Glutillius Maximus GluteStrength's Avatar
    GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What is a good beginner powerlifting routine?

I'm not new to lifting weights, just new to powerlifting style workouts.

What's a good one to start out with for a beginner like myself?

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Starting Strength, 5/3/1, 5x5
    Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SPFjudge has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    westside, nothing but westside.

Its also a good idea to have some great training partners. You need one guy to spot and one guy to yell "back back back" as you squat.

strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50) strongjim will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SPFjudge View Post
    westside, nothing but westside.

Its also a good idea to have some great training partners. You need one guy to spot and one guy to yell "back back back" as you squat.
    Nope, SPF judge wrong again. You need 5 fat guys to spot you, 2 fat guys to scream at you, and another fat guy to film your attempt.
    Squat 425
    Bench 275
    Dead 500

USAPL 1200lb total
    Colorado State Championships 12/03/11

GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10) GluteStrength is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm a lone wolf in the gym, my friends.

I will look into Westside.

But also, it would be nice if someone could also break things down even more for me here. Will Westside just give me this initial surge of strength in order to do other routines in the future? After you're finished one routine, what do you do? On to the next microcycle?

jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jcameron28 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    lul if you only do one microcycle of a program and then switch you aren't going to be going very far

unless you want dat dere muscle confusion
    Aesthetic goals: achieve doyouevenliftmode

Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000) Fluster is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by GluteStrength View Post
    I'm a lone wolf in the gym, my friends.

I will look into Westside.

But also, it would be nice if someone could also break things down even more for me here. Will Westside just give me this initial surge of strength in order to do other routines in the future? After you're finished one routine, what do you do? On to the next microcycle?
    Originally Posted by Fluster View Post

Koyongi: I am going to accomplish this by following a haphazard training system, and forging elite fitness.

breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) breathinglife has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The only person in this thread you listened to was a troll with Ray Charles as his avatar.

QFT.
    637/390tng/615 - belt/wraps, best gym lifts.
    600/370/600 - best competition lifts.
    575/330/560 - best competition lifts at 181 raw.
    "I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." - 1 Cor 9:27

Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000) Metal Jerk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    westside

BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000) BIGbird61 is just really nice. (+1000)

this. you need to learn the basic before you get into westside. even when you are more experienced these are good programs
    ***Viking Crew***
    not like i'm big. like actual bigbird

aka littlebitch

MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MadDogMalesh is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by strongjim View Post
    Nope, SPF judge wrong again. You need 5 fat guys to spot you, 2 fat guys to scream at you, and another fat guy to film your attempt.
    Fat hairy white guy who shaves his head and grows a goatee while binging on McDonalds and listening to heavy metal music but can put up massive weight in the squat, bench press, and deadlift.

Said lifts are done with the smallest range of motion possible while wearing suits with hydraulics.

Said McDonalds is offset by anabolic steroids which build a massive amount of muscle. You just can't see it though because all that muscle is behind a layer of fat because powerlifters weigh 308+ pounds.

Nonetheless, powerlifters are strong as hell and could kick your ass. How many powerlifters does it take to perform a single squat? Seven: one to perform the squat, one to spot from the back, two on each side, and one to scream and film.
    blahhhhh
    MISC STRENGTH CREW

So if I decide to go either the route of Starting Strength or 5x5, what comes next after I'm done with those routines??

swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000) swolegantor is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by GluteStrength View Post
    So if I decide to go either the route of Starting Strength or 5x5, what comes next after I'm done with those routines??
    By the time you are "Done" with them. You will know. If you are consistent you can make gains with linear progressions like this for a good 2-3 years easily.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but rather the one most responsive to change.

Originally Posted by swolegantor View Post
    By the time you are "Done" with them. You will know. If you are consistent you can make gains with linear progressions like this for a good 2-3 years easily.
    So you can keep using Starting Strength or 5x5 for 2-3 years with obviously the weight on the bar changing/increasing and you can milk those routines for that long?

Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mattxj will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yep.

Originally Posted by Mattxj View Post
    Yep.
    Thanks, but could you guys expand a tad further for me?

Those programs are about 8 weeks long with a deloading week somewhere in the middle. Once the 8 weeks end, do you just restart the program, only this time with higher weight to start out with in the beginning and end up somewhere heavier by the end? Just keep repeating?

None of those programs are 8 weeks long. The spreadsheets are 8-16 weeks long. Read the accompanying material.

Intense as fuk bro austin.j.taylor's Avatar
    austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) austin.j.taylor has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by strongjim View Post
    You also need big ron, whose only job is to spot people and clean up the puke and used needles from the gym floor.
    ★cVc★

My Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174578931