Closed Thread
    smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Exclamation Are lentils dangerous?

Hi guys,
    I eat a lot of lentils. In the past I ate the normal sized grey lentils but they needed way too long cooking time. On the lable it said 45 minutes but I only cooked them 20-25 minutes because after that they would dissolve.
    And then I switched to small red lentils which have 10 minutes according to the lable. But I cook them only 5-6 minutes because they also tend to dissolve.
    However I recently read that lentils and beans and stuff like that contains dangerous proteins (phasin and other proteins) which need to be destroyed by cooking. If you ate raw beans for example then it could be lethal!
    I wasn't aware of that. I also did not read any warning on the lables of the lentils. What if I did not cook them long enough and the stuff was still in there?
    This really worries me. I only eat lentils cause I thought they're healthy but what if I have been cooking them not long enough and then actually harmed myself all those years since I started eating them?

I also read that the water in which beans are soaked and cooked could also contain these dangerous proteins! But when I cook the lentils then many times I use the water in which they were cooked to make a soup. What if the water is dangerous?

snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) snorkelman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    you are going to get responses like

tl;dr

this is all you needed to post:

Originally Posted by smarta55 View Post
    I recently read that lentils and beans and stuff like that contains dangerous proteins (phasin and other proteins) which need to be destroyed by cooking. If you ate raw beans for example then it could be lethal!

smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) smarta55 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by snorkelman View Post
    you are going to get responses like

tl;dr

this is all you needed to post:
    What do you mean? I am not joking. I do not know if this affects all raw beans but I know for a fact that I read that beans can be dangerous or even lethal when eaten raw!

Registered User noaddedhormones's Avatar
    noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    relax eat your lentils when have you ever heard of anyone dying or even getting sick from eating them? some unorthodox doctors always come up with this random bullsh*t just like potatoes will give you cancer etc
    OL R&D
    NoChit

bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bennettj has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hi guys,
    I eat a lot of lentils. In the past I ate the normal sized grey lentils but they needed way too long cooking time. On the lable it said 45 minutes but I only cooked them 20-25 minutes because after that they would dissolve.
    And then I switched to small red lentils which have 10 minutes according to the lable. But I cook them only 5-6 minutes because they also tend to dissolve.
    However I recently read that lentils and beans and stuff like that contains dangerous proteins (phasin and other proteins) which need to be destroyed by cooking. If you ate raw beans for example then it could be lethal!
    I wasn't aware of that. I also did not read any warning on the lables of the lentils. What if I did not cook them long enough and the stuff was still in there?
    This really worries me. I only eat lentils cause I thought they're healthy but what if I have been cooking them not long enough and then actually harmed myself all those years since I started eating them?

I also read that the water in which beans are soaked and cooked could also contain these dangerous proteins! But when I cook the lentils then many times I use the water in which they were cooked to make a soup. What if the water is dangerous?
    Lentils are nowhere near dangerous. They are very fibrous and healthy.

/thread
    My guilty pleasure: excessive cardio.

Progress towards the 1000 lb club: 945/1000
    Bulking until I hit 1000. I don't care if it takes a 40 pound weight gain. No more pussyfooting around.

"The consummate leader cultivates the moral law and strictly adheres to method and discipline; thus it is in his power to control success." - Sun Tzu

This is no BS from a single doctor. This stuff really is dangerous.
    This is also why you cannot eat certain sprouts raw and have to boil them because the beans contain substances which are supposed to protect them from insects which might eat them which are harmful for humans. They make the blood clot together. I will try to find out more about this.

Chasing cats since 1967 WonderPug's Avatar
    WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WonderPug has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    the beans contain substances which are supposed to protect them from insects which might eat them which are harmful for humans. They make the blood clot together.
    So do platelets (thrombocytes), but if your platelet count is too low then you're in trouble.

Check this out. This is for real.

http://www.rawfoodinfo.com/real%20le...reenbeans.html

http://www.economypoint.org/p/phasin.html

In the worst case the consumption can be deadly, in some cases was enough a handful of raw garden beans around death to cause. With particularly phasinreichen kinds like e.g. red kidney beans already 4 or 5 raw seeds are enough, in order to cause with the adult symptoms.

Registered User noaddedhormones's Avatar
    noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) noaddedhormones is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    haha "My sister & niece in Germany swear that raw green beans are poisonous"
    solid credibility to your argument
    OL R&D
    NoChit

Did you look at the second link? This is real. And I'm worried now.

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    OP isn't lying, but the dangers are overstated.

http://www.fda.gov/food/foodsafety/f.../ucm071092.htm

The worst symptoms one will usually have are food poisoning symptoms. PHA is in beans, but I need to look up whether it's in lentils. If you haven't been getting sick from the beans, chances are that you are cooking them enough.

EDIT: I don't see anything significant about lentil PHA.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Hi, I read that lentils also contain phasin. But I also read other sources which said they have no phasin.

What worries me is that I also read that this stuff can somehow stick to the colon cells or something like that and cause metabolic problems.
    I thought that lentils are good for the colon because of the fibers. But when at the same time there's a risk when not cooking them enough then I don't know if I will keep eating them. I mean I don't even know how one can tell wether they have been cooked long enough. Should they be totally soft or does it matter if they still are a bit al dente? I don't like them when they are dissolved and turn into pulp.

GWThrilla has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did you look at the second link? This is real. And I'm worried now.
    I was deployed in 2009 because we've been at war with lentil eating nations for ever. I didn't see many fat or sick Afghans and they are healthy enough to try and kill us. All of the central american countries live on beans too. Are you sick yet? I usually don't take head to a message that one or two doctors are pushing. If it was real or even believable the whole medical community and the fda would be all over it. I eat legumes (black beans, pink beans, navy beans, lentils etc) 4 times a week for the last 3 years (high fiber diabetes diet from nutritionist) with no negative issues and plenty of positives like lowered blood sugar and weight loss.

If you enjoyed lentils for a substantial amount of time with no illness, why do you believe all the hype?

Good luck!

jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10) jdrdroo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you ate raw beans it would be lethal. However, people eat raw sprouted lentils all the time.

IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) IronAbrams is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You come onto the forum asking if lentils are dangerous and are told by several forum members that your concerns aren't anything to be worried about. Good responses which you ignore. If you're so convicted then why then are you even asking the question?

The topic has been raised by a few diet gurus but I'd like to see the bodies.
    IG: @toadkillerdog

joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) joelash302 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    What do you mean? I am not joking. I do not know if this affects all raw beans but I know for a fact that I read that beans can be dangerous or even lethal when eaten raw!
    It's true. I was mugged by a garbanzo bean once.
    *Unaesthetic Crew* Disregard V-Taper, Acquire PRs.

My 5/3/1 log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142349681

stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hi guys,

Who eats raw beans? Besides bean sprouts which is different.
    Don't undercook your beans and they will be harmless.

Hi, I was just worried after reading this. I mean it simply sucks when I dont know how I can tell wether lentins are ready to be eaten. If I cook them as long as the lable says then they fall apart. I prefer them when they still are more solid but then I also worry what if they still have some toxic proteins in them?
    I have also eaten canned kidney beans and sometimes I get a bean which is still pretty solid. I never thought that this could be undercooked and bear a risk.

MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) MakeABanana has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hi, I was just worried after reading this. I mean it simply sucks when I dont know how I can tell wether lentins are ready to be eaten. If I cook them as long as the lable says then they fall apart. I prefer them when they still are more solid but then I also worry what if they still have some toxic proteins in them?
    I have also eaten canned kidney beans and sometimes I get a bean which is still pretty solid. I never thought that this could be undercooked and bear a risk.
    The stress you are incurring from worrying about this too much is probably worse than what the beans will do after you cook them the way you do.
    أشهد أن لا إله إلاَّ الله و أشهد أن محمد رسول الله

Originally Posted by MakeABanana View Post
    The stress you are incurring from worrying about this too much is probably worse than what the beans will do after you cook them the way you do.
    Maybe, I simply worry a lot about such things. But I also never had imagined that uncooked beans could be dangerous I think this is crazy.

stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000) stancel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe, I simply worry a lot about such things. But I also never had imagined that uncooked beans could be dangerous I think this is crazy.
    how is it crazy when 99.9% of people eat them cooked, not raw? how could you even eat a raw bean? it would be like chewing rocks I think.

TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100) TheLordsHand is not very well liked. (-100)
    I can't imagine wasting this much time reading this thread let alone the amount of time this guy has wasted worrying about this. You got a bunch of answers you don't want to listen to. I'm sure people in rl are as annoyed as we are.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by TheLordsHand View Post
    I can't imagine wasting this much time reading this thread let alone the amount of time this guy has wasted worrying about this. You got a bunch of answers you don't want to listen to. I'm sure people in rl are as annoyed as we are.
    I can't imagine wasting this much time digging up a thread that is 7 years old...
    "When I die, I hope it's early in the morning so I don't have to go to work that day for no reason"

broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000) broganoff is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    I can't imagine wasting this much time digging up a thread that is 7 years old...
    Still annoyed 7 years later. Never Forget

GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GeneralSerpant has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A man's gotta eat.
    There's no rule that says the dog can't play.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by TheLordsHand View Post
    You dug up a 7 year old thread to get annoyed about, good job.