Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10) mkoopal is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile

Originally Posted by blazeheavy View Post
    Hi all! =)

I know I'm not over 35, but I have had arthritis for years. I wasn't really sure where to ask this question, but I'm hoping you folks might know!!!

Are there any notable bodybuilders that have been diagnosed with arthritis? Pro or not. Before or after getting to where they are. I'm just looking to see what a bodybuilder with arthritis is capable of.

Thanks in advance!
    I'm not notable or pro, but I am a former college student-athlete if that counts for anything. I was diagnosed with RA about 17 years ago when I was 3 1/2, it was JRA until last year and I have it systemically and it has caused a lot of damage. My knees are permanently flared, my hips are uneven, and my fingers will never look normal again. I can no longer straighten my elbows and have lost range of motion in my hips, ankles, wrists, knees, and elbows. I've been on a number of biologics, with not much to show for it other than progressive joint damage. My rheum has put me on chemo, steroids, and medications typically meant for adults since I was 13 yrs old. Currently I am on orencia and arava, with my orencia dosing for adults over 120 lbs. I have never weighed more than 118 lbs in my life.

That hasn't stopped me from much!! When I am not flaring, I lift 5-6 days a week and throw that in with cardio. I boast a 5:50 mile time, but try to avoid running due to the damage in my knees from the RA along with years and years of soccer and track. The days I am flaring I try to go very light and do more reps. My rheum advised me to not lift at all during flares, but if I must go very light. With all of the inflammation in the joints, the joint can easily move (how deformation is caused with RA patients) and you are putting yourself at risk when you lift at this time. That said, I still do because I feel worse when I don't. But I mean VERY light... about a 1/4 of what I typically lift.

Aside from that, as long as my fingers aren't causing problems (can't make a fist when that happens) I have had to modify some of my workouts. I can still squat 200 lbs+ but I am not able to go as deep as I once was. I aim for 90 degrees now and if I am feeling good I will go ass to grass, but with not more than 135 lbs. Lunges are almost out of the question for me because one hips pop out every time I try (thanks to my uneven hips -__-) but I have substituted those with other work outs.

In short, listen to your body, but just because you feel good doesn't mean you are superman. You will wear out your body much quicker with RA and the days you have flares, just stick to the elliptical or bike with some extremely light reps if you feel up to it. Don't overdo it, but never give up.

Hope that helps!

PS - If you can find any weight training gloves for people with RA, that would be the best! I dunno if they've been invented yet but they need to be! Something where grip isn't necessary

-Michelle

Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000)
    You have to find a way to push past it. That is about motivation and one needs to realise that any arthritic or gouty condition is worse if you don't move it. You have to work up so slowly, in reps and weight, but always increasing that little extra bit.

I am 78 and I have inherited a gouty arthritic condition called Hebberden's nodules. Uric acid in colloidal form accumulates around the finger and toe joints. I just had my ninth round of surgery to remove this **** and it hurts.

My mother and all her sisters had this condition but were never given the surgery option. Although they all lived well into their nineties, by then their joints were grossly deformed. So far I have avoided the worst excesses of this condition.

I will be back in the gym as soon as I cam hold on to the weights and will build up gradually, I will try to eat only the things that don't provoke this condition but it is hard to discern what doesn't.

My message is - don't give up. Never give up.

Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000) Georgeoz is just really nice. (+1000)
    And I object to some electronic Wowser check being put on perfectly good English words.

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    RA is a real a m*therf*cker.

always moving forward blazeheavy's Avatar
    blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10) blazeheavy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by musclemaker173 View Post
    I'm only 16 and have psoriatic arthritis I recently discovered that it makes my back feel 100% better to workout so with some begging and pleading with my mom and showing her these post she has allowed me to get a gym membership.......... TIME TO GET RIPPED
    Wow...it's been a while since I checked in on this thread. That's a great story!

Thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. You are all an inspiration to me. In the past year most of my arthritis trouble has come from the meds I'm on. Right now I am using enbrel, which wrecks your immune system, and I can end up sick with a cold for a month at a time. I'm still fighting against this disease and making progress in the gym - albeit very slowly like some of the others in this thread have mentioned. Depression is the other hard fight. A lot of people with a chronic illness or chronic pain suffer from depression as well. Just know there is a lot of help for this out there. Please speak to your doctor immediately if you suspect you might be suffering from depression.

I don't hold out hope for a cure. I just live my life and do everything I'm able to do to push forward day after day.

If anyone else would like to share experiences, helpful tips or success stories please do.
    Owner, Tank Top Spot
    http://www.tanktopspot.com

~Lifter With Arthritis~

nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Competitive sports did a lot of damage to my joints. I've been drinking Aloe Vera for over 30 years and my knees are better today than in my 20's. Take a look.
    -----------
    On March 17, 2011, in Medicinal Uses, by EJerome

Arthritis is a crippling disease. It will restrict activities like walking and even standing. It attacks joints in the body and can cause extreme pain. Arthritis is also a chronic disease; once a person develops it they will have it for life. The only way to deal with arthritis is to learn how to manage the pain.

Many people suffer the effects of arthritis; statistics show that in adults over 40, one in three will have arthritis as they get older. It can develop in infants, but most people show signs of arthritis in their fifties. More than 50 percent of people who have arthritis develop it before they turn age 65. It is estimated that people with arthritis will spend close to $150,000 in medical expenses and lost wages.
    Types of Arthritis

Most people who have arthritis have either Osteoarthritis or Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Osteoarthritis is caused by wear and tear of the weight-bearing joints. The knees, hips, and ankles are usually affected. It can also settle in the shoulders and other mobile joints in the regions of the spine, such as the lumbar or cervical regions. The synovial fluid in the joints shrinks with age and wear and tear of the joints. It eventually will cause the bones to grind against each other. It is this grinding that causes pain and movement difficulties.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis is actually caused by antibodies attacking the synovial lining of joints. The antibodies are produced by the immune system but genetics, infections, or environmental factors can upset the immune system. What results are swelling, stiffness, and pain in the joints. Rheumatoid Arthritis is a immunologically induced arthritis that can start at any age
    Both of these forms of arthritis will cause the joints to stiffen because of the drying of the liquid in the joints. But this drying is not what causes pain. The pain in the joints is caused by inflammation around the joints. The inflammation is what causes the muscles to swell and ache.

Aloe Vera and Arthritis Pain

Arthritis is a chronic condition. Nothing is going to cure the arthritis in the body’s joints. But it can be controlled and managed so that the condition does not result in debilitation. Aloe Vera is a natural product that is an anti-inflammatory. It is also an anti-bacterial and anti-viral product that will help fight any secondary infections. What will result when using aloe vera is a reduction in the pain and immobility from arthritis.

Reduce Inflammation with Aloe Vera

Joints in the body become swollen with arthritis, especially in damp and cold weather. According to Natural Living Products, the swollen joints respond well to the ingestion of aloe vera juice. This is because the juice contains bradykinin, salicylate, and other natural steroids that reduce inflammation. Aloe vera juice also is full of vitamins A, B, C, and E. These vitamins are anti-inflammatory as well as strong anti-oxidants. The juice absorbs the toxins in the body that are produced with the joints are inflamed, and decreases the level of swelling that is caused by arthritis.

Relieve Soreness with Aloe Vera

A person with arthritis often complains of stiffness and soreness in the joints. Aloe vera juice will relieve pressure from the inflamed joint, thereby reducing pain and soreness. Being able to move freely, exercise, and not feel stiff when getting up, walking, or standing will keep the body flexible and strong. Aloe vera can eliminate the inflammation and pressure around the joints, making movement easier.

Repair Joints with Aloe Vera

Aloe vera contains glucosamine which is a natural compound found in cartilage. Glucosamine is a known treatment for arthritis pain and stiffness. Aloe vera juice also has minerals that will promote enzyme reactions in the joints, allowing them to heal faster. No more joint immobility or deformation with aloe vera.

How to Take Aloe Vera

Aloe vera comes in many forms. It is a member of the Lily family, in that it is a succulent, perennial plant that resembles a cactus. It thrives in warm, arid regions and does not do well in cold. The aloe vera plant has thick, spiny leaves that grow above ground level, usually in a rosette pattern. Each plant can have 12 or more leaves when mature. While there are over 250 species of Aloe, only five of them have nutritional and medicinal value. Most people know the Aloe Barbadensis Miller species of aloe vera. There are several ways to use the aloe vera plant to help ease the difficulties of arthritis.

The gel of the aloe vera plant can be applied directly on the swollen and painful joints. The gel will provide relief of joint immobility and pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It has been well documented that rubbing the affected joints with aloe vera gel results in the reduction of swelling and pain.
    Aloe vera capsules can be taken with water two to three times a day. This will help with the joint swelling and pain from the inside.
    Aloe vera juice will coat the stomach. Taking large quantities of NSAIDs over time for the pain associated with arthritis can cause gastrointestinal problems. If the aloe vera juice is taken regularly, these side effects are eliminated. The body is also ingesting anti-inflammatory agents as well.
    Aloe Vera and Arthritis

There have been many scientific studies about aloe vera and its use for easing arthritis pain. A study that was published in the Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association in 1994 reported that aloe vera reduced the inflammation in joints that were affected by arthritis. It also supports the autoimmune reaction when the body attacked its own tissue as happens with rheumatoid arthritis. One study reported reduced inflammation by 79.7 percent, and another reported reduced swelling by 67.3 percent. Drink high quality aloe very gel 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch, and right before going to bed. Start with a small amount and gradually increase to up to 2 tablespoons three times a day.

It is often asked how long it will take before relief is felt. That depends on how long the arthritis has been present in the joints. The bottom line is that it will help, but as with any natural, herbal product it will take time for the full benefit to be realized.

www dot aloeplant dot info/arthritis-getting-you-down-can-aloe-really-help/
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    --Mickey Mantle

Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50) Coogle will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    We're do you gel aloe juice from?

tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tacdgb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have Psoriatic arthritis too. My left knee bothers me so I am not going to let that stop my training. I am just careful how I train with it. I do squats but only do 50 lbs. I also watch how much cardio I do. I also make sure to soak in a hot bath and that helps.

cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cagliostro has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by cagliostro View Post
    Bber with arthritis, here I am.

25 years old, psoriatic arthritis diagnosed when I was 19, I started working out 2 years ago, fine. Last week a rebound left elbow and knee and elbow inflammation, I took 15 mg deltacortene and feeled very good, but as soon as I stopped I woke up with those damned aches again. Gotta continue with cortisone for one month, minimum...
    I stopped deltacortene last week after 6 months @ 5 mg/die and took two weeks off at the gym. First three days without cortisone my left elbows was aching, now feeling great!

nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nowhere1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Coogle View Post
    We're do you gel aloe juice from?
    I currently get Aloe from Trader Joe's in the juice section for about $9/gal. It should be available from any health food store and many markets. There are a few small bottle more flavorful aloe drinks now on the market. Walmart, Puritans Pride and many online sites sell Aloe.

www dot walmart.com/ip/Aloe-Vera-W-99.8-Aloe-Juice-1-gal/10314798
    If I knew I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
    --Mickey Mantle

jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jba1 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Ditto

[QUOTE=ironwill2008;640778843]Simply this; do what you are able, and never quit.

Good advice from Ironwill...

I take the advice of a well grounded sport's doctor in my area....As far as my arthritic conditions that exist in my wrists and elbows...."If you can take the pain...do it!" .....He also suggested braces to help....
    I have followed his advice and I have found that my body has actually adapted to some of the problems.
    Bottom line....working out consistently even with the pain has improved my condition.
    Good luck...

masaahven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Joining the conversation..

Hello everybody,

I´m joining the conversation, not happily but because I have the disease too.. arthritis in knee. This is kind of new to me, I just had a diagnose a week ago. And now looking for information. So I`m not a pro too or at the stage yet but bb is very important for me, more than a hobby.. a way to life your life. I`m not alone, am I.. heh..

In my case I can`t be sure where the disease came from. I have been training more than twenty years now. Mostly lifting weights but triathlon and combat sports too. And my working "career" haven`t been sitting behind the dest type of thing.

My knees have had some hits over the years and I had trained "trough the pain", I wish I hadn`t. But wisdom and youth don`t usually play together. So I have squatted neverminding the knee pain. So now the thing is that I can`t squat at all. The pain comes from standing of the couch. Now looking for exercises that doesn`t hurt the knee at all. And walking isn`t the case, atleast now, maybe layter.. My oppinion is that you should do everything you can to exercise the muscles in legs but not if you have pain doing that.

So what about medicine and nutrition. I`m taking Cartexan 400 mg twice a day and natural products MSM, Ginger, Glukosame too. Of course multivitamins and natural supplement including BCAA and Glutamine etc.

I`m thankful of these kind of thread, I couldn`t find it anywhere else. Strenght and honour to everyone suffering this evil disease. And remember, most of us still are able to live our live all most normally and still train other bodyparts. That is something to smile about

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Man if hurts just to stand you might need to start with physical therapy and get things in your knees calmed down.

FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50) FALer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subbed. Gonna look into the aloe vera.

jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50) jaeburd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've had arthritis since I was 16 and discovered that activity, not inactivity, was the best medicine for my hands and hips.
    Marine Corps Vet

masaahven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep, I know. Haven`t trained the legs for several weeks and it`s killing me.. Meaning squats and legpresses, hack squat too. But I can still do legextensions and hamstrings without problems. That`s something to cheer about..

What about your training, can you train legs or where did you have problems, normally without pain?

For the orginal question, I don`t think any pro will tell public that they have arthritis. In the next competition judges would straight look the damaged area.. Is it maybe weaker or thinner than the other limb etc. But I`m sure that there are pros and bodybuiders in stage with the disease.

samdamovieman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi all! =)

I know I'm not over 35, but I have had arthritis for years. I wasn't really sure where to ask this question, but I'm hoping you folks might know!!!

Are there any notable bodybuilders that have been diagnosed with arthritis? Pro or not. Before or after getting to where they are. I'm just looking to see what a bodybuilder with arthritis is capable of.

Thanks in advance!
    Glad to find this thread here, since I was steered to this by Google. I'm no stranger to Bodybuilding.com - used it quite a bit back when I was lifting seriously and consistently. Unfortunately, I am no stranger to arthritis, either.

Back in 2010, I was well aware of my mild-to-moderate arthritis issues, especially where my knees were concerned. I was overweight, not at all healthy and determined to do something about it. So, I was in the position at the time to go 'full tilt boogie' on my issues and I did just that. Got involved with an online weight loss program, had two gym memberships (one had a pool and the other didn't), and I got to work. I started at 369, and within nine months of a grueling workout regimen (that often called for ninety-minute cardio sessions), I shaved myself down to a relatively skinny 264.

But the bottom fell out in the following year.

My osteoarthritis issues increased and flare-ups became severe and common. Since that time, I have now developed moderate to severe OA in every joint: knees are bone-on-bone, hips are pretty bad, shoulders, too (the ROM in my left arm and shoulder is almost non-existent). It's also in my neck, and I recently learned, in the big toes on both feet. If all of this action weren't enough, bone spurs are now growing along the vertibrae in my lumbar region, exerting pressure on the nerves running along my right hip and making walking without a cane nearly impossible.

I am now in rehab, doing some water work that helps a little. I even have a gym membership now, and was going to some water aerobics classes appropriate for my fitness level, before things got really bad with my hip/back problems. My current weight is 344, and several doctors have said that knee replacement surgery is imminent, but they wouldn't feel comfortable without my trying to expedite a serious amount of weight loss...meaning down to under 200 lbs., which I think is effing INSANE. I know that only consistent diet and exercise, as before, would EVER make that kind of reduction possible. But I also realize that I don't have the level of capability, movement and manageable pain levels I was dealing with five years ago.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone here has, especially if you are dealing with similar circumstances.

Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rickck48 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I have a lower back chronic pain from injuries from jumping while I was in Service. I am 60 but I still lift and I make sure of form first. Weight is not a big thing but my reps and stretching is something I make sure of in my training. I will probably never see a stage but if I can keep my stomach from reaching my destination before the rest of me does then I am getting it right. Best of to ya and keep us up on your travels. RTR!
    I am always one lift, from Perfection.
    1/75th Army Rangers
    God Protect this Country
    TO BE ONE ASK ONE

liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) liquidmonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    broke and dislocated my left hip mountain biking when i was 25. I'm 40 this year and the arthritis in my hip ball is getting worse now. docs said i would need a new hip when 30, so am doing something right
    takes me 30 minutes each morning before i can walk properly.
    still do squats and deads though.
    lots of rehab and lots of stretching.
    i think its time for a new hip soon though as the pain is getting worse.

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hi all! =)

Thanks in advance!
    My knees look like the grand canyon with fissures and cracks and bone spurs...

but I am a lower middle 400 plus lb deep squatter, deadlift alittle over 500 and am working on a 405 bench (385 at the moment)....never been a powerlifter but enjoy mass building workouts for bodybuilders....

warmup, then 3-8 reps for my sets works well for me. some days its hard to get out of bed or off the chair....

got to live.

lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) lensperson has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by masaahven View Post
    ...arthritis in knee... ...So what about medicine...
    Sadly there isn't any magic bullet... However if the pain is acute your doctor may consider a cortisone injection (short term only) Current wisdom is cortisone causes more damage than than previously believed... synthetic corticosteroids i.e. hormones are known to soften cartilage and the tendons weaken in the joint that is being treated, which can be permanent. Typically three injections are max... but none might be wiser...

What works? I got lucky and had a tenured physical therapist turn me on to ice, yes good old ice... he recommended filling those red hot water bottles up with a 50% mix of water and alcohol and placing them in the freezer... just pull them out and ice the knee for 20 minutes max... any longer risks frostbite... It works like magic! So you don't believe this? Then Google Sandy Koufax icing his arm after every game... His trainers where able to extend his career by a half decade.... Fact not BS!

Ice is what works for my knee... I'm a runner who trashed it over a long career of racing... Now it is a joy to be able to walk... Oh, if it is not responding to ice you seriously need to rest the joint... Again that works for me... Save your money and don't through it away on anecdotal cures...

And yes I listen to the medical community... but they have a hidden agenda... and are in some cases in the pocket of pharmaceutical vendors... beware of all prescribed medication, read the data sheets carefully and know the risks....

My very best wises on your journey here...

coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) coachcalande is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I thought of this thread when watching some youtube video yesterday. Saw some video of Ronnie coleman doing some VERY HEAVY back exercises in his 50s.....AFTER TWO HIP REPLACEMENTS?

"LIGHT WEIGHT BABY"

Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Looton has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Mkoolpal has the experience. Mine may not apply but thought I'd chip-in...

It took me years to figure it out. The Dr rule out RA and thought it was osteo arthritis. I did eleimination diets and anti-inflammatory diets and eleiminated nightshades. The latter helped a bit. I now take collagen - there are 3 types - and I limit certain lifts like heavy hammer curls and heavy pulls. High volume, low weight, high reps - really great pump and hypertrophy still going strong. The change gave me a bump actually!

This website cleared so much up for me; http://tendinosis.org/injury.shtml

Here's some tips that resolved my pain of years that nobody could figure, including many doctors;

RBF training - restricted blood flow training
    AKA: occluded training
    AKA: Kaatsu
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23247712

I tried this after reading studies on pubmed.org etc. and Dr. Layne Norton later posted about it- see YouTube and this site.
    I got a good pump, seemed to exercise the biceps well. Elbows seemed to feel BETTER afterward and they usually feel worse after arms days.

I put on an ace bandage at first, or golfers elbow wrap, at what I gauged to be 70% tightness - not extremely tight where I would pinch something off.
    Use 30-50% of the normal weight when I normally did 8-12 rep sets, but I did the following;
    set 1, 30 reps
    sets 2-4, 15 reps
    I rested 30 seconds between sets.

The work outs and blood flow to the elbow area may actually get the collagen to budge... which helps the healing of the ligaments' and tendons' collagen matrix.

I do another exercise where I do high reps low weight on the biceps first - then the same on the triceps - then back and forth sets. You must go to failure and have slow perfect form with light weight. You will pump so damn much blood into that area you think you're gonna pop.

The result of each method; not more pain as was the case, but LESS pain.

I tried all the supplements under the sun, of course. Some may have helped - I would recommend; MSM, Hyaluronic acid, Collagen 1&3.

*** Eliminate nightshades, dairy, wheat****
    http://paleoleap.com/nightshades/

It all probably helped get rid of a sore as hell elbow that flared up for years. It has been gone for a long time but I now stop when I feel anything, usually when I go heavy again.

I also deep-massaged my trigger points and stretched out. Youtube golfers elbow or tennis elbow massage.

I stopped using NSAIDs or Cortisone. F-dat. Also, ice didn’t help.
    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.
    -Twain

btlinberg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btlinberg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) btlinberg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, I can relate to you guys. I was into heavy lifting, some martial arts and overall strength training for all of my 20's. Then suddenly my knees flared up and I wasn't able to lift as much. Rheumatologists diagnosed me with all sorts of things.. Seronegative Ankylosing Spondylitis, Rheumatoid Arthritis (even though I didn't test postiive), Chronic Lyme disease... Lost about 50lbs and had a lot of atrophy in my legs and other muscles after it happened when I was 31.

I've been working to get stronger ever since. The things that helped me the most were dietary changes (cutting out refined foods and sugars) and to keep moving. Every time I've slacked on doing some sort of exercise, the stiffness and swelling gets worse. It's a tough thing to get through. Most of the meds made me worse and even long-term Prednisone wore off after a year so I went off all meds and focused more on nutrition and whatever exercise I could do. It's encouraging to hear all these stories. Aqua therapy and physical therapy helped quite a bit too. Pretty strange to do running or lifting under water, but you're body will thank you for it!

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have osteo arthritis in my feet and shoulders. It has massively improved from heavy lifting in fact it starts to play up if I take a break. With my shoulders I have to tailor my routine to what feels comfortable and don't cause the grinding but other than that it doesn't affect my training
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

dmjohns has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you are never going to win the battle with gravity. I just got a Posture shirt from alignmed it is amazing. my physical therapist recommended it to me, its helps me stand up straight. For me a lot of my pain was in my shoulders, this shirt keep my shoulders in the proper position taking the stress of my neck and upper back. I went to Alignmed.com and used this promo code to save 10% dopel . check it out it worked for me!

Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jbizzlechizzle is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Non notable bodybuilder crew checking in... I have arthritis in my left knee from a meniscus repair when I was a teen. I also have lower back issues, but that doesn't stop me from squatting heavy. If anything, I've felt much better after putting squats back into my regular exercise routine twice a week. I've experienced less swelling and overall soreness. Good luck op, don't let anything hold you back.
    My vids: youtube.com/channel/UCXYsnKrrmhI9oPzfzkn8NsA
    Strong e-stat crew checking in

azombie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jimraat View Post
    I have osteo in my hands, more specifically my fingers due to numerous breaks and dislocations playing both Rugby and Cricket. Limits what I can lift on bad days because I can't grip the bar. Gloves don't work as they seem to aggravate it. I haven't tried straps, but, so far, the good days are more frequent than the bad
    I also have very bad arthritis in my hands and wrists and quite a few other joints. it is so bad i can not make fists with my hands and some of my knuckles are dislocated so i cannot do any pulling exercises without my wrist hooks. i am only 18 but i had arthritis when i was 15. I've also broken and dislocated many fingers in basket ball and now they always are SUPER stiff. my specialist told me i shouldn't be lifting weights with my hands but i am not going to stop untill i gain a bunch of weight. i think you can lift no matter how bad your arthritis but its just about how much pain you can ignore.

Registered User jimmyjackhammer's Avatar
    jimmyjackhammer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Red face

Originally Posted by mkoopal View Post
    I'm not notable or pro, but I am a former college student-athlete if that counts for anything. I was diagnosed with RA about 17 years ago when I was 3 1/2, it was JRA until last year and I have it systemically and it has caused a lot of damage. My knees are permanently flared, my hips are uneven, and my fingers will never look normal again. I can no longer straighten my elbows and have lost range of motion in my hips, ankles, wrists, knees, and elbows. I've been on a number of biologics, with not much to show for it other than progressive joint damage. My rheum has put me on chemo, steroids, and medications typically meant for adults since I was 13 yrs old. Currently I am on orencia and arava, with my orencia dosing for adults over 120 lbs. I have never weighed more than 118 lbs in my life.

That hasn't stopped me from much!! When I am not flaring, I lift 5-6 days a week and throw that in with cardio. I boast a 5:50 mile time, but try to avoid running due to the damage in my knees from the RA along with years and years of soccer and track. The days I am flaring I try to go very light and do more reps. My rheum advised me to not lift at all during flares, but if I must go very light. With all of the inflammation in the joints, the joint can easily move (how deformation is caused with RA patients) and you are putting yourself at risk when you lift at this time. That said, I still do because I feel worse when I don't. But I mean VERY light... about a 1/4 of what I typically lift.

Aside from that, as long as my fingers aren't causing problems (can't make a fist when that happens) I have had to modify some of my workouts. I can still squat 200 lbs+ but I am not able to go as deep as I once was. I aim for 90 degrees now and if I am feeling good I will go ass to grass, but with not more than 135 lbs. Lunges are almost out of the question for me because one hips pop out every time I try (thanks to my uneven hips -__-) but I have substituted those with other work outs.

In short, listen to your body, but just because you feel good doesn't mean you are superman. You will wear out your body much quicker with RA and the days you have flares, just stick to the elliptical or bike with some extremely light reps if you feel up to it. Don't overdo it, but never give up.

Hope that helps!

PS - If you can find any weight training gloves for people with RA, that would be the best! I dunno if they've been invented yet but they need to be! Something where grip isn't necessary

-Michelle
    Hi Michelle, that is so inspiring it turned on my heart light! so much so in fact I feel an 80s training montage coming on! I know they are not gloves but flexolate straps can remove the need for grip all together as long as you have access to plenty of cable machines in your gym, they sell them in the BB.COM store

(tried to post a link here but im not allowed because im a noob...)

Hope they help.

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Smile

I recently read an article on www.drmercola.com where he ran into a lady whom he had cured of RA. I do not have RA but read the entry and wondered why dr's do not do his procedure. The VA says I do not have RA, so I am safe from it.
    Do what's right.