SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz

How to get a strong lower back?

What exercises should I do? I have a basic home gym with bench, power cage, barbells, DBs and bands.

Just before Christmas I strained my lower back near the base of my spine while deadlifting. I think this was down to a combination of factors:
    - I had stopped using a core belt
    - I had started squatting onto a lower box
    - I was doing lots of deadlift singles

Since then I have only squatted with the belt and have done no deadlifts apart from high rep SLDLs. I've been doing high rep band pullthroughs. What could I add? Should I slowly lower the reps and increase the weight of the SLDLs - or do something similar with regular DLs?

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good morning have helped my lower back strength enormously w/SLDL too
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Thanks Ironlife - I think GMs would provide a different force vector compared to SLDLs and such.

I suppose what I was getting at is should I be doing exercises that articulate the spine rather than just holding it tight? If I should be doing weighted hypers (say), then how do I do this with my basic home equipment?

Also, should I get some sacks or even atlas stones to practice more awkward/chaotic lifts?

I tried single handed deadlifts today. Kinda cool even with a pussy weight.

Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ironlife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Thanks Ironlife - I think GMs would provide a different force vector compared to SLDLs and such.

I suppose what I was getting at is should I be doing exercises that articulate the spine rather than just holding it tight? If I should be doing weighted hypers (say), then how do I do this with my basic home equipment?

Also, should I get some sacks or even atlas stones to practice more awkward/chaotic lifts?

I tried single handed deadlifts today. Kinda cool even with a pussy weight.
    Id love to get those massive 800lb tractor tires and throw that around your backyard! Good for the legs/ low back upper back infact all of the posterior chain. But your idea of an atlas stone sounds good too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    ''Bro, get yourself under control lol next thing we know Illy is gonna be 175 lbs, addicted to coke, involved in gang activity, and with a 365 max deadlift... ''-Blizzard589
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) pearldrummer is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why don't you do deadlifts? The reason you strained your back was probably bad form. I have done it a time or two. You start getting worn out and let your form slip just a little and there is that little pop and then a bit later life sucks. Since then I worked on my dailing in my form and I have been good to go.

Don't be scared of them, just be smart.
    ''You can either feel the pain of discipline or feel the pain of regret. The choice is yours.'' - Jim Rohn

-US ARMY-

Registered User ImGettingStrong's Avatar
    ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) ImGettingStrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    deadlift
    lower back extension(holding a 45 plate)
    Standing Good Mornings
    Seated Good Mornings

and mabey lying on your stomach doing "supermans" holding your legs and arms up for 2 seconds

and alot of core training!!

Originally Posted by pearldrummer View Post
    Why don't you do deadlifts? The reason you strained your back was probably bad form. I have done it a time or two. You start getting worn out and let your form slip just a little and there is that little pop and then a bit later life sucks. Since then I worked on my dailing in my form and I have been good to go.

Don't be scared of them, just be smart.
    I am kinda getting into SLDLs and might get progressively heavier with these... will I really be missing out if I don't do regular DLs?

Originally Posted by ImGettingStrong View Post
    deadlift
    lower back extension(holding a 45 plate)
    Standing Good Mornings
    Seated Good Mornings

and mabey lying on your stomach doing "supermans" holding your legs and arms up for 2 seconds

and alot of core training!!
    Supermans definitely.

Is the lower back extension done standing? I would do weighted hypers but don't have the equipment

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I wish there was a way to wear something like a belt but instead of supporting your back it just tells you if it rounds, like it beeps if it rounds so you know "arch" or whatever.

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seated good mornings, with your feet in front of you.

Originally Posted by -Lucifer View Post
    Seated good mornings, with your feet in front of you.
    I like the sound of this one...

-Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) -Lucifer has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I like the sound of this one...

westpa30 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mate - started doing SLDL's about 4 months back, and the results have been ridiculous.. really tightened and gave shape to my lower back (as well as blasted my hamstrings). Can't speak highly enough for that exercise - i was going as heavy as i could for 6-8 reps.

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    SLDLs would get my vote as well. I don't like good mornings because what do you do if you get stuck? SLDLs are similar, but if you can't lift the weight you can just drop it rather than have it pin you down.

RDLs are good too and similar to SLDLs, but shift the focus from the lower back to the glutes/hams.

Hmm, according to this, what I've been doing is more like a RDL:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/tra...l-vs-sldl.html

I don't round my back but OTOH the bar is a few inches in front of my shins... confused now.

I don't round my back but OTOH the bar is a few inches in front of my shins... confused now.
    This is the right way to perform the SLDL.

Last edited by -Lucifer; 03-14-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

A lot of people think or have thought they are doing SLDL when they are doing RDL, myself included.

I have injured my back in the past and it is still on and off painful at times. Romanian is has felt a lot more confortable than SL after my injure. Rounding my lower back is not the most appealing thing to me right now.

That being said, it does hit the lower back harder than Romanian...

Lifting to Avoid COVID-19 PeterGibbons316's Avatar
    PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PeterGibbons316 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Here is a wonderful explanation between the two (props to chazzy for the link):

http://www.emusclemag.com/content.php?cat=3&id=1323

This is the right way to perform the SLDL.

I would say I am doing it like that - I must have flexible hamstrings because I can touch the floor without rounding my back

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would think partial or slower reps of these would be more appropriate.

I would say I am doing it like that - I must have flexible hamstrings because I can touch the floor without rounding my back
    feels good man.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    That's not hard with knee flexion though =P Not to mention, variations in scapular movement can assist this. Like when we're upright, depression helps us touch. As our torso becomes prone, protraction helps us touch. As we grow inverted, scapular elevation/shrugging helps us touch.

Another issue might be how our weight is balanced over our feet. I find when I try to shift my weight onto my heels that my hips tend to move further back, when my weight is more on my forefoot then I don't need to do that as much. This gets shifted by stuff like holding weights too.

Thanks to all so far.

When I start deadlifting again, is there any reason to choose sumo vs. conventional? I was doing conventional before the incident.

When I start deadlifting again, is there any reason to choose sumo vs. conventional? I was doing conventional before the incident.
    If you have a short torso and long legs, give semi sumo or sumo a go.

If you have a short torso and long legs, give semi sumo or sumo a go.
    Thanks again Lucifer. I'll try pulling with a semi (!)