where it should be anyway. a pause at the bottom is more of a powerlifting technique since in a PL meet a slight pause is required
    You would be surprised just how much time I have to waste.