CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lightbulb Should I train less?

Okay so I'm just beginning my training, I've only been at it about a two weeks, but everything I see from researching online suggests taking a couple of days off a week (which I'm not doing).

I have also read that you should give each muscle 48 hours rest before training it again, which I am doing, so I "think" I'm along the right path.

I alternate upper-body/lower-body (so both upper and lower have one day on, one day off), I do a total of 3 sets of each exercise, although I don't do the sets after each other, I do a single set on each machine, move onto the next exercise, then when I've done them all start again, I don't rest between exercises (unless the machine is in use!), it takes me about an hour or so

I am achieving muscle failure (on the 3rd set I can only usually manage 70-80% of the reps).

Here's what I'm doing...

Upper Body:
    Preacher Curl - 65lbs x 12
    Incline Bench Press - 60lbs x 12
    Tricep Extension - 60lbs x 12
    Assisted Chin-up - 150lbs x 12 (my weight 175lbs)
    Assisted Drip - 150lbs x 12 (my weight 175lbs)
    Laternal Pull Down - 60lbs x 12
    Vertical Row - 90lbs x 12
    Pectoral Fly - 70lbs x 12
    Chest Pull Down - 95lbs x 12
    Fixed Lateral Pull Down - 70lbs x 12
    Row - 90lbs x 12
    Rear Deltoid Fly - 60lbs x 10
    Seated Dip - 95lbs x 10
    Bicep Curl (each arm) - 30lbs x 12
    Torso Rotation - 90lbs x 15

Lower Body:
    Leg Extensions 80lbs x 15
    Seated Leg Curl - 105lbs x 15
    Hip Adduction - 160lbs x 15
    Seated Leg Press - 195lbs x 15
    Hip Abduction - 115lbs x 15
    Glute Machine - 40lbs x 15
    Prone Leg Curl - 65lbs x 15
    Horizontal Calf - 190lbs x 15

Is there anything wrong with this approach? Should I be taking rest days? Some people I see suggest you can overtrain, other people say you can't, I'm confused! :-)

Thanks,

usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CodhubIV View Post
    Okay so I'm just beginning my training, I've only been at it about a two weeks, but everything I see from researching online suggests taking a couple of days off a week (which I'm not doing).

I have also read that you should give each muscle 48 hours rest before training it again, which I am doing, so I "think" I'm along the right path.

I alternate upper-body/lower-body (so both upper and lower have one day on, one day off), I do a total of 3 sets of each exercise, although I don't do the sets after each other, I do a single set on each machine, move onto the next exercise, then when I've done them all start again, I don't rest between exercises (unless the machine is in use!), it takes me about an hour or so

I am achieving muscle failure (on the 3rd set I can only usually manage 70-80% of the reps).

Here's what I'm doing...

Upper Body:
    Row - 90lbs x 12
    Seated Dip - 95lbs x 10

Lower Body:

Is there anything wrong with this approach? Should I be taking rest days? Some people I see suggest you can overtrain, other people say you can't, I'm confused! :-)

Thanks,
    OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WRONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR CRAZY BRO! that sooooooooooo much over training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kick that **** out the window! getting on ****ing Starting Strength, and get big.
    heres the link http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243
    "Live and Fly Standards High Delta Chi Till I Die"

"Your not alive unless your living."

"When you want to succeed as bad you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

"The Whole ****ing Nine Yards!"

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dday39 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    your routine sucks. check out the stickies and choose a proven program.

your routine lacks:

barbell work
    overhead press
    squat
    deadlift

just to name a few

vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) vannesb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Here's what I'm doing...

Upper Body:
    Row - 90lbs x 12
    Seated Dip - 95lbs x 10

Lower Body:

Thanks,

Wow,

Yes you need time to heal so the easy answer is yes you are over trainng. There are all kinds of good work out plans for your experiance on this web site, books etc

PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You know you need help when you curl more than you incline... Read the stickies

CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10) CodhubIV is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post

your routine lacks:

barbell work
    overhead press
    squat
    deadlift

just to name a few
    No this is true, although I think I've covered those muscle groups in other excercises, apart from the deadlife. I'll need to tack that one on, although I'm working some of those muscles with the inclined bench press.

Originally Posted by vannesb View Post
    Wow,

Yes you need time to heal so the easy answer is yes you are over trainng. There are all kinds of good work out plans for your experiance on this web site, books etc
    Darn, I'm a very keen person that's the problem. I'd like to be doing something in the gym every day. My DOMS has subsided now, I'm not really getting it - So I assumed that resting the musles for 48 hours and then working them again (with no pain or aching) would be rest enough.

Originally Posted by PhiSig2298 View Post
    You know you need help when you curl more than you incline... Read the stickies
    Sure do! Yes, I can barely lift a wet towel :-). I'm very weak on the chest and shoulders, I didn't really know this until I started doing the training, I guess it's a unusual movement for me that I don't naturally carry out very often.

Doing the 3 sets of 60lbs x 12 on the incline bench press is very hard for me. I can manage the full 12 on the last set but arms are quivering like crazy on the last 4-5!

PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PhiSig2298 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Seriously though, you're doing WAY too much... Read the stickies and find a routine that fits you (and if it doesn't incorporate Squats at least once a week, it's not a good workout). Good luck

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dday39 View Post

your routine lacks:

barbell work
    overhead press
    squat
    deadlift

just to name a few
    ^Yeah, ^this. You need to read the stickies and go with one of the tried & true routines. You are doing way too much. Way too many isolation exercises and not enough compound lifts like the ones listed above.

Originally Posted by mbinda View Post
    ^Yeah, ^this. You need to read the stickies and go with one of the tried & true routines. You are doing way too much. Way too many isolation exercises and not enough compound lifts like the ones listed above.
    Yer, I'll admit the dead lift is a big omission there.

Isn't working the muscles in isolation rather than compound movements better for gaining strength?

I thought the big boys (like Arny) used to train a couple of hours a day - What was their secret to doing this kind of thing but still allowing muscle growth and rest? (apart from steroids of course!)

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Isn't working the muscles in isolation rather than compound movements better for gaining strength?

I thought the big boys (like Arny) used to train a couple of hours a day - What was their secret to doing this kind of thing but still allowing muscle growth and rest? (apart from steroids of course!)
    You are a novice. Forget what anyone on juice does. You don't know enough to make up your own program. Read my sig.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    You are a novice. Forget what anyone on juice does. You don't know enough to make up your own program. Read my sig.
    Thanks, yes, definitely a novice ... but ... It was more of a question of, surely someones ability to rest and grow muscle does not change based on their experience (being all other things the same)?

So if a pro can train for hours (lets say a pro not juicing for arguments sake), why can't a novice (obviously against a lot less weight)?

Or am I misunderstanding and in-fact pro's don't train for hours? (or even a single hour)

Now if they do train for a long time, how are they doing it (without juicing!)?

JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) JakeM2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Here's what I'm doing...

Upper Body:
    Row - 90lbs x 12
    Seated Dip - 95lbs x 10

Lower Body:

Thanks,
    Even if you weren't over training, why would you want to work out with this routine, it makes me nauseous just imagining doing so many exercises. You could easily get better results with much less working out, change your routine man, that one is horrible.
    Why is my rep so low? I've never done anything to get bad reps, wtf?

usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10) usfbullsfan100 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

yo just stfu and get on one of the program listed in jgreystokes sig.
    "Live and Fly Standards High Delta Chi Till I Die"

"Your not alive unless your living."

"When you want to succeed as bad you want to breathe, then you'll be successful."

"The Whole ****ing Nine Yards!"

★★★USF MISC CREW★★★

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    ... surely someones ability to rest and grow muscle does not change based on their experience (being all other things the same)?
    It does change:

A novice can gain on low volume, limited number of exercises. He can hit the same muscle groups with high frequency. And he can recover enough to add iron to the bar with great regularity. The reason is that he is still too weak to overstress the body with the weights he is moving.

A more advanced guy is strong enough that he can't simply squat three times a week and recover enough to add 5lbs every time! He might need a periodized program that schedules 5lbs a month, or a quarter, increase on his squat!

So if a pro can train for hours (lets say a pro not juicing for arguments sake), why can't a novice (obviously against a lot less weight)?
    A pro is juicing. And mightn't have a real job not related to training.

A novice doesn't need very high volume at all to get from the empty bar to say three plates on the squat. You might do that with Starting Strength.

Or am I misunderstanding and in-fact pro's don't train for hours? (or even a single hour)

Now if they do train for a long time, how are they doing it (without juicing!)?
    They do train for hours, and they juice, or they couldn't be competitive.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Talking Back again!

Back again, I've been pretty busy training and working but just wanted to report the changes I've made and the effects (so far)... And still that final last bit of confusion I still have!

I switched to:

Mon: Upper Body Compound
    Tue: Lower Body
    Wed: Cardio
    Thur: Upper Body Isolation
    Fri: Lower Body
    Saturday: Cardio
    Sunday: Day off or light swimming

I incorporated more overhead lifting (which was absent before) - That's definitely where I'm weakest. Lifting completely vertically or the inclined bench press - Pectoral fly is pretty decent now (100lbs) so I guess it's probably my back and shoulders that need to catch up rather than my chest.

And now I'm allowing that 72 hour rest from both upper and lower body.

I'm managing to get DOMS on virtually all the muscles I'm trying to work (mainly the extremes of the muscle rather in the middle, which I'm guessing is because I'm not used to lifting in the extreme range of motions, the kind of thing that you don't generally do in real life).

In the last 6 weeks or so I've put on 6lbs, and I've increased the weigh I'm lifting on every exercise (sticking at 12 reps - 3 sets) --- So going well! :-)

BUT - I'm still a bit confused from the barrage of information on celebrities training, and if they are B.S-ing, delusional or juicing (or all 3!). For example, Will Smith reckons he was in the gym 6-7 hours a day before filming the Mohammed Ali movie - I hear similar figures for these actors training up for big roles and bulking up (Christian Bale, Mark Walberg, High Jackman etc...) and for boxers.

Now is this true? If so, how come they are getting away with not allowing the 72 hour rest? Or are they just full of S__T? :-)

I'm doing about 45-60 minutes per day, my understanding is there's no point increasing this as it won't make a difference - If there was a point in doing it, I would - So is there? I'm hitting each machine as hard as I can, so on the 3rd set it's very-very hard to hit the 12th rep.

RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000) RockCrab is a name known to all. (+5000)
    apart from the deadlife. I'll need to tack that one on, although I'm working some of those muscles with the inclined bench press.
    You're doing it wrong, both of them.

Originally Posted by RockCrab View Post
    You're doing it wrong, both of them.
    Not sure what you mean but you're replying to one of my very old posts. This was mainly an update to say all is going well with the suggestions and changes I received "but" I'm still confused over the celebrity/athlete uber hour-age per-day at the gym and if it's B.S or not.

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No this is true, although I think I've covered those muscle groups in other excercises, apart from the deadlife. I'll need to tack that one on, although I'm working some of those muscles with the inclined bench press.

^Wait, what? Deadlife?? WTF?? you work some of those muscles with incline press? WHAT? wait, what? oh man, I'm so f**king lost right now.

Here is my advice..

1) squats
    2) deadlifts (not deadlife -that sounds kinda grim reaperish)
    3) bench press
    4) overhead press
    5) barbell rows
    6) dips
    7) pull ups
    8) lots of good, clean food
    9) whole milk
    10) lost of rest