Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    revan132 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revan132 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

ZMA + Casein before Bedtime a good idea?

Hey guys,
    As the title says, I have started taking ZMA and Casein right before bed to optimize my workouts, but I read somewhere that it isn't okay to take ZMA with any kind of food. Keep in mind I am only ingesting around 120 calories, or 25g of protein from the Casein, and my last meal prior to this was 3 hours before. I can't not take the Casein, but I really want to get the sleep benefits of the ZMA, as well as the suggested hormonal/rebuilding capabilities it possesses. Any ideas?

Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by revan132 View Post
    Hey guys,
    As the title says, I have started taking ZMA and Casein right before bed to optimize my workouts, but I read somewhere that it isn't okay to take ZMA with any kind of food. Keep in mind I am only ingesting around 120 calories, or 25g of protein from the Casein, and my last meal prior to this was 3 hours before. I can't not take the Casein, but I really want to get the sleep benefits of the ZMA, as well as the suggested hormonal/rebuilding capabilities it possesses. Any ideas?
    I'd like to know if this is ok too, good question. I don't see why it would be a problem but I'm no expert.
    Train hard. No pain, no gain!

neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Really?

Go buy Melatonin. Take your zma at 9:00, eat cottage cheese at 10 if you'd rather do that. It's a placebo effect at best, so if you wanna just take them at the same time, go for it.

powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Both are wastes of money
    Controlled Labs Warder
    Email: Powercage [at] ControlledLabs.com
    Free Controlled Labs supps for your CL labels: goo.gl/kylDte

I'm pretty sure your wrong, but care to elaborate...

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50) beedon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by powercage View Post
    Both are wastes of money
    I'm afraid so, ZMA hasn't been proven to work. And I'm one of the people who wasted my money getting casein and zma and got nothing but the runs in the morning.

Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000) Seroph4x is just really nice. (+1000)
    Both are wastes of money
    Casein night time protein doesnt work?
    Train hard. No pain, no gain!

powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) powercage has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Seroph4x View Post
    Casein night time protein doesnt work?
    Its just a waste of money, pick up some cottage cheese. Or dont even worry about getting something right before bed, as long as you hit your macros during the day you should be good to go.

You wont go catabolic overnight
    Controlled Labs Warder

Disclaimer: The above post is my personal opinion and does not represent the official position of any company or entity. It does not constitute medical advice.

Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stankiewicz is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sleep is always anabolic.. Dont listen to the magazines
    Casein is a waste of money. Zma is useless if u take a multi. Please dont waste good money on these worthless supps. I can promise u if u fasted for 15 hrs a day, ud still be anabolic, i do it and ive been feeling better than ever. Search alan aragon on these foruma or research the warrior diet . Good luck and hppy reading op)

RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    casein and ZMA would be a bad idea if you are trying to get the extra zinc from it as the calcium in casein works against the absorption of Zn. ZMA for me atleast gives me dreams and knocks me right out most of the times

Originally Posted by RawrReptar View Post
    casein and ZMA would be a bad idea if you are trying to get the extra zinc from it as the calcium in casein works against the absorption of Zn. ZMA for me atleast gives me dreams and knocks me right out most of the times
    ZMA gives me horrible nightmares
    Controlled Labs Warder

RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10) RawrReptar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ZMA gives me horrible nightmares
    I hear that from people all the time! I guess im just lucky i rarely have nightmares in general. But i can have some wacky dreams

Originally Posted by RawrReptar View Post
    I hear that from people all the time! I guess im just lucky i rarely have nightmares in general. But i can have some wacky dreams
    I think the majority of people it just gives vivid dreams.

Ive heard of a bunch of people including myself tho, all nightmares lol

its awful, and on top of it the stuff doesnt really benefit you in the way that it is supposed to
    Controlled Labs Warder

Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Boyer1994 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow everyone seems to not like ZMA but personally i like it. Helps me sleep and i feel stronger on it and better recovery. I drink the casein a hour or more before bed then literally right before i shut my eyes i take the ZMA that is what has worked for me. You dont need casein powder there is a ton of easy ways to get it but powder works the best for me because cottage cheese make me want to throw up.
    Why go hard or go home, when you can go hard then go home

neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) neddo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What other products do you know that contain casein, bar cottage cheese and milk brah? Curious.

And at 17, I can't imagine what benefits you're getting from the placebo. Other than the sugar [from the placebo].

MrZombie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrZombie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrZombie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Stankiewicz View Post
    Sleep is always anabolic.. Dont listen to the magazines
    Casein is a waste of money. Zma is useless if u take a multi. Please dont waste good money on these worthless supps. I can promise u if u fasted for 15 hrs a day, ud still be anabolic, i do it and ive been feeling better than ever. Search alan aragon on these foruma or research the warrior diet . Good luck and hppy reading op)
    I would also read the book eat, stop, eat

revan132 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) revan132 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did some research on ZMA and I found a lot of placebo vs. ZMA studies that prove its effectiveness, plus it's not like the stuff costs a lot of money, its like $15 dollars for a 2 month supply.
    And if I remember correctly, Casein and Cottage Cheese are essentially the same type of protein, I just cannot for the life of me stomach, taste, or smell cottage cheese without getting sick!

Thanks for all the responses guys! I guess I should take the Casein a little earlier then? Not sure still!

kazer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kazer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kazer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the responses guys! I guess I should take the Casein a little earlier then? Not sure still!

See this:

Its just a waste of money, pick up some cottage cheese. Or dont even worry about getting something right before bed, as long as you hit your macros during the day you should be good to go.

It doesn't matter when you take anything: just hit your macros for the day, with or without the casein.

fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50) fearbrandon will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey guys,
    i take them both.. a lot of people hate on zma and casein. casein is cheaper than buying all the cottege cheese i need everynite

just make sure u dont take them together. calcium makes the zinc or mag not get digested.

i take zma then wait 45-1 hour then casein. love it

NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000) NegativeX is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Calcium in Casein protein shakes prevents proper and full absorption of ZMA...

Either way, both are a waste of money if you are getting your nutritional needs met properly via whole foods.
    - /\^/\^Colorado Crew^/\^/\

- [LeanGains/IF Crew]

- \2049 Crew/

- Forever On Recharge Crew

Cras numsquam venit.

Originally Posted by fearbrandon View Post
    i take them both.. a lot of people hate on zma and casein. casein is cheaper than buying all the cottege cheese i need everynite

just make sure u dont take them together. calcium makes the zinc or mag not get digested.

i take zma then wait 45-1 hour then casein. love it
    Thank you so much! I will do the same.

shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) shadar is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I did some research on ZMA and I found a lot of placebo vs. ZMA studies that prove its effectiveness, plus it's not like the stuff costs a lot of money, its like $15 dollars for a 2 month supply.
    And if I remember correctly, Casein and Cottage Cheese are essentially the same type of protein, I just cannot for the life of me stomach, taste, or smell cottage cheese without getting sick!

Thank you so much! I will do the same.
    Rofl, basically everyone in the thread tells you not to waste your time/money and yet you go for it regardless.

Some people just want to be told what they want to hear, not the truth.

There is plenty of evidence showing ZMA doesn't do jack squat for anyone without a major zinc or magnesium deficiency. But by all means, believe the marketing and keep buying over-priced products, even though you could buy the individual vits on their own for a fraction of the cost.
    Latest Reviews:

My huge list of informative links: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132306613

Xtreme Formulations UP2 Multi-Flavor Review!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=129562583

jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Do tell ? The only study i recall that showed any effectiveness was the Brilla study...the one that is highly suspect for several reasons and that lied about being published in a reputable journal to lend credibilty but it turns out it never actually was. Then on the other hand i know of 3 credible studies that show its uselss. So im def open to seeing these placebo vs zma studies....

I'm not up for a fight guys, I don't know why everyone is being so damn hostile in this thread. I bought a bottle for ten dollars, I have over a month supply, I am going to try it and see if it works over the span I take it, if I notice any difference. You guys seem so insistent on disproving each other.

mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're taking ZMA to raise your testosterone, it's a waste of money.

If you're taking it as a sleep aid, it's only effective if you're not getting enough zinc and magnesium. For me, it helps me sleep great. But that's most likely because I'm cutting and not taking a multi.

Heaven forbid we want the truth on the table, so you can spend that ten bucks on something that actually has worth, such as a nice steak. But nah, waste the cash brah.

mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mupepe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not up for a fight guys, I don't know why everyone is being so damn hostile in this thread. I bought a bottle for ten dollars, I have over a month supply, I am going to try it and see if it works over the span I take it, if I notice any difference. You guys seem so insistent on disproving each other.
    Just don't take it with casein. Take your casein an hour before bed and your zma 30 minutes before bed. Just not at the same time because of absorption issues. I like zma. Gives me great dreams.

jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50) jimmyinkedup will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Whoa..... didnt mean to appear hostile if you are referring to me. Just would like to see those studies. Im fairly knowledgable on this product but am always looking for new info...so if you have any...please share.

As far as what you said - your right..its only 10 bucks..if you already bought it and you can hoenstly assess its effects then by all means give it a go.

alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz alan aragon has the mod powerz
    No one's insistent on disproving sh!t, research has already done that. The single study showing positive results from ZMA was funded by Victor Conte, the guy who developed it, holds the patent, & stands to profit most from ZMA sales. 2 independent, non-vested studies have since examined ZMA's effects and found that it does zippo for improving body composition, strength, or serum androgen levels. If you want to sleep better, take magnesium (citrate is easily accessible, bioavailable, and CHEAP). As for casein before bed to prevent your muscles from falling off by sunrise, that's another brotastic myth.

But hey, it's only your money.

PS - If you've already sealed your belief & hope in the magic of ZMA, it will probably work for you by sheer virtue of your strong expectation bias. Placebo effect FTW.
    Last edited by alan aragon; 03-04-2011 at 09:55 AM.

Originally Posted by alan aragon View Post
    No one's insistent on disproving sh!t, research has already done that. The single study showing positive results from ZMA was funded by Victor Conte, the guy who developed it, holds the patent, & stands to profit most from ZMA sales. 2 independent, non-vested studies have since examined ZMA's effects and found that it does zippo for improving body composition, strength, or serum androgen levels. If you want to sleep better, take magnesium (citrate is easily accessible, bioavailable, and CHEAP). As for casein before bed to prevent your muscles from falling off by sunrise, that's another brotastic myth.

But hey, it's only your money.

PS - If you've already sealed your belief & hope in the magic of ZMA, it will probably work for you by sheer virtue of your strong expectation bias. Placebo effect FTW.
    That's a nice straw man argument you got going for you there. Notice how I said I am trying it, notice how I said I only spent ten dollars on it, and notice how I never advocated it, not once... I am simply trying it out. I am not arguing with you, and never did. You assume too much of me. And to reference the above, I am taking it mostly for sleep aid, and since better sleep equivocates to better growth, its a direct effect!

That's a nice straw man argument you got going for you there. Notice how I said I am trying it, notice how I said I only spent ten dollars on it, and notice how I never advocated it, not once... I am simply trying it out. I am not arguing with you, and never did. You assume too much of me. And to reference the above, I am taking it mostly for sleep aid, and since better sleep equivocates to better growth, its a direct effect!
    Oh boy...negged.... for this and for lying about these zma vs placebo studies
    And I NEVER neg...
    I dont even care about rep...
    Its ignorance like yours that allows these uselss products to still thrive....
    Now i WANT you to waste your money on it.....