Chillin' In Ma Igloo Canuckistanian's Avatar
    Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000) Canuckistanian is a name known to all. (+5000)

Planche/Planche Push-Ups..... What Muscles Are Used?

I'm trying to figure out what my goals are for 2011, and achieving planche push-ups seems both challenging and attainable.

What muscles are used most in this exercise?

cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) cavvz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Canuckistanian View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what my goals are for 2011, and achieving planche push-ups seems both challenging and attainable.

What muscles are used most in this exercise?
    its core work!

4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 4one5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't post a link yet but, I suggest browsing this site and even it's forum:

wvw.gymnasticbodies.com/

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    "Most" is a subjective issue.

Your calves/hamstrings/glutes will be keeping your leg pointed up, but more significantly there's huge lower back strain keeping the pelvis from falling down. It's not like push ups where the weight of the pelvis is born on the feet.

As for the arms, I figure a lot of anterior deltoid and chest keeping the rib cage at that extreme angle with the humeri like that.

I think with the handes so far behind the elbows that the biceps might be working, I'm not sure though since I've never done a planche, just on how it looks and how it feels when I try to.

Not sure what the triceps are up to in this. Maybe chilling. Anyone who's done one ever feel them doing anything?

BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BombDonald has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Planches are harder than a priest at a playground. You will be limited by your lower back strength and your lower body mass. Guys with big ole' legs won't be able to planches most of the time.

Front delts are used a lot. My anatomy class went over this.

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This probably covers some of the goals you're looking for...

http://www.beastskills.com/tutorials/

0zero0zero has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by BombDonald View Post
    Planches are harder than a priest at a playground.
    LOL. That is hilarious.

I'm going to revive this thread...

I've been trying to do planches on and off (once a month?) for a year now. Only started getting it down a few days ago (with 3 poor form planche pushups). I find that it works my delts, chest, back and gluts the most. I also find that balance is just as important as strength. I probably had the strength to do it for awhile now, but only recently I realized how important balance is. your balance is determined by how your arms are positioned along with your hands. Your arms should be completely straight, and hands by your waist.

Hopefully this kinda gives you a better idea of how to do it if you havnt already gotten it down.

hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) hakbulk has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by cavvz View Post
    its core work!
    LOL not only that but there is shoulders lower back and abs obliques and lower abs so work those ou then youll be closer and closer to it

Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100) Iliander is not very well liked. (-100)
    lol @ people calling it "core work".

it's basically an isometric front raise. there's mainly a lot of stress on the front delts and biceps, and some on the chest. the lower back will keep the legs horizontal with the rest of the body.

push-ups in the planche hold however, will also activate the triceps and more of the back.

everything gets worked during planche push-ups. keep in mind good form planche push-ups are extremely difficult.
    "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved." Romans 10:9