cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

dirt cheap standard bar

I posted this on another board and I thought some here might be interested:

For a bar that's light, but fairly strong, you could get a 3/4" (1" exterior diameter) black-iron water-pipe from Home Depot. They usually sell a 5 foot length, which would be a good length that wouldn't require you to cut it. For the internal collars, you could use a set screw coupling cut in half (with the edges filed smooth so it doesn't hurt the hand).
    http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...91&R=100135091

That should give you a dirt-cheap light bar that will last for a while. It'll actually be a better bar than the ones often sold with the concrete weight sets.

cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cthulhupun is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    While you're there, you can pick up some spring clamps to use as collars.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    I know a lot of people who use these for that purpose.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by cthulhupun View Post
    While you're there, you can pick up some spring clamps to use as collars.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    I know a lot of people who use these for that purpose.
    real ones are cheaper.

http://www.edfsuperstore.com/servlet...eights,/Detail
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    OP how much will your bar hold before it bends?
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

Mine holds 110lbs without bending. I don't know the max, as I have three Olympic bars that I use for real lifting. The post was originally for a guy who wanted to teach his mom how to lift, but she couldn't lift a real bar. I would assume at the point where his mom started lifting real weights, he would switch over to using a real bar.

I know real spring clips are cheaper (minus shipping), but the spring clips seem to be a popular option in many of the powerlifting gyms I've seen. I grew up in a rural town with no sporting goods stores for miles, so I know how being handy with what is available to you can be helpful.

Registered User IvankoBarbellCo's Avatar
    IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IvankoBarbellCo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You can go Detroit-Style on the plates and use manhole covers too

Vinko
    ()---() York Barbell Club #50 ()---()

Ivanko Barbell Company
    official website: www.ivankobarbell.com

View: //www.instagram.com/ivankobarbell
    Join: //www.********.com/ivankobarbell
    Follow: //www.twitter.com/ivankobarbell
    Watch: //www.youtube.com/ivankobarbell
    Newsletter: http://www.ivankobarbell.com/contact.html

Yes, we do lift some odd objects in Detroit, although I didn't know it was actually referred to as "Detroit-Style." I did see a few manhole covers used as plates when I lived there, as well as cinderblocks on pipes. Old tires (which are all over Detroit) are great for lifting/pulling/flipping/etc. It's proof that lack of quality equipment is just an excuse. A person can get a pretty good workout for very little money if they are creative.

That's not to discount the great quality of equipment coming out today.
    Attached Images