Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BlackNYellow View Post
    I'm thinking about going on a ketosis diet after spring break. I do intense weight lifting 5 days a week for 45 min to 1 hour per session. I want to gain lean muscle and lose body fat. Based on my previous experience tracking calories I usually need 3000 calories to maintain my weight, I have a really fast metabolism, and 4,000 calories for noticeable weight gain. My plan:

3500 calories
    65% fat
    30% protien
    5% fat

I am considering taking a cytosport cyto gainer shake before my workouts every morning. The shake has 74 g of carbs, which would work out to a little less than 10% of my diet. I know that is too high on the carb end. I was wondering if intense weight lifting would offset this or if I could through fiber intake and not eating any carbs the rest of the day?

I have looked at ckd but it doesn't make sense to me to load up on carbs during the weekend and then have to break through the wall to ketosis every week.
    That shake is definitely out of the question, unless you were doing CKD. I have found that I have to limit daily intake to 20g carbs. Absolutely no more than 30g. I can get away with 30g if I am working out heavy.

IMO, you cannot combine these two goals of yours at the same time. Keto is incredible for weight-loss if done right, but is not so good for muscle gains. That's not to say I don't continue to lift when on keto. I absolutely do, I just know that my body is not going to be able to perform well in that regard. In full, deep keto, you will feel fatigued. You will hit positive failure quicker. Yet you will cleave fat very fast. I drop almost 1lb per day on keto, restricting carbs to 20g daily.

It seems to me like your diet is not a keto diet. It looks like a bulking diet. You have fat listed twice so there is some confusion there. The only way that a 3500 cal intake would work on keto would be if you worked out like an absolute mad man - I mean like HEAVY training daily, possibly multiple times per day. And doing this would make little sense because you just can't perform as well on keto. I would develop a proper keto diet, lose the fat, while continuing to work out, but don't kill yourself in the gym. Once you are done with your fat loss, then start up a high cal, high carb, high prot, low fat diet to get those lean gains you are after.

Here is a good keto calculator to help you:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    Go with God.

BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BlackNYellow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for that link. That looks like a really great tool. I meant to say 5% carbs instead of fat. If I eliminate the cyto gainer shake then that should follow the exact guidelines for the ketosis diet. I guess I will just have to change my goal to preserving muscle and losing fat. The reason why I want to start at 3500 is because I have a crazy high metabolism. I was eating 3900 to 4000+ a day for two months and only gained 10 lbs.

......................... samsumon's Avatar
    samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000) samsumon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Starting High carb today.. Had a few pieces of fruit to get my body going, going to workout then today just going to eat eat eat... I'm thinking sushi!!!! and chipoleeeee and then ice cream and cake!!!! haha...then finish tomorrow night with some potatoes and stuff..
    !@!@!@!@!!@!

1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10) 1976pianoman is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by BlackNYellow View Post
    Thanks for that link. That looks like a really great tool. I meant to say 5% carbs instead of fat. If I eliminate the cyto gainer shake then that should follow the exact guidelines for the ketosis diet. I guess I will just have to change my goal to preserving muscle and losing fat. The reason why I want to start at 3500 is because I have a crazy high metabolism. I was eating 3900 to 4000+ a day for two months and only gained 10 lbs.
    Ketone test strips have been helpful for me to determine if I'm in keto or not. You can get them at most any pharmacy like Walgreens. If you are very well hydrated, they might not test properly, but chances are you will still be able to use them successfully. Very few people report they don't work. I have found that I test differently throughout the day. If you are not getting any result (any pink/purple test) then try testing first thing in the morning when you wake up, then throughout the day. After you are familiar with keto, you won't need to test as you will know what it feels like. I know from the scale as well. Good luck.
    Go with God.

Originally Posted by samsumon View Post
    Starting High carb today.. Had a few pieces of fruit to get my body going, going to workout then today just going to eat eat eat... I'm thinking sushi!!!! and chipoleeeee and then ice cream and cake!!!! haha...then finish tomorrow night with some potatoes and stuff..
    I am too! It's so awesome to eat carbs again!! I go off big time. Like, pizza, danish pastries, etc.. I love keto cause I can get away with cheating like this. I basically just do keto now as maintenance every once in a while to prevent me from getting fat again.
    Go with God.

Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Middlewt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by orion41 View Post

Things like cream cheese, peanut butter, have sugar (i.e. HIGH glycemic carb). Which apparently I can't tolerate in any amount.
    Worth a try, maybe: PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter
    Per 2 Tbsp. serving, it contains:
    1.5g fat
    5g total carbs, 2g fiber, 1g sugar
    5g protein

AND delicious
    ***Sick of bein' the chubby friend crew***

Middlewt

Regular cream cheese is okay. It's low carb, but watch your portions.
    Go with God.

Forever Musclebound aaaaaaaaaachooo's Avatar
    aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000) aaaaaaaaaachooo is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm about to do this the CORRECT way. I see so many fuarkin' people who OBVIOUSLY don't read nutrition labels, or know how to successfully count calories/macros.
    Follow the OP - 95% of your questions are in there!!
    I'm going to follow the OP and get SHREDDED.
    /end rant
    505 / 315 / 545

TeenagerGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5:20 morning - 3 fried eggs(277 calories, 21g fat, 19g protein, 1g carbs) + black tea(without sugar)
    16:30 - 40g cheese
    16:30 - 18:00 - Sometime meat/headcheese

So, calors per day is about 400 - 700, it depends what food i got in home.
    Does with that i get into Ketosis like in few day? Maybe eat more fried eggs in night too?

Originally Posted by TeenagerGuy View Post
    5:20 morning - 3 fried eggs(277 calories, 21g fat, 19g protein, 1g carbs) + black tea(without sugar)
    16:30 - 40g cheese
    16:30 - 18:00 - Sometime meat/headcheese

So, calors per day is about 400 - 700, it depends what food i got in home.
    Does with that i get into Ketosis like in few day? Maybe eat more fried eggs in night too?
    This sticky thread is not the place to be asking ketosis related questions, actually. You should post a new thread.

That is not the healthiest keto diet. Your calories are too low (based on your estimate of 400-700) and you could possibly be eating too much fat/cheese.

You should really watch your cheese intake, and be sure the majority of your meat is lean, such as boneless skinless chicken. I often eat a fatty meal once a day but if I do I am sure that my second meal is lean. So if I have sausages or a hamburger patty, or dark meat chicken with skin on for lunch, I'm sure for dinner to have boneless skinless chicken breast or tuna salad made with light mayo. THe high fat from the wrong kinds of meat and too much cheese won't knock you out of keto, but it will prevent you from losing weight rapidly. Check in to buying egg whites like "Egg Beaters". Here is a good keto calculator:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Here is a site to determine what's the in the food you are eating:

http://nutritiondata.self.com

I would say you need a minimum of 1000 cal, yet you really need to check the keto calculator to know for sure. ..and watch that fat. keto is a high fat diet, and you can get a way with a lot, but you really need to know your limit - again the keto calc will help you determine your macros. You can eat real eggs as opposed to egg whites, but cholesterol may become an issue. Egg whites have zero fat as well. If you haven't had them, they taste just a good as regular eggs. I put cheese on them, but I portion out the cheese to be sure I'm not eating too much. I don't think headcheese is a good choice for everyday eating.
    Last edited by 1976pianoman; 03-31-2013 at 06:19 AM. Reason: changed it
    Go with God.

TeenagerGuy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    But what about wieners? Is it allowed to eat wieners?

Originally Posted by TeenagerGuy View Post
    But what about wieners? Is it allowed to eat wieners?
    You can as far as keto goes, but you just need to take into consideration that most cured meats are terrible for you and should not be your primary source of protein. So most hot dogs/wieners are best left as a snack.

However, there are some types that are different. For example there are a number of very tasty sausage products like kielbasa, Louisiana hot links, italian sausage, and a number of different chicken sausages which would be far better than eating a traditional hot dog/wiener. I buy them precooked. One of my most eaten keto meals is a 3 sausage lunch. For example, I eat a kielbasa, a apple chicken sausage link and a Louisiana hot link. Or any other combination. I make a "honey mustard" dipping sauce with brown spicy mustard and sucralose (Splenda). If I do an Italian type sausage, I use a low carb marinara for dipping. The marinara I use has 8 carbs per half cup. You want to be careful when eating these products and when eating any cured meats like weiners/hotdogs. THey can be very high in fat. Fat is good in keto, but if you go over your daily macro you will stall out. The main reason why I mix it up started because I wanted to minimize my fat intake. The kilebasa and hot links are very high in fat. Having 2 with an additional lower fat sausage is okay, have 3 of the heavy fat varieties would be too much fat in one sitting.

I would never repeat my 3 sausage lunch for diner. As the sausage lunch, per my previous post, would be considered a fatty meal - so for dinner I would need to be sure to eat something much more healthy like a chicken breast. This is just what has worked for me. It's really less about eating healthy (even thought that is VERY important) and more about making sure you are under your fat, carb and cal macro for the day.

the only stall that ever occurred for me in keto was when I was eating 3-4 skin-on baked chicken thighs for what I thought was a keto approved diet. IF you check that site I linked to you will see just how high in fat a skin-on chicken thigh is. It's just as bad, if not worse than a steak. I thought because it was chicken it was okay. It was very helpful for me to use both those sites to learn about what I was taking in, and to help determine my macros.

In the end, even though they are not healthy, you can have your wieners. It's highly ill-advised for health reasons, but it should not knock you out of keto. But do watch the fat intake.
    Go with God.

Cotie1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto

My first post but long time reader. If someone already asked this question I apologize. So in my cutting cycle and first time keto, should I lift weights on my carb loading day(s) to take advantage of them and build some muscle, or should I just let my body soak it up? Trying to minimize muscle loss here of course

Smile

Originally Posted by Cotie1988 View Post
    My first post but long time reader. If someone already asked this question I apologize. So in my cutting cycle and first time keto, should I lift weights on my carb loading day(s) to take advantage of them and build some muscle, or should I just let my body soak it up? Trying to minimize muscle loss here of course
    Hi. What you should do is not post that question here, as this is a sticky thread for basic fundamental info regarding keto, it's not the place to ask questions. Start a new thread here in the Keto forum and ask your question there.
    Go with God.

Cotie1988 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 1976pianoman View Post
    Hi. What you should do is not post that question here, as this is a sticky thread for basic fundamental info regarding keto, it's not the place to ask questions. Start a new thread here in the Keto forum and ask your question there.
    Thank you sir

Bosox715 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome thread man. This really cleared up a lot of questions that I had about keto. The approved food list is awesome. Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) suphomey has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How can you do this and avoid acidosis and all the other negatives of ketosis like kidney stones, osteoporosis, cancer, kidney failure. I'm a little concerned as to what to believe in regards to it. Are these only risks when too much protein in consumed instead of fats?

MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    just do it lawl

MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MyronDGheinz has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Big Boody richard

Fuark ya

Fuarkk

Fuarkkkk

fuarkkk

Fuark

FUarkkKf

Fuarkz

Fuarke Fuark

davidd19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i personlly wanna do the Tkd dieet (the tarket keto dieet ) im starting today with my first workout!.
    so i do carbs before working out and some after .
    To come in ketosis for tkd do i need to do the 3steps that were posted on the first page .

3D. How to Enter Ketosis Quickly, Easily, and Reliably

Here is a full-proof method to enter ketosis:

Day 1:

- Do not eat anything after 6 p.m.

Day 2:

- Wake up and perform HIIT or intense conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach

- Begin a strict ketogenic diet with 0-2% of calories attributed to carbohydrates

Day 3:

- Wake up and perform HIIT or intense conditioning/weight training on an empty stomach

- Begin a normal ketogenic diet with 5% of calories attributed to carbohydrates.

If not already, you will soon be in ketosis in a short matter of time.

or isnt that really nessary for tkd trainers to come in ketoshis ?

much thnx

Originally Posted by suphomey View Post
    How can you do this and avoid acidosis and all the other negatives of ketosis like kidney stones, osteoporosis, cancer, kidney failure. I'm a little concerned as to what to believe in regards to it. Are these only risks when too much protein in consumed instead of fats?
    Where are you getting your information? I've heard some negative spin on ketosis before but never this. Most of the negativity on the web is incorrect and stems from old science or is just outright rubbish. Keto flies in the face of the institutionalized beliefs on heath and diet so it's going to be attacked quite often. I don't claim to know for 100% certainty, but my experience tells me this diet is healthy. I am in the best shape of my life because of it. Personally, my only concern is cholesterol. I have yet to get my levels checked. The only viable argument I give any credence to against keto is the cholesterol one. But even that argument has apparently been debunked. I won't know for sure until I get my blood tested. The high-protein/renal failure issue is a non-issue as well. Keto is not necessarily a high-protein diet. It's a high-fat diet. So that point should end there. Yet to speak a bit about the protein thing: there was once postulated a connection between high protein and renal failure. Those of us that lift do consume a ton of protein. This trend started in the bodybuilding realm many eons ago. It has proven to not be a problem, and millions of bodybuilders lay testament to that. As far as cancer goes, that's clearly just some fear tactic.

If you have some viable sources i.e. real, peer-reviewed science that connects keto to any of those things you stated, please share it. Otherwise I can assure you it's a very safe and incredible diet. You just might want to have your cholesterol levels checked every once in a while. But even that is probably not necessary. I'm still going to do it though. I don't believe anything I read, even if it supports my beliefs. I only know what I have experienced and tested. Keto passes my tests with flying colors - so far.
    Go with God.

Originally Posted by davidd19 View Post
    i personlly wanna do the Tkd dieet (the tarket keto dieet ) im starting today with my first workout!.
    so i do carbs before working out and some after .
    To come in ketosis for tkd do i need to do the 3steps that were posted on the first page .

3D. How to Enter Ketosis Quickly, Easily, and Reliably

Here is a full-proof method to enter ketosis:

Day 1:

- Do not eat anything after 6 p.m.

Day 2:

- Begin a strict ketogenic diet with 0-2% of calories attributed to carbohydrates

Day 3:

- Begin a normal ketogenic diet with 5% of calories attributed to carbohydrates.

If not already, you will soon be in ketosis in a short matter of time.

or isnt that really nessary for tkd trainers to come in ketoshis ?

much thnx
    This thread, being a sticky informational thread is not your best bet for getting the feedback you are after. Technically, this is not the place to ask questions. I would suggest starting a new thread in this same forum section and title it 'TKD question' or something like that. If I knew the answer to your question, I would answer it, but I've never done TKD.
    Go with God.