ianreuter10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Recommended Mats for Extended HIIT Workouts

Hi guys,

I am hoping you can give me some advice regarding what the best type of mat would be for extended HIIT-like training. I have been doing similar routines for the past couple years, but at this point I am over getting shin splints, and the occasional wrist pain. Routines normally run about 1:20 and involve various high impact exercises (i.e: tuck jumps (which really aggravate the shin splints), burpees, lizard hops, etc. I am looking for a pad that would provide adequate cushioning, but more importantly I want something that doesn't collapse significantly under high force landings, so as to make secondary explosive efforts more difficult that necessary. Also, the mat would be placed on a carpet floor, so ideally the mat would have non-slip carpet properties on its lower side. I have yet to purchase any type of mat online, because I can't find good information regarding their rebound properties and their overall padding ability. Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) radrd has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I have this mat and like it quite a bit for Insanity, which sounds similar to what you're doing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also place it on carpet. It does slide a little on my carpet during a long HIIT workout, but not so much that I'd ever want something different. I really like the texture and it has no smell. I used to have issues with shin splints - I think mainly from running on sidewalks. No shin splint issues with HIIT and this mat. Can't make any guarantees that it will help you though. It's not very thick and you might want something more cushioned. No issues with collapse with various jumping activities. Shows virtually no wear after nearly three years of usage 4-6 days most weeks.

sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000) sera310 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hard to beat stall mats from Tractor Supply

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I second the stall mat idea.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ianreuter10 View Post
    Hi guys,

I am hoping you can give me some advice regarding what the best type of mat would be for extended HIIT-like training. I have been doing similar routines for the past couple years, but at this point I am over getting shin splints, and the occasional wrist pain. Routines normally run about 1:20 and involve various high impact exercises (i.e: tuck jumps (which really aggravate the shin splints), burpees, lizard hops, etc. I am looking for a pad that would provide adequate cushioning, but more importantly I want something that doesn't collapse significantly under high force landings, so as to make secondary explosive efforts more difficult that necessary. Also, the mat would be placed on a carpet floor, so ideally the mat would have non-slip carpet properties on its lower side. I have yet to purchase any type of mat online, because I can't find good information regarding their rebound properties and their overall padding ability. Any suggestions you guys have are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Regupol flooring, I realise this is generally sold in large rolls to cover complete gym floors, but here in the UK, I see off cuts for sale on eBay etc, maybe 6'x4' or 8'x4', for a very reasonable cost.

I have it in my home gym, it's 3/8" thick and I find it every bit as hard wearing and supportive as a 3/4" thick stall mat. Having said this, to me it's more forgiving than stall mats, providing a little more cushioning when landing from box jumps etc, I guess this isn't surprising as Regupol has been designed for multiple gym applications