xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Shoulder stretching to fix bicep tendon "click"

Hey guys, quick question. If I do a lateral raise (right arm only left is fine) I feel a "pinching" in the medial portion of my delts. If I move above parallel it clicks on the way down. I have found that if I rotate my hand (picture me giving a thumbs down) the click doesn't occur.

Now from my research its a shoulder impigment involving the long head bicep tendon. And the clicking feels similair to "snapping triceps" syndrome...where the tendon pops over the groove in the elbow. Would doing shoulder stretches, such as shoulder dislocations help with the problem? I have slowly learned how to fix any issues with clicking in the rest of my body (shoulder blade popping during pull ups and elbows during dips...it was a matter of strength)

But this one seems to not be "fixed" by strengthening I don't have any issues shoulder pressing. Just doing lateral type moves with my right arm. The last thing I need is to develop tendonitis or something.
    No fap month?

Fux it! No Fap Till I'm At 12% Body Fat

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by xSCMxKeraed View Post
    Hey guys, quick question. If I do a lateral raise (right arm only left is fine) I feel a "pinching" in the medial portion of my delts. If I move above parallel it clicks on the way down. I have found that if I rotate my hand (picture me giving a thumbs down) the click doesn't occur.

But this one seems to not be "fixed" by strengthening I don't have any issues shoulder pressing. Just doing lateral type moves with my right arm. The last thing I need is to develop tendonitis or something.
    It's always a good idea to make sure you are well balanced push/pull (chest/back) routine as well as to spend time to stretch and strengthen your RC muscles. With that being said, what you describe sounds like impingement to me (not a MD), which involves more than just the LHB tendon, but also the supraspinatus, the bursa, etc. Those structures get compressed underneath the acromion, get inflamed, swelling and pain occurs, restricts blood flow, structures weaken, can tear or get frayed, and so on. In some cases than can result in a complete rupture of one or more of them if it gets bad enough. In my mind the thing to do is have a sports medicine physician (not a GP, not a chiro) take a look at it. An x-ray is good for identifying if you have any predisposing factors (e.g., hooked acromion) or any other gross bony abnormalities. My guess is if there is nothing obviously amiss from imaging and some basic clinical tests they'll start you off on a conservative path with NSAIDs and ICE and see what happens. If it is impingement syndrome then you need to, along with managing the inflammation, give lifting a break for a week, then come back easy, especially w.r.t. pressing movements; especially overhead presses, lateral/front DB raises where the elbow passes the shoulder elevation wise. No upright rows. Easy on bench, especially BB bench.

Clicking and popping can result from impingement, and also other things, such as damage to the labrum.

Ultimately, my advice is to see a doctor. If you are not ready for that, it's not crazy to take a couple of weeks off and return gradually. But, if it hasn't improved, it's time to go seek medical attention.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by xSCMxKeraed View Post

Now from my research its a shoulder impigment involving the long head bicep tendon. And the clicking feels similair to "snapping triceps" syndrome...where the tendon pops over the groove in the elbow. Would doing shoulder stretches, such as shoulder dislocations help with the problem? I have slowly learned how to fix any issues with clicking in the rest of my body (shoulder blade popping during pull ups and elbows during dips...it was a matter of strength)

Mlsman71 could not have said it any better. His post is excellent. Outstanding advice.

My input is as such. If you lift weights, you will develop tendinitis at some point in time. Overtraining and handling too heavy of weight over time provides the perfect conditions for any healthy person running the risk of developing tendinitis.

Your situation provides a good time to review your training log. See if your providing your body necessary "deloading" periods. Have you increased the amount of poundage you will lift too fast? Are push & pull workouts, well balanced in your regime? etc...

Keep us posted. Be careful out there!

xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50) xSCMxKeraed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The reason I figured it was impingement is due to the fact that if I lift my arm over head (moving from the side in a lateral motion...I believe its adduction?) I feel a tightness just above being parallel to the floor. Its between the medial and anterior head of the bicep, and my research has led me to believe its the long head of the bicep.

The clickin occurs if I bring my arm down (when it is past being parallel to the floor). It is uncomfortable, but the pain can go aanywhere from a 6 to a 0. Sometimes the clicking is just a click and other times it is loud enough to be a POP.

I don't experience any trouble rowing, benching, overhead pressing. Even barbell curls. I just develop this pain in my right shoulder during palms down laterals. If I do a thumbs down motion it doesn't click.

I will give stretching a shot. I currently experience this clicking even without any weights. Just the weight of my arm causes it. I figure if there is no improvement from stretching ill see a doc. I'm currently nursing a fallen arch. A little overzealous on a barefoot run so now I'm suffering some terrible inner ankle pain. I thought it was broken till i realized that if I flex properly and create the "arch" the pain is completely gone. But that's a different story.
    No fap month?

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SnakeE117 View Post
    Mlsman71 could not have said it any better. His post is excellent. Outstanding advice.
    Thanks Snake

OP - usually if there is significant inflammation of the LHB tendon you will sense it on something like DB curls. Palms up, elbow flexed @ 90 degrees puts maximum load on the tendon/bicep and you'll notice pain if it's aggravated. A lot of times if it is hurting when not working out the sufferer will be able to point straight to the bicipital groove (sorta of anterior humeral head) when locating the pain. The pinching near the medial head of the deltoid/acromion while in abduction & flexion is typical of impingement syndrome. Shoulderdoc.uk is a great sight. It has a few tests on it for isolating the various parts of the shoulder (e.g., Neer impingement test). I may have already mentioned this, so forgive me if I have.

The movement, (arm out to your side) is abduction. Bringing you arm in is adduction. Easiest way to remember is "ADD" brings things together, like addition.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

jterp7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jterp7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jterp7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jterp7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Thanks Snake

OP - usually if there is significant inflammation of the LHB tendon you will sense it on something like DB curls. Palms up, elbow flexed @ 90 degrees puts maximum load on the tendon/bicep and you'll notice pain if it's aggravated. A lot of times if it is hurting when not working out the sufferer will be able to point straight to the bicipital groove (sorta of anterior humeral head) when locating the pain. The pinching near the medial head of the deltoid/acromion while in abduction & flexion is typical of impingement syndrome. Shoulderdoc.uk is a great sight. It has a few tests on it for isolating the various parts of the shoulder (e.g., Neer impingement test). I may have already mentioned this, so forgive me if I have.

The movement, (arm out to your side) is abduction. Bringing you arm in is adduction. Easiest way to remember is "ADD" brings things together, like addition.
    I have the same clicking as the OP, which also goes away when rotating with thumb pointed down. That said there is no pain when flexing by itself or against resistance (I even tried a chinup). Bicep groove has given me pain for the last 3 months though..typically more affected by pushing motions. I was also diagnosed with impingement, but I feel like I tore something else since the bicep tendon?, if that's what's clicking is moving around because the tendon is out of the groove.

Ya mine is similar to snapping tricep syndrome. But it occurs near the front of my shoulder. It clicks with movement. I've laid off the workouts for a bit though. Currently suffering from a collapsed arch and turf toe.
    No fap month?