sm28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sm28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

why can't i feel anything on shrugs

i use a 45 dumbbell and i go up slow and hold from 3 seconds and slowly back down but i don't feel anything in my shoulders i don't think i have bad form and i don't think it too heavy so i don't know what to do.

Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gavin9 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    45 is quite light for shrugs depending on your size/strength and are you sure your doing them properly?

Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000) Number_Seven is just really nice. (+1000)
    ^Could be too light, but you should still feel something. Make sure you are doing them right. Put your feet together, make sure you're not pushing off with your legs and just bouncing the weight; though you probably are not if you let it down slowly.

That may actually be too much weight too, you should really be raising your shoulders pretty high. Make sure you're not doing 1/4 shrugs, try lighter weight.

ddigangi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    there is more to it then just taking the 45s and doing some slow sets, trying upping the weight per set following a 10,8,6 (rep count)

head over to the bench, shrug the bar with some weight on it, same setup, or do your slow reps with holds, etc.

terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000) terman1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    What do you mean by feel the exercise? Are you referring to while you are doing them or do you mean having DOMS the next day. Are you thinking about your traps while you're doing them or are you just shrugging your shoulders up and down? Maybe try going a little heavier and/or adding more reps. Can try them behind the back or seated for something different as well to see if you feel more of a connection.

oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000) oldballs is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by sm28 View Post
    i use a 45 dumbbell and i go up slow and hold from 3 seconds and slowly back down but i don't feel anything in my shoulders i don't think i have bad form and i don't think it too heavy so i don't know what to do.
    I had the same problem, try alternating dumbell shrugs, seems to hit it a little different. I also like behind the back shrugs using a low pully and standing about 3 feet away, seemed to hit the sweet spot for me. now I have no problem hitting them with any shrug.

JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10) JohnCusack is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    switch it to 55 and do this, or actually do about 50 reps per set at 45

my max shrug weight was 630 for 5 reps then my straps slipped

and i feel more of a burn doing lower weight high reps than i do moving 630
    <unfunny inside joke>
    <statement of how badass i am>
    <quote from angry forum poster towards me>
    <motivational quote>

unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000) unity is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have always felt it best with power shrugs. Explode up but try to hold it at the top of the movement.
    i'm hungry

ddigangi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by unity View Post
    I have always felt it best with power shrugs. Explode up but try to hold it at the top of the movement.
    +1 on power shrugs

matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) matjusm is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    There really isn't much technique to shrugs so not a whole lot you can do wrong there.

Secondly, why are you talking about shoulders? Shrugs are a trap exercise. Anyway, just because you aren't feeling an exercise doesn't mean that the muscles that its used to train aren't being worked. You can't do a shrug without your traps (which I assume you're referring to) so don't be so worried about not feeling it.
    Strength + Speed = Power

If you never fail, you aren't truly pushing yourself to the limit. If you never push yourself to the limit, how do you know what you're truly capable of?

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Power cleans FTW.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.