Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    always moving forward blazeheavy's Avatar
    blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Bodybuilders with Arthritis?

Hi all! =)

I know I'm not over 35, but I have had arthritis for years. I wasn't really sure where to ask this question, but I'm hoping you folks might know!!!

Are there any notable bodybuilders that have been diagnosed with arthritis? Pro or not. Before or after getting to where they are. I'm just looking to see what a bodybuilder with arthritis is capable of.

Thanks in advance!
    Owner, Tank Top Spot
    http://www.tanktopspot.com

~Lifter With Arthritis~

kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kimsquit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm far from notable, but I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis when I was 21. Have a read through my bodyspace if you want to see what I've done despite it

bb.com forum member #44253

Nothing in this world worth having comes easy

Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Gem99 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by kimsquit View Post
    I'm far from notable, but I was diagnosed with degenerative arthritis when I was 21. Have a read through my bodyspace if you want to see what I've done despite it
    That's amazing! I was diagnosed with RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) last year and now it's generally well controlled apart from the occasional flare-up which can be quite nasty. Do you weight train when its aggravated or do you rest?
    PS, not a notable BB'er here, just someone getting back into the love of lifting weights again after a long hiatus....
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132079223

Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rocket is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have been training with Arthritis for over 25 years (I'm 53) and although I don't squat 600lbs like I did when I was 35 I feel I am in much better shape than most the men my age.Just remember You Make Life What You Want It To Be !
    "Chicks With Muscle Rule"

TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheIronMaster is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have it in my knees i don't let it stop me. I warm up good and then hammer away.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I'm not at all notable (don't know of any Pro or even NPC-level bodybuilders who have Arthritis), but RA is what originally got me into weight training, and then into bodybuilding. I was a 130 pound twig with all kinds of health issues.

I have shoulder problems, and more recently, wrist and hand issues, but I still do what I'm able, and will continue to do so.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm a walking bone spur with at least three surgeries (two elbows and a shoulder) in my future but I keep on keeping on. An unused joint with arthritis is worse than using them. I was told I would have my first knee replacement at 40 and that couldn't have further from the truth.
    Last edited by JRT6; 03-06-2011 at 06:16 PM.

always moving forward blazeheavy's Avatar
    blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This feedback is amazing!!!

You are all an inspiration to me!

I almost took the "notable" part out of the original post...haha.

I don't have RA. I actually have psoriatic arthritis, which is similar in what it does to your body.

So far, the worst problem I've had is my knees bother me a lot if I try to do squats. I've been doing some leg presses and was thinking about doing extremely light weight squats to try to strengthen my knees. I want to be able to develop my lower body as well as my upper body.

We'll see how that goes.

Do any of you have any kind of advice for a beginner with arthritis? Anything in general would be awesome.
    Owner, Tank Top Spot
    http://www.tanktopspot.com

~Lifter With Arthritis~

exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250) exzile has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    To mimic the above, I'm also far from notable.

I have something wrong with my joints which as far as I can tell is just a disposition I was born with that affects most of my major joints.

Thus far I've had both knees reconstructed from ACL tears + meniscus tears. Right knee has had two surgeries, the left one....so far. I was told at 30 I would need at least one knee replaced by the time I was 35....I'm 36 and feel like I have at least a few or more years left in them.

Both elbows have radial head dislocations. Two surgeries in right elbow, one in left.

Left ankle another surgery.

My knees, elbows and ankle have pretty severe arthritis already and while lifting does not make them feel great, I do get a lot of joint grinding and a constant ache all day..the alternative is something that fears me worse in losing more and more of my already bad ROM.

Back in the day most with arthritis felt it was a game breaker and just gave up on activity thinking that would make the joint last longer and keep pain away. Those same people are the ones that can barely move as they age due to the arthritis sapping strength as well as major ROM loss.

The Dr. that has worked on my elbows has told me straight out he does not want me to stop being active, he knows that it may be harder to stay active the end game will be better for me as well as living a better quality of life now by staying active instead of laying up.
    [300 Spartan Crew][Helot Trial Member][8/9/2012]

Deviant art: http://moestitia.deviantart.com/

debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) debandmikeb is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have arthritis (or as they say in Boston..artha-ridis) in my wrists, ankles and the one knee that I have from birth. My other knee is only four years old. My Dr. says it's just a process of aging for me, so I just deal with it as best I can. I get away with a mild pain med and some low level discomfort but I go to the gym and do what I can. I work on weight training and range of motion.

Maybe if I had started when I was much younger, I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in now but I didn't and since I can't go back, I go forward.

So, it boils down to... do what you can, as best you can for as long as you can and if it hurts, don't do it.

Mike

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by debandmikeb View Post
    I have arthritis (or as they say in Boston..artha-ridis) in my wrists, ankles and the one knee that I have from birth. My other knee is only four years old. My Dr. says it's just a process of aging for me, so I just deal with it as best I can. I get away with a mild pain med and some low level discomfort but I go to the gym and do what I can. I work on weight training and range of motion.

Maybe if I had started when I was much younger, I wouldn't be in the shape I'm in now but I didn't and since I can't go back, I go forward.

So, it boils down to... do what you can, as best you can for as long as you can and if it hurts, don't do it.

Mike
    Great comment. I have also been recently diagnosed with degenerative arthritis of the shoulder. I just had to back up, figure out what I could do, couldn't do, and move forward as best as possible & keep up the fight. When they have to replace the shoulder, then I'll do the same thing.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by blazeheavy View Post
    Do any of you have any kind of advice for a beginner with arthritis?
    Simply this; do what you are able, and never quit.

And remember that no matter what your problem might be, there is someone, somewhere, who has it rougher than you.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) NYkarate is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Rheumatoid and Osteo are two different types of arthritis. The former is an auto-immune problem and the latter is more a structural wear and tear one. Weight training will be beneficial for either one. In fact, I believe that weight training and focus on diet is probably the single best thing you could do for either form it.

jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimraat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have osteo in my hands, more specifically my fingers due to numerous breaks and dislocations playing both Rugby and Cricket. Limits what I can lift on bad days because I can't grip the bar. Gloves don't work as they seem to aggravate it. I haven't tried straps, but, so far, the good days are more frequent than the bad

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I suffer from gout. What I have found is that I have to be very careful with what I eat and any supplements that I take. What I would recommend is to keep a diary of all of the food you eat and supplements you take, and compare them to how you feel physically and how they may or may not affect your workouts. After doing this for a little while, you will see which foods or supps may trigger attacks, and which, as well, keep you feeling well and keep your workouts going strong. I would then focus on the good foods.

Good luck and work hard.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000) Dsum74 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by blazeheavy View Post
    This feedback is amazing!!!

You are all an inspiration to me!

I almost took the "notable" part out of the original post...haha.

I don't have RA. I actually have psoriatic arthritis, which is similar in what it does to your body.

So far, the worst problem I've had is my knees bother me a lot if I try to do squats. I've been doing some leg presses and was thinking about doing extremely light weight squats to try to strengthen my knees. I want to be able to develop my lower body as well as my upper body.

We'll see how that goes.

Do any of you have any kind of advice for a beginner with arthritis? Anything in general would be awesome.
    I have been diagnosed with the same type of arthritis in both my knee's I also compete. On the days I have the really painful flare up normally when it's really cold out side . I put ice hot on my knees and hit the sauna for 15 min simulating squatting and I also stretch .. I start out light on the squat for 20 to 25 reps until my knee's are fully warmed up then I go heavy or you can warm up with the leg press staying in the 20 to 30 rep range..

Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kmu will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got Ankilosing Spondilytis Arthritis, 33 years old, been suffering from it since I was 16 and got it diagnosed when I was 21... Did some weight training from 16 to 19 years old but had to stop because of the pain...

Well last year I decided to improve my life quality and hit the gym at least 4 times per week, started at 190 lbs with around 25% and now Im 160 with 8% BF.

Im taking Enbrel every 10 days and the workouts at the gym help me a lot on my stiffness. I do 10 min cardio (only eliptical) each day to loosen up the spine. I haven't run in several years since I have all my discs on my spine dried up and it hurts me.

I do almost every exercise except Squats (cant put pressure on my spine), Deadlifts, and horizontal bench press (cant lay my back flat on a horizontal bench)

I used to have several flare ups a year, where I couldn't leave home or move for several days and cortisone injections where needed, now since I started taking Enbrel and doing moderate weightlifting I haven't had any flares.

lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lordxar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Got psoriasis and the associted psoriatic arthritis...winter is a bear but after a year on meds it's not too bad now. Just have to do what you can when you can.

nacho503 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HI I saw this topic and im just amazed to know that im not the only one , I have a weird type of psoryasis mixed with sjrogen's syndrome, since I was 18 when this
    started, i have been through alot, but now at my 22's im lifting weights and increasing my level at a good rythm,so if there's something I can do to help someone in a case similar to mine, I would be very pleased to.

dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dungeonmistress has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    almost 55. I had knee surgery about 5 months ago. I'm lifting more for more reps now than I did prior to surgery and recently got back in the rack for heavy rack pulls. Part of it is the mentality of it - to not let it get me down, to adopt a "if I can't go thru it I'll go around it" mentality to make my gains and ensure I'm working my quads, hams and glutes as hard or harder than I did when I didn't have the knee issue. You also have to know when to say when. Sometimes cardio makes my knee swell (which is ok because I hate cardio and would rather save my knee for lifting if you feel me lol). but sometimes working quads does too. I found out that the foot placement before surgery is not as good for me now which is GREAT because I was forced to take a very narrow stance before. I continue to take naproxen twice a day and ice my knee any time I apply stress such as with direct legs training or cardio. Walking is not a problem. actually exercise is very good for arthritic joints and developing good muscles to support the joints is what's saved me so says my ortho. my legs work by the musculature supporting the joints not the other way around, so I am not walking on my knee if that makes sense, the muscles are offloading the joint.
    A successful woman is one who can build a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at her

my metabolic repair/bulking-training journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=134394501

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Pretty amazing stories.
    Note to self: Never ever ever piss & moan again. Never.

Every Dr I've been to tells me I will have arthritis. I broke some bones racing motocross and still don't have it in my early 50's.
    I've been eating natural whole food for decades - maybe that has kept arthritis away. I eat salmon, chicken breast and ground turkey for burgers and in red sauce.

I hurt my low back stacking too much weight too soon - seated military press - then bad form. Stupid.
    Taken 4 weeks to heal but much better now. But my elbow has taken over a year and I suspect arthritis after what the Dr's told me. I'm using the Sock-Doc's suggestions and it helps, even the elbow is much better.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

musclemaker173 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Inspired

I'm only 16 and have psoriatic arthritis I recently discovered that it makes my back feel 100% better to workout so with some begging and pleading with my mom and showing her these post she has allowed me to get a gym membership.......... TIME TO GET RIPPED

vmangelr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all:
    I'm 47 and recently diagnosed with Osteo Arthritis, went to an orthopedist with specialty in sport injuries, he told to continue training with as much weight as I feel comfortable and avoid exercises that produce any discomfort. Also recommended stick to the machines to isolate the muscle work and consider increase repetitions over increase weight when exercise problem areas. Summary, keep training with some reserve will be beneficial. Just my two cents bro....
    Victor

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I definitely have what is called arthritic changes in my one shoulder, was told I would have it in my knees due to the amount of surgery I've had. Fortunately it doesn't really run in the family until we get real old.

Ice and naproxen help, I had a prescription one for a while that really made a difference. Sitting around and doing nothing is the worst thing anyone can do... things that keep moving don't tend to seize up.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I had been diagnosed with the onset of arthritis years ago. However, I don't have any more issues. In fact I feel better now than I did in my 20s.

Autoimmune responses from certain food allergies could be a cause of arthritis. I'm not sure if it's coincidence but I cut out gluten, as well as soy and corn, from my diet after finding there was sensitivity in my family. I haven't had the joint pain, hives or skin problems that I used to have.
    Last edited by michail71; 01-10-2013 at 12:45 PM.

MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MoldyGopher is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Osteo here.

I tried being fat and lazy but that didn't cure it, just fyi.
    330->210. Drop me a PM if you're just getting started and want some advice.
    Do what you love and you'll never workout a day in your life.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by michail71 View Post
    ... Autoimmune responses from certain food allergies could be a cause of arthritis. I'm not sure if it's coincidence but I cut out gluten, as well as soy and corn, from my diet after finding there was sensitivity in my family. I haven't had the joint pain, hives or skin problems that I used to have.
    Arthritis runs in my wife's side of the family, they are prone to gout, shingles, nail problems, (shingles + nails, should have been roofers?) etc.

My SIL went to a nutritionist when she started with the swollen finger joints at age 50. She cut out a lot of things and did get better for a while, just started going again at age 60, so there is some merit to the diet link.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

wds2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not a notable body builder but I have RA as well. I can live with the pain but if I'm lifting very heavy my lower back and hips kill me and keep me up at night. There have been times when I could barely walk.

So I've had to learn to lift smarter and adjust my workouts: lower weights, higher reps seem to keep the pain away or at least to a minimum.
    I also take fish oil supplements and glucosomine chondroitin, and if I'm in pain I'll pop a naproxen sodium (the generic version of Aleve). Every so often I'll go to the chiropractor as well. The last year and a half have been relatively pain free since I've started all that so I must be doing something right.

michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) michail71 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    Arthritis runs in my wife's side of the family, they are prone to gout, shingles, nail problems, (shingles + nails, should have been roofers?) etc.

My SIL went to a nutritionist when she started with the swollen finger joints at age 50. She cut out a lot of things and did get better for a while, just started going again at age 60, so there is some merit to the diet link.

Rob
    Could she be getting exposed to the allergen again? Sometimes they can sneak in though medications and cosmetics/skin care products. It doesn't take much.

cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Arrow

Bber with arthritis, here I am.

25 years old, psoriatic arthritis diagnosed when I was 19, I started working out 2 years ago, fine. Last week a rebound left elbow and knee and elbow inflammation, I took 15 mg deltacortene and feeled very good, but as soon as I stopped I woke up with those damned aches again. Gotta continue with cortisone for one month, minimum...