evanjb has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unusual exercises

I have been lifting weights for more than 6 months now. If we were to find a workout plan, it would consist of bench press, deadlift, squats, curls, pull ups, bent over rows, skullcrushers, crunches etc. These are probably the most common exercises in a bodybuilder's routine. I wanted to know whether do bodybuilders incorporate some unusual exercises such as:
    -) one arm push ups
    -) one legged squats
    -) one legged romanian deadlifts
    -) rope/chain/towel pull ups
    -) dragon flags
    -) L seat

These are the unusual exercises that i tried to incorporate in my workout. I do them because I like variation on my workouts and I like to be different. Do you think these exercises are good substitute for the common exercises? Can you name some other unusual exercises?

MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    common exercises are common because they work...

I once saw a bloke at the gym, lying back to the floor with a weighted barbell over his head, holding it on the floor with his arms locked out (like a lying down military press). He then bust out reps by bringing it to his chest whilst keeping his arms locked out (ending in the same pose as at the end of a bench press).

Presumably trying to work his lats or something. He wasn't exactly in shape though from what I remember. Weird to watch I have to say. Especially as he was doing it right in a walkway too.
    I'd rather be known to be nice than be nasty. And I do both equally well.

poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250) poloralphloren has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by evanjb View Post
    I have been lifting weights for more than 6 months now. If we were to find a workout plan, it would consist of bench press, deadlift, squats, curls, pull ups, bent over rows, skullcrushers, crunches etc. These are probably the most common exercises in a bodybuilder's routine. I wanted to know whether do bodybuilders incorporate some unusual exercises such as:
    -) one arm push ups
    -) one legged squats
    -) dragon flags
    -) L seat

These are the unusual exercises that i tried to incorporate in my workout. I do them because I like variation on my workouts and I like to be different. Do you think these exercises are good substitute for the common exercises? Can you name some other unusual exercises?
    Yes, the common exercises are common because they work, but you've listed some decent alternatives there. Doing an exercise unilaterally (one-armed) is a great modification, since you ensure that each side gets an equal workout and increases the stimulus for nearby stabilizing muscles to activate as well. They're just less efficient time-wise, since it takes twice as long to get through a set, but I'd say incorporate them now and then if you like.

(Not sure what dragon flags or L seats are though)

Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000) Bostongeorge617 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No, I don't think they should replace standard tried-and-true exercises, but they can compliment them.
    Use the tools of the trade to help you. I use devices such as chalk for grip strength, gloves, wrist straps, lifting belts - if it helps you lift more, it's all good. - Ronnie Coleman, Hardcore, 2007 Triumph Books

Biggest question in bodybuilding: Whaddaya bench? As I've said before, it doesn't matter how much you bench; it matters how much you [i]look[/i] like you bench... There's no round on stage that's the benchpress round. - Bob Chicherillo, World Class Physique, CMG

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Towel pull ups are good if you want to add extra work on your forearms.

Dragon flags are an excellent ab move.

You might be able to make an argument for pistols.

The others are probably best left out of a solid routine. Especially one legged RDLs. Which if you look at the mechanics of it, would actually be a SLDL.

+ You factor in the weight, balance and mechanics of the lift and it is about useless all around, except for training you to pick up a bag of groceries in an overly awkward manner.
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I used to do one arm pushups when I had good shoulders.

Rope chins
    Ring chins
    Goodmornings
    Rack pulls
    Power shrugs
    Hise shrugs
    Sled dragging
    Grip machine
    Lever bar
    One arm cleans, snatches
    Side press
    Overhead squat
    Broomstick shoulder "dislocates"
    L-fly
    RC dumbell stretch.

Many are assistance exercises for my squats, presses etc which are always done first.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10) MARKYTYSON is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    I used to do one arm pushups when I had good shoulders.

Rope chins
    Ring chins
    Goodmornings
    Rack pulls
    Power shrugs
    Hise shrugs
    Sled dragging
    Grip machine
    Lever bar
    One arm cleans, snatches
    Side press
    Overhead squat
    Broomstick shoulder "dislocates"
    L-fly
    RC dumbell stretch.

Many are assistance exercises for my squats, presses etc which are always done first.
    Most of those are pretty standard excercises. Curious about Broomstick shoulder "dislocates" though....

I'll have a google...

... and google tells me.... very intersting!

lol

mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mindstrong has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

unusual exercises

Here are some of the "extra" unusual exercises i do...

1. Lateral raise bow.. (raise to side then bow down so chest touches knees)
    2.Cuban press
    3. Unilateral Lat cable pullbacks/reverse shrug extension.. i believe it increases lat width at top...yeah im probably wrong but it feels like its working/ rear upright row (really burns rd)
    4. Straight arm Lat and chest pullovers
    5. Decline Overhead Barbell situp
    6. Lying front raise to lat pullover (from thighs to behind head, arms fully extended)
    7. Diagonal snatch/ seated snatch/ lying snatch from side/ chest snatch
    8. Hip press/ standing free suspended chest press
    9, and a load of isometrics and other unusual exercises
    ....and yet i refuse to do bench press...GASP hehe

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MARKYTYSON View Post
    Most of those are pretty standard excercises. Curious about Broomstick shoulder "dislocates" though....

I'll have a google...

... and google tells me.... very intersting!

lol
    They may be standard exercises in books, but I've never seen anyone else do them around here.

Dislocates is a mobilizer for all olympic weightlifters. They need mutant shoulder flexiblitiy, since they aren't fazed by overhead squats, full squat snatches, they even thrive on press/push press/jerk behind the neck.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Towel pull ups are good if you want to add extra work on your forearms.

Dragon flags are an excellent ab move.

You might be able to make an argument for pistols.

The others are probably best left out of a solid routine. Especially one legged RDLs. Which if you look at the mechanics of it, would actually be a SLDL.

+ You factor in the weight, balance and mechanics of the lift and it is about useless all around, except for training you to pick up a bag of groceries in an overly awkward manner.
    Hmmm, I thought the one arm push up is a solid substitute for bench press. Do you know of any other challenging alternative exercises for the chest?

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    They may be standard exercises in books, but I've never seen anyone else do them around here.
    Fair point mate.

Yeah, read about Dislocates. Interesting actually.

Not sure I could find a place for them, or whether I would need to, but I can see the point of them.

Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Greedo is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Well I'm the only one in my gym that does face pulls and everyone looks at me like wtf.

Originally Posted by Greedo View Post
    Well I'm the only one in my gym that does face pulls and everyone looks at me like wtf.
    Ha, really?

WTF ...

pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pep_meister has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What's your take on farmers carry/walk with dumbbells? I usually do this with 55lb dumbbells and walk around my gym. 3 sets After arm day. It feels good

Originally Posted by pep_meister View Post
    What's your take on farmers carry/walk with dumbbells? I usually do this with 55lb dumbbells and walk around my gym. 3 sets After arm day. It feels good
    I do farmers walk but with two loaded barbells

Every Saturday, I do like an "events" day. My own little version of strongman events. I do:

Farmers Walk - with the two barbells
    Bag Carry - I have a 60kg punch bag that a carry at chest height up and down my garden
    Bag flip - I also have a long thin old school punch bag that I think weights about 120kg that I flip end to end.
    Sled Run - a rope around my lifting belt attached to that old school bag, and I just pull it along my garden.
    Keg Toss - I have a 20kg med ball which i throw over head like a keg toss.
    Clean and Press - Just for a bit of fun and explosive full body power

I love these little events that I do. It's a good break from weights and it's fun too.

Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Xuaxace is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by pep_meister View Post
    I'm also the only person in my gym to do it, everyone looks at me rather weirdly.

DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Do the Farmers Walk on your toes and you get a hell of a calf workout too. It is one of my favorites.

I also do cable face pulls. After seeing me do them there are at least 3 other groups that have started doing them. I have done them standing which also works the core and laying down on a bench which alows you to pull more weight.

Every Saturday, I do like an "events" day. My own little version of strongman events. I do:

Bag Carry - I have a 60kg punch bag that a carry at chest height up and down my garden
    Bag flip - I also have a long thin old school punch bag that I think weights about 120kg that I flip end to end.
    Sled Run - a rope around my lifting belt attached to that old school bag, and I just pull it along my garden.

I love these little events that I do. It's a good break from weights and it's fun too.
    Wow, i'd love to try that one day. Too bad I don't have access to all the equipment.

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by evanjb View Post
    -) one arm push ups
    -) one legged squats
    -) dragon flags
    -) L seat

Yes, they area good substitute depending on your goals. If you are just looking to train for muscle size, they are not the best. Although if you want functional strength, and the ability to effectively move your own body as needed in ( martial arts, wrestling etc), they are one of the best you can do.
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i do all funny exercises...

Most i like dragon flags....because it helps with your core most i would say , besides side chopping wood ...

Beware of dragon flags....2 weeks ago i broke a bench doing them ....)....everybody started to laugh like crazy when i fell to the sides with a slab of the bench in my hands ...

My two cents...they are fun to do, then just deadlifting and pressing all the time...they make you work in more than the standard way your muscles.....and you can seriously realize that sometimes even if you could do great on standard exercises you will fail faster on the ridiculous ones .
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) chazzy1864 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Why do all of your posts contain an inordinate amount of emote icons?
    -
    Alchemist of Alcohol
    -
    -
    -
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=126418493

XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) XADO is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by chazzy1864 View Post
    Why do all of your posts contain an inordinate amount of emote icons?
    I'm a funny guy? ....

Here, i use just the top emoticon this time.
    If your body cannot handle it, make sure sheer willpower will.....

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    I think everyone wants 1-arm push ups. Not just for the cool looks but since it gives way better max-strength training options when you lack equipment.

common exercises are common because they work...
    I dunno, I've been seeing this type of stuff very commonly these days...

You sure bro?

I once saw a bloke at the gym, lying back to the floor with a weighted barbell over his head, holding it on the floor with his arms locked out (like a lying down military press). He then bust out reps by bringing it to his chest whilst keeping his arms locked out (ending in the same pose as at the end of a bench press).

Presumably trying to work his lats or something. He wasn't exactly in shape though from what I remember. Weird to watch I have to say. Especially as he was doing it right in a walkway too.
    I had a bit of trouble understanding this description at first, but is it possible he was doing a straight arm pullover?

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...BPullover.html

People can do these on the ground too if they don't have a bench, though may be less comfortable.

CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CompoundIron has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

That's a cool frickin idea, sounds fun!
    "Nothing in life worth having comes easy"