Diabetic Body Builder Trevor1900's Avatar
    Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000)

Tips for training 14yr old?

Is this too young for weights?

I just picked up a client in the gym, im currently not certified officially, but i was 2 years ago.

Any tips for me to train this young man?

Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Stick to the basic compound moves and be a stickler for form. Get him started on the right path for a lifetime of proper weightlifting.

Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000) Trevor1900 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
    Stick to the basic compound moves and be a stickler for form. Get him started on the right path for a lifetime of proper weightlifting.
    Oh most definitely, but is he old enough to lift? I know theres concern about lifting with younger people cause of growth plates or something(not sure the name).
    Im all about form and technique though straight up!

Also i should probably make some sort of disclaimer waiver in case his parents wanna sue me right?

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Trevor1900 View Post
    Oh most definitely, but is he old enough to lift? I know theres concern about lifting with younger people cause of growth plates or something(not sure the name).
    Im all about form and technique though straight up!

Also i should probably make some sort of disclaimer waiver in case his parents wanna sue me right?
    You should make every client sign a waiver, every time.

Yes, 14 year olds are old enough to lift. Perhaps not to get into powerlifting, but there's no reason why he can't lift weights. Growth plates are irrelevant.

Originally Posted by lexinak View Post

Yes, 14 year olds are old enough to lift. Perhaps not to get into powerlifting, but there's no reason why he can't lift weights. Growth plates are irrelevant.
    Ok good good..
    He just wants to start bodybuilding, you know for the girls, but under my instruction hes gonna do everything 100% correct.

Thanks guys, any other tips appreciated!

Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by lexinak View Post

x2 on all this. Absolutely make his parents sign something! As far as growth plate concerns, he should be fine as long as you aren't overdoing the weight (obviously)

TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250) TryStoppinMe has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    since he's under 15, i'd make sure you get parental consent

sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I just picked up a client in the gym, im currently not certified officially, but i was 2 years ago.

I would cut out the exercises that put a lot of pressure on the spine and knees (squats, deadlifts, bent over rows). I know that those exercises are very effective but there is also a very high risk of injury if you do these (even with good form). I would give him a routine like this:

Workout 1:

2 sets Wide Dips
    2 sets Shoulder Press
    2 sets Side Raises
    2 sets Barbell Skullcrushers
    2 sets Leg Press

Workout 2:

2 sets Chin Ups
    2 sets Seated Cable Rows
    2 sets Shrugs
    2 sets Barbell Curls
    2 sets Calf Raises

Every set to positive muscular faillure with good form (controlled negative and powerful positive). You should fail between 5 and 8 reps.

He should train on monday, wednesday and friday (alternating between workout 1 and 2).
    My workout looks nearly the same but i only do 1 set per exercise and it works very well.
    In my opinion this kid must learn that it's all about the quality and not the quantity of the workout. In general a workout programm should allow you to progress from session to session because if you are getting stronger you are getting bigger. A workout log is very important too.
    Nutrition should be kept very basic. 4-6 balanced meals a day (50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat) and no processed foods in your diet are optimal. And don't get confused about calories. As you grow you will naturally get more hungry and eat more. I think many people focus too much on nutrition and forget that we are just lifting weights. You won't grow more by taking in all those new supplements that are entering the market. Just use the basics: Protein powder, multivitamins/-minerals, efa's and creatine (optional).

I'm only saying my opinion and what works for me. Those things are the basic tips i would give a beginner.

Good luck

Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Scots65 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Make sure you really teach him proper form!

lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000) lexinak is just really nice. (+1000)

More about the growth plate business:
    The growth (or epiphyseal) plate is a disc of cartilage at the ends of long bones (humerus, femur, etc) in the young human body. The growth plate basically allows the bones to continue growing, and when they're done growing the cartilage is replaced with bone.

So in practical terms, the epiphyseal plate is the weak link in the kinetic chain for younger people, rather than the tendons and ligaments. That means that if the kid makes a wrong move, he's more likely to break a bone at the growth plate than tear a ligament. Which, really, isn't that bad - I broke my humerus at the epiphyseal plate at age 12, no ill effects - unless it isn't cared for properly, and there's no reason why it shouldn't be.

So that's what people think they're concerned about: A kid lifting weights that are too heavy/with poor form, breaking a bone, and then not getting it put in a cast to heal. No, scratch that, people don't think enough to realize that's what the concern is all about! If you ask anyone who claims "bodybuilding stunts your growth" they won't be able to explain the growth plate risk; they'll just say that they heard/read it somewhere.

bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bigw10921 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Stick to the basics...Keep the weight moderate and the reps high. teach proper form...

broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) broad.stance is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ben (tovlakas) trained a 14 year old last year. Perhaps he can give an update on his experience and offer some insight.

His thread:
    Training Youth: Strategies to Get Them to Take Training/Nutrition Seriously
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125454233
    Hums the theme to Superman during planks and LYTPs. Now that you've read this, you will too.

All right boys, now watch how this is done. The key is to put it all in your groin and your back.
    Take your legs totally out of the equation. Lift with your lower back in a jerking, twisting motion.
    -- Peter Griffin

Go down the line:
    http://www.greatergood.com

jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jdjprimer19 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by sebbbi91 View Post
    I would cut out the exercises that put a lot of pressure on the spine and knees (squats, deadlifts, bent over rows). I know that those exercises are very effective but there is also a very high risk of injury if you do these (even with good form). I would give him a routine like this:

Workout 1:

2 sets Wide Dips
    2 sets Shoulder Press
    2 sets Side Raises
    2 sets Leg Press

Workout 2:

2 sets Chin Ups
    2 sets Seated Cable Rows
    2 sets Shrugs
    2 sets Barbell Curls
    2 sets Calf Raises

Every set to positive muscular faillure with good form (controlled negative and powerful positive). You should fail between 5 and 8 reps.

He should train on monday, wednesday and friday (alternating between workout 1 and 2).
    My workout looks nearly the same but i only do 1 set per exercise and it works very well.
    In my opinion this kid must learn that it's all about the quality and not the quantity of the workout. In general a workout programm should allow you to progress from session to session because if you are getting stronger you are getting bigger. A workout log is very important too.
    Nutrition should be kept very basic. 4-6 balanced meals a day (50% Carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat) and no processed foods in your diet are optimal. And don't get confused about calories. As you grow you will naturally get more hungry and eat more. I think many people focus too much on nutrition and forget that we are just lifting weights. You won't grow more by taking in all those new supplements that are entering the market. Just use the basics: Protein powder, multivitamins/-minerals, efa's and creatine (optional).

I'm only saying my opinion and what works for me. Those things are the basic tips i would give a beginner.

Good luck
    Retard advice.
    JDJ's 5/3/1 Revamped
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=143074093&page=10

"...any statement, whether made by a scientist or not, should be open to logical analysis. Immense prestige and authority does not compensate for faulty logic." John Lennox

http://www.bullseyefitness.net

nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) nsiegel5 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by sebbbi91 View Post

Workout 1:

2 sets Wide Dips
    2 sets Shoulder Press
    2 sets Side Raises
    2 sets Leg Press

Workout 2:

2 sets Chin Ups
    2 sets Seated Cable Rows
    2 sets Shrugs
    2 sets Barbell Curls
    2 sets Calf Raises

Good luck
    Wow just wow.
    You blew my mind and not in a good way, go spread your hocus pocus some place else

Tank.. Tank.. TAAAANK. WannaBeATank's Avatar
    WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WannaBeATank is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Starting strength, give him a good strength base. I've almost doubled all of my lifts in two months.
    Look me in the eye. It's okay if you are scared, so am I, but we are scared for different reasons. I am scared of what I willn't become, you are scared of what I could become. Look at me! I will not let myself end where I started, I will not let myself finish where I begin. I know what is within me, even if you can't see it yet. Look me in the eyes, I have something more important than courage, I have patience. I will become what I know I am.

drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drive805 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

start smart...

nutrition first.....teach that nutrition is the building block to the beginning of a great base.... second basic low to moderate weight exercises working on strict form. I would do body weight exercises to start. Make it an interesting and learning experience so he will continue to come back. Good luck

sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sebbbi91 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by nsiegel5 View Post
    Wow just wow.
    You blew my mind and not in a good way, go spread your hocus pocus some place else
    Explain please.

MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MZ360 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Ok good good..
    He just wants to start bodybuilding, you know for the girls, but under my instruction hes gonna do everything 100% correct.

Thanks guys, any other tips appreciated!

Only thing I would strongly suggest is changing his diet..not sure what he is currently at but if he wants to gain muscle/mass well im sure you know he will have to adjust that as well..as far as weights..yes thats fine..I got my daughter into lifting when she was 13 ..shes now D'ling 200lbs (feelssoproud) just keep his form in check and he'll be alright ..

good luck
    *live..love..lift* & Deadlift

5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000) 5more is just really nice. (+1000)
    To answer your question...No he's not too young. My son plays rep hockey. At his age, 13 size is very important. Stick to compound exercises. I've got him in the gym 3x a week. Full body routine. Emphisis on chest back legs and abs. The large muscle groups. He lifts heavy. And eats like a monster. Shoulders are assisting when working back. Triceps assisted with chest. For biceps I get him to hold isometric contractions with lunges and squats. We don't directly work biceps triceps and shoulders at the moment. We will when he starts putting on mass.

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I train 9 - 12 year olds all the time. Mostly for sports-specific training.
    We mostly get into running mechanics, agility, cardiovascular endurance, footwork, plyometrics with med balls, box jumps ect. Some strength training like resistance band rows, overhead lunges with a medicine ball, push ups, inverted rows.

We train as young as 7. Chances are if someone is training under the age of 18 it's for sports.

We start getting into the heavier weights at 13 or 14.