surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Working out around Work...

Hey all...

I just started a new job and am having problems figuring out how to balance work, home life, sleeping and working out. I have a fairly physical job and am outside for a good 8 hours a day. I would LOVE to plan out everything workout wise, but I get like 10-20 hours of overtime every week, and do not know my schedule until the day before.

Does anyone have any suggestions for working out consistantly (at least 4 days a week) with such a hectic schedule? Its early days (I will be at work at 0500 tomorrow) but sometimes late nights (didnt get back to the office until 7pm on Tuesday). It's driving me CRAZY. Any help you can give me planning wise (and perhaps energy wise as well), is appreciated.

Thanks!

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by surfgirl87 View Post
    Hey all...

I just started a new job and am having problems figuring out how to balance work, home life, sleeping and working out. I have a fairly physical job and am outside for a good 8 hours a day. I would LOVE to plan out everything workout wise, but I get like 10-20 hours of overtime every week, and do not know my schedule until the day before.

Does anyone have any suggestions for working out consistantly (at least 4 days a week) with such a hectic schedule? Its early days (I will be at work at 0500 tomorrow) but sometimes late nights (didnt get back to the office until 7pm on Tuesday). It's driving me CRAZY. Any help you can give me planning wise (and perhaps energy wise as well), is appreciated.

Thanks!
    Yeah you can definately fit in working out with a schedule like that, but as for specific planning, you really don't, you just do what you can. The first 2 and a half yrs of lifting my life was exactly like that, spent at least 60hrs a week at work and I never knew until that day what time I'd be done every day depending on whatever was going to go wrong at work. It was always tiring (especially in the summer, I'm outside too) so if you need to just take an extra rest day every now and then then do it. I would never plan a day by day workout schedule, but always made it to the gym 3-4 days a week. I'd start on like a Monday, do a back day, then plan to do chest the next available gym day I could get, could be Tues, Wed, maybe Thurs, but don't stress if you have to put it off an extra day or two. And use your weekends to your advantage. I still love going in Sat mornings and just taking as much time as I want. You'll get it done if you really want it. Don't get too set on working out at a specific time of day - doesn't matter if it's 9pm or 5am, you should be able to get in a decent workout as long as you're sleeping and eating enough.

I have a home gym now too in addition to going to a 24hr gym. I ALWAYS bring my gym bag to work just in case, and save time by driving directly from work to the gym, but if I really want to knock out a few squats or something I can just go home and do them there. So maybe a home gym is something you want to look into.
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50) fitinidaho will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I 2nd the home gym. In the summer months I work long hours too and it's physically draining.
    One thing that helped me is to do full body workouts. There was no way I could predict when I could workout so when I did, I took full advantage of it.

SweetSpot0220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SweetSpot0220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SweetSpot0220 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Wink

Originally Posted by fitinidaho View Post
    I 2nd the home gym. In the summer months I work long hours too and it's physically draining.
    One thing that helped me is to do full body workouts. There was no way I could predict when I could workout so when I did, I took full advantage of it.
    My home gym is my saving grace. . . . Can't really afford a gym membership in today's economy. I work full time and attend college at night, so fitting in workouts has been a challenge. I am on break right now before I jump into a new degree program this fall . . . I am a little anxious about being able to fit in workouts when the time comes . . . so I am hitting it hard now.

I use DVD's at home for cardio and weight training. I too do full body weights workouts . I feel like I must be accountable as I have no excuses with my awesome home gym. I read in the forum somewhere that "plan to workout everyday, so when the days come you can't, you are ahead of the game" . . . I try to remember that advice. Good luck!

surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50) surfgirl87 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm hoping that once I get into the swing of things it won't be a problem. I just went from working 5 hours a day to working 8-12 and being awake at 0400. It also involves balancing my family life. My husband has a schedule where he is home 48 hours, then gone 48 hours and gone every other weekend. So when I get home at 5(or 7) I just want to spend time with him. I think I will try to work out at the very least when he is gone and then always on the weekends. I should probably sleep sometime in there also.

Thanks for all of your responses. I have P90X dvds so maybe every once in a while I will through one of those in too.