jonhyboyll has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how often do I have to change my routine?

I have a friend who told me that I should change my workout routine every 5 weeks, because the musle get used to the excercise, but my trainer told me that I should never ever change my routine, that the lifting more weight is what makes the muscle grow, what should I do? I mean maybe my new trainer doesnt want to train me, or maybe I just have to add more weight

Squat or remove thy self caerus13's Avatar
    caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000) caerus13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Muscle grows from progressive overload (adding more weight), period.

Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz Wildtim has the mod powerz
    It is only worth changing your routine when it is no longer working and you know it is the routine not diet or sleep.

That is usually far longer than 5 weeks. At least months and for a beginner it could be a year or more.

Even then, once your routine stalls, you don't have to completely change it sometimes just switching one exercise or tweeking the order to emphasise a weak point can often get things moving again.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No. 11

"As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another" Proverbs 27:17

tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50) tooothpick will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jonhyboyll View Post
    I have a friend who told me that I should change my workout routine every 5 weeks, because the musle get used to the excercise, but my trainer told me that I should never ever change my routine, that the lifting more weight is what makes the muscle grow, what should I do? I mean maybe my new trainer doesnt want to train me, or maybe I just have to add more weight
    The truth is somewhere between the two perspectives. Do you know the saying, "If it's not broken, don't fix it"? Same thing. If your routine is allowing you to continually add more weight or repetitions, then you don't change it. If it's stopped working (and this can be because it's a bad routine, the reps are too high, volume too much, etc) then you may want to change your routine.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jonhyboyll View Post
    I have a friend who told me that I should change my workout routine every 5 weeks, because the musle get used to the excercise,
    Where did your friend come up with "5 weeks,"OP? Why not 3 or 4, or 6 or 7?

Just curious.

lifting more weight is what makes the muscle grow,
    The trainer got this part correct.

No real reason to change your routine unless your goals change. When a particular exercise refuses to progress for 3 workouts in a row, no matter how hard you try to move it, simply substitute a different exercise for the same bodypart, and work to progress the new exercise.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733