ThePhoenix86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Please help me decide what I need to do here

Hello everyone. I am 5'11 and I used to weigh 293 pounds about a year ago. Now i weigh about 208 pounds. I did this eating right and doing cardio. I never touched any weights.

I still look dam fat(see pic).I am wondering If I should continue doing cardio to lose more weight and then start lifiting, or start lifting now. I don't have much muscle at all, but I eventually want to gain muscle and look cut.

What do you guys suggest that I do? Should I continue doing cardio or only do weights? I really do not want to gain any more fat whatsoever. Thanks for reading my post.
    Attached Images

Starvation Mode GO! NitrogenWidget's Avatar
    NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Check out my progress pics in my bodyspace.
    I can honestly say lifting heavy along with cardio got me where I am now.

When I say heavy I mean 5x5 type workout.
    That's what I used once I stopped being in pain from lifting weights for the first time in almost 8 yrs.

Originally Posted by NitrogenWidget View Post
    Check out my progress pics in my bodyspace.
    I can honestly say lifting heavy along with cardio got me where I am now.

When I say heavy I mean 5x5 type workout.
    That's what I used once I stopped being in pain from lifting weights for the first time in almost 8 yrs.
    cool i saw your pics nice work. did you use free weights? did you have to eat more when you started lifting?

thanks.

built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10) built4tennis is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good work man, keep it up. IMO, you should add weights 3x a week (target every muscle group once a week, split up into 3 seperate workouts) to your current cardio regimen.

kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    First of all, I want to say congratulations on your weight loss. Sounds like you are very dedicated.
    Second, you need to lift. You should have been lifting all along. If you still want to do cardio, thats fine. But you need to shift your focus from cardio to lifting.
    As said above, lift heavy (as you can).
    Starting Strength program sounds perfect for you. Check out the sticky for specifics.
    Third, dont know what your diet is, but if youve lost 80 pounds, Im sure your cutting.
    Id suggest eating back at maintenance for awhile (or over/clean bulk). You are going to need the calories for muscle growth.
    With that said, you should also expect to make some excellent newbie gains so that should help keep you motivated.
    Good luck.

Originally Posted by kllrbee View Post
    First of all, I want to say congratulations on your weight loss. Sounds like you are very dedicated.
    Second, you need to lift. You should have been lifting all along. If you still want to do cardio, thats fine. But you need to shift your focus from cardio to lifting.
    As said above, lift heavy (as you can).
    Starting Strength program sounds perfect for you. Check out the sticky for specifics.
    Third, dont know what your diet is, but if youve lost 80 pounds, Im sure your cutting.
    Id suggest eating back at maintenance for awhile (or over/clean bulk). You are going to need the calories for muscle growth.
    With that said, you should also expect to make some excellent newbie gains so that should help keep you motivated.
    Good luck.
    thanks. My gym does not have a squat rack. is there anything wrong with using dumbells instead of a bench press ?

kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500) kllrbee is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    No squat rack? And they call themselves a gym? LOL.

Well, I believe that starting strength is very specific and it is not recomended to deviate from the program in any way. But Im not sure, so you might want to do a search on that for other posts that have asked the same question.

While nothing takes place of squatting, you might be able to do lunges and DB squats. Ive always felt that it was tougher doing DB squats tho, cuz of the difficulty trying to get the DB's up in position.

As far as benching, I think many would agree that DB benching is a perfectly good substitute for BB benching. Maybe even better in some regards. I dont BB bench anymore due to shoulder discomfort. I only use DB's. I like how it works the stabilizer muscles and also getting that extra stretch.

My 2 cents.

drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250) drewsedg has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Of course you still look fat. You are. That isn't meant to be mean its just the truth. I am right there with you. I started at 295lbs and I am down to 205. I've got at least 25-30lbs to go. Even that won't be enough to give me a 6 pack though. That is probably going to take ~40lbs.

You should be able to replace some of your cardio with resistance training without interfering with your weight loss much if any at all. If your goal is to eventually put on more muscle mass then by all means start lifting now.
    04/2010 - 295 Fattest
    11/11/11 - 171.8

Originally Posted by kllrbee View Post
    No squat rack? And they call themselves a gym? LOL.

Well, I believe that starting strength is very specific and it is not recomended to deviate from the program in any way. But Im not sure, so you might want to do a search on that for other posts that have asked the same question.

While nothing takes place of squatting, you might be able to do lunges and DB squats. Ive always felt that it was tougher doing DB squats tho, cuz of the difficulty trying to get the DB's up in position.

As far as benching, I think many would agree that DB benching is a perfectly good substitute for BB benching. Maybe even better in some regards. I dont BB bench anymore due to shoulder discomfort. I only use DB's. I like how it works the stabilizer muscles and also getting that extra stretch.

My 2 cents.
    Yea its a YMCA i don't see one there. They have alot of machines. anyway i will try doing some DB stuff. they have tons of it there. how do you feel about doing a full body workout every 3 days. I made something up like this

Back-Lat pulldown
    Abs-Abd machine
    Chest-dumbell presses
    triceps-skullcrushers
    biceps-db curls
    legs-leg press
    legs-leg curls
    shoulders-shoulder raises with db's

ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    congrats but you really should lift some weights, I was over 300 pounds and the same height as you. I'm about your same weight as well and lifting weights really helps.
    Attached Images

Originally Posted by ZWahab View Post
    congrats but you really should lift some weights, I was over 300 pounds and the same height as you. I'm about your same weight as well and lifting weights really helps.
    looks good bro. compared to you im a bit of a flabby mess. i need to start lifting. can you please tell me what you were doing

ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10) ZWahab is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ThePhoenix86 View Post
    looks good bro. compared to you im a bit of a flabby mess. i need to start lifting. can you please tell me what you were doing

Lift weights 4x a week 20 minutes of cardio after.

SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000) SideSteal is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yea its a YMCA i don't see one there. They have alot of machines. anyway i will try doing some DB stuff. they have tons of it there. how do you feel about doing a full body workout every 3 days. I made something up like this

Back-Lat pulldown
    Abs-Abd machine
    Chest-dumbell presses
    triceps-skullcrushers
    biceps-db curls
    legs-leg press
    legs-leg curls
    shoulders-shoulder raises with db's
    Full body split or upper/lower split 3xweek is fine, but not as you have it listed. Check the workout programs section of the forums and browse around for a while, and get on a written program.

Not having a squat rack isn't idea but don't let it stop you from doing as much as you can on a written program, substituting if you absolutely have to. DB bench in place of BB bench is fine IMO.

Congrats on the weight loss so far.
    Training log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160275721&pagenumber=

Starvation Mode GO! NitrogenWidget's Avatar
    NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) NitrogenWidget has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    cool i saw your pics nice work. did you use free weights? did you have to eat more when you started lifting?

thanks.
    Free Weights.
    I work out at home.
    All I got is a weight bench with leg attachment, olympic bar & DB's.

Pretty much the only exercise I can't do is squats.
    I keep my weights in a small side room so a squat rack is not an option right now.

Instead I do squats while holding 50lb DB's in each hand & pre-exhaust my legs then do heavy lunges. I still walk like frankenstein for a few days. LOL!

To be honest initially all I did was stop eating fast food & started grilling my own food.
    I was so fat just cutting that crap out while lifting heavy let me drop 20lbs fairly fast.
    I was ravenously hungry when I started lifting again but that subsided after a few weeks.

I didn't bother counting calories or stop drinking beer until I hit 230lbs.