Thread: Shin splints?

Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Shin splints?

A little history on me, I played soccer all my life growing up and was in the Marines for 4 years so I did a good amount of running. Up until about 6 months before I got out(June 2008), when I'd run I get what seemed to be severe shin splints. My shins and even calves would tighten up so tight that it'd be hard to raise the front of my feet up to take a step. This even happens when just "power walking" like on a hike.

I'm rehabbing from shoulder surgery and want to get back into running but this has held me back for the last year or so. I stretch the shiit out of my claves and shin to the best that I can. Is this something I need to take up with the doctor or did I all of a sudden learn bad run technique? Any tips/advice?

Just an FYI, I've tried a few different shoes trying to see if that was the issue but have yet to notice a dramatic improvement. I've used Asics and even got some of the Nike Free's to try out "barefoot" running that everyone seems to be raving about now.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kansas City Chiefs
    Kansas City Royals
    Kansas Jayhawks
    LeBron James

markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10) markymark321 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Iczer View Post
    A little history on me, I played soccer all my life growing up and was in the Marines for 4 years so I did a good amount of running. Up until about 6 months before I got out(June 2008), when I'd run I get what seemed to be severe shin splints. My shins and even calves would tighten up so tight that it'd be hard to raise the front of my feet up to take a step. This even happens when just "power walking" like on a hike.

I'm rehabbing from shoulder surgery and want to get back into running but this has held me back for the last year or so. I stretch the shiit out of my claves and shin to the best that I can. Is this something I need to take up with the doctor or did I all of a sudden learn bad run technique? Any tips/advice?

Just an FYI, I've tried a few different shoes trying to see if that was the issue but have yet to notice a dramatic improvement. I've used Asics and even got some of the Nike Free's to try out "barefoot" running that everyone seems to be raving about now.
    Are you getting any pins and needles in your leg as well? Need to be careful of compartment syndrome.

Try some gentle massages on your tibialis anterior (muscle at the front of your shank) if you feel that you need to loosen it up. Also give that area a good stretch.

Have you had this pain in the past or is it something new? Perhaps you should get someone to look at how you're moving around to get the root caues of this problem.

Hope it helps.
    My website: http://www.posturedirect.com
    The sole purpose of creating PostureDirect.com is to help those who want to improve their posture. Come visit :)

ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Your problem is more than likely one of two reasons (or both):

1) You need to do some endurance (15+) type work to the tibialis anterior (shin muscle)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-k7hhAMbY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19529...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zxSpc0lZP0

2) Your individual running gait (the way your foot heel and ball strike the floor during running) is causing the issue.

http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/questions/r...-running-gait/

I would say go with both possibilities until one is ruled out. Do some tibialis anterior work, but also try this.

On grass with no sharp objects, dog mess, or other nasties, try running with your shoes and socks off and see if the problem persists, ceases or is lessened. Taking the running shoes off changes most peoples running gait (shorter more even steps). If running without shoes helps the problem (no symptoms/you run further before the symptoms arise) then its defo your running gait and you should try to develop a similar running gait with shoes on as shoes off (shorter more even strides), but some tibialis anterior work cant hurt either
    Last edited by ger2oo5; 04-03-2011 at 06:59 AM.

Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Iczer is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Thanks for the tips, I"m going to check out the links and see if this stuff helps! I really want to be able to run distances again!
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kansas City Chiefs
    Kansas City Royals
    Kansas Jayhawks
    LeBron James

ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ger2oo5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks for the tips, I"m going to check out the links and see if this stuff helps! I really want to be able to run distances again!
    If money isnt a problem, get your running gait assessed. According to this link http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/questions/r...-running-gait/ it might be free

Good Luck

darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50) darudende will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Iczer, I get shin splints every time I run. I was born with flat feet, no arch whatsoever, broke my leg in multiple places when I was 5, have sever over-pronation, and heel strike.

My shin splints went away as soon as I switched my running gait from heel-striking to forefoot running...although then I experienced plantar-fasciitis-like pain...sucks having poor genetics

Try fore-foot running, it worked for me in getting rid of shin splints but I'm just a poorly built runner.