nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50)

misleading bf %, what gives?

So I made a post awhile back concerning my body and the unsightly aftermath I am left with after losing 100 pounds. My bf % was guesttimated at 13-15% which sounded about right. I had a 7 point skinfold test done that yielded 10.6% and just recently a hydrostatic test performed that yielded 9.59%

Help me understand these numbers, why are they low? I showed the number to some friends and even they agreed they were surprised that my numbers were that low. Does that mean that this is indeed excess skin or what? Not trying to repeat myself here but I'd like some more insight since I had a more conclusive test performed (hydrostatic).

A little back story about myself, February of last year I was 269lbs, I got down to ~165 and since have gotten up to ~171, but I'm maintaining this weight and focusing on muscle mass. My overall goal is bulk but the skin has me concerned.

I attached some before and after pics for you guys.

Before:

Now:
    Attached Images
    ::: Activate Xtreme & Triazole Log :::
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=132810753

MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    yeah man its the loose / extra skin making you look not like the numbers I guess.

at least you lost the weight and thats a great thing.

might need to look into surgery to fix the skin and make things tight.

you could try a few bulk/cut cycles and over time the skin might get alittle better..

ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ECU_Pirate1990 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hate to be the bearer of bad knew but you should probably go and at least talk to a plastic surgeon. You can bulk up but you will never fill it completely in. Sorry man
    Start weight: 240 July 2010 (30% + bf)
    Current: 185 Feb 2011

Goal Weight For Cut: 175 @ 10%

nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50) nathanfajkus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah that may be my only option unfortunately. I lost the 100 pounds in a relatively short amount of time (8 months) so perhaps my skin will naturally tighten up in a year or so, I am 21 so that may help some. The doctor who performed my skin fold test told me to wait at least a year before consulting with a plastic surgeon, which might be what I do. My thing is it sucks to have those low numbers but it now show.

MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50) MdFitness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by nathanfajkus View Post
    Yeah that may be my only option unfortunately. I lost the 100 pounds in a relatively short amount of time (8 months) so perhaps my skin will naturally tighten up in a year or so, I am 21 so that may help some. The doctor who performed my skin fold test told me to wait at least a year before consulting with a plastic surgeon, which might be what I do. My thing is it sucks to have those low numbers but it now show.
    dont fret you still looks so much better now though.

alittle surgery down the road would be worth it man, keep your head up!

Originally Posted by MdFitness View Post
    dont fret you still looks so much better now though.

alittle surgery down the road would be worth it man, keep your head up!
    Thanks for the reassurance man, greatly appreciated.

calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) calle13 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Man, congratulations on the weight loss. My chest is looking a lot like yours, but with a little more fat. I went from 317 to 177 in one year.

Some people told me i will need surgery but i asked people who lost a lot of weight too and they tell me to wait, is not gonna be a couple of months, it will take a couple of years but i will wait for it. Maybe you should wait too.

I am trying to stay at the samwe weight and gain some muscle since i still have a good ammount of fat all over my body.

Good luck with that! You are looking great.

P.S: Can you PM your diet and workout please? I am trying to recomp.

Originally Posted by calle13 View Post
    Man, congratulations on the weight loss. My chest is looking a lot like yours, but with a little more fat. I went from 317 to 177 in one year.

Some people told me i will need surgery but i asked people who lost a lot of weight too and they tell me to wait, is not gonna be a couple of months, it will take a couple of years but i will wait for it. Maybe you should wait too.

I am trying to stay at the samwe weight and gain some muscle since i still have a good ammount of fat all over my body.

Good luck with that! You are looking great.

P.S: Can you PM your diet and workout please? I am trying to recomp.
    wow 317 to 177 in one year?! That is amazing man, my hats off too you. And you're right, thinking about it, I have been fat my whole life so what's a couple years if it means my skin will tighten up. Surgery may be an option later down the road is absolutely necessary because I don't know about you but I don't want the easy way out, I've lost the weight myself so I'd like to continue this naturally. But if our bodies skin is unable to tighten naturally we deserve surgery man.

BTW, I will pm you shortly.

coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000) coals is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have the same problem though not as harsh OP. My True bf is 1-2% lower than I actually look because the skin is not tight at all.

theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500) theriftable is not very helpful. (-500)
    its loose skin, the only way to get rid of that is surgery.

other than that it looks like you have a real low bf%.

what was your diet like to lose all that weight?

Originally Posted by coals View Post
    I have the same problem though not as harsh OP. My True bf is 1-2% lower than I actually look because the skin is not tight at all.
    Yeah it sucks as far as aesthetic reasons go.
    Originally Posted by theriftable View Post
    its loose skin, the only way to get rid of that is surgery.

other than that it looks like you have a real low bf%.

what was your diet like to lose all that weight?
    I didn't follow any set diet I just strayed away sugary and fatty foods. I didn't go crazy and count my exact calorie intake but I was eating well below my BMR. I lived off Healthy Choice Steamers while dieting lol.

Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000) Nexxus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    so much loose skin
    Training with Osteolysis and a gigantic ganglion cyst... One day I will surgery, but not today...

AsianBBCGenetics

Originally Posted by Nexxus View Post
    so much loose skin
    sucks man, and is gross.

threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) threeoneg is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sucks man, and is gross.
    It's not gross man, It's a testament to your dedication.
    *Gorilla Biscuits crew*

flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50) flinkpoyd01 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Repped for another dude who's lost 100lbs in about a year. I have some loose skin too but I think with time it's getting better. Just keep working hard and don't be afraid to up your cals to a good maintenance or slightly higher rate. It was a little nerve wracking at first for me to jump my cals up so much - it put in perspective how much of a deficit I was in during my cut as I didn't count cals at the time.

Good luck man!

Originally Posted by threeoneg View Post
    It's not gross man, It's a testament to your dedication.
    Thanks man that means alot!
    Originally Posted by flinkpoyd01 View Post
    Repped for another dude who's lost 100lbs in about a year. I have some loose skin too but I think with time it's getting better. Just keep working hard and don't be afraid to up your cals to a good maintenance or slightly higher rate. It was a little nerve wracking at first for me to jump my cals up so much - it put in perspective how much of a deficit I was in during my cut as I didn't count cals at the time.

Good luck man!
    I'm at maintenance calories right now but plan on starting my first lean bulk this spring. Trust me man I'm ready, I'm not scared to up it, I'm tired of cutting/dieting...I'm ready for the mass!!

highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) highiso has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Cant tell u what to do bout the xtra skin but holy **** great job man!

dantheman5999 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey man you look great!!! and you made a life changing decision by losing the weight. You'll live longer and are now healthier. Take pride in that. Be patient and bulk. Wait a year or a year and a half before talking to a doc. Your skin might tighten up a bit. Patience is your best option at the moment.

Registered User anthonybolerjack's Avatar
    anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) anthonybolerjack has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    So I made a post awhile back concerning my body and the unsightly aftermath I am left with after losing 100 pounds. My bf % was guesttimated at 13-15% which sounded about right. I had a 7 point skinfold test done that yielded 10.6% and just recently a hydrostatic test performed that yielded 9.59%

Help me understand these numbers, why are they low? I showed the number to some friends and even they agreed they were surprised that my numbers were that low. Does that mean that this is indeed excess skin or what? Not trying to repeat myself here but I'd like some more insight since I had a more conclusive test performed (hydrostatic).

A little back story about myself, February of last year I was 269lbs, I got down to ~165 and since have gotten up to ~171, but I'm maintaining this weight and focusing on muscle mass. My overall goal is bulk but the skin has me concerned.

I attached some before and after pics for you guys.

Before:

Now:
    Forget bf% honestly man who really cares, weight and bf% is just a number and only matters on paper, I go by how I look, if I can see all my abs I dont care if I weight 900 lbs and have 90%bf, and its a whole nother ball park bf% when you have excess skin, you have to much, its not going to receed much if any, a body tuck is your best bet, as far as abs, youll be able to see them but im positive your lining is detached so it will never be tight snug, so youll probably need it stiched back to your abdominal wall to get the cut bodybuilding abs , bulking up will help fill it out. I went from 205-125 back to 195-225 and its not noticble anymore but like I said the amount you have, a body tuck is your best bet to get ride of it permently because its not just your waist, its your chest arms im guessing legs to, expensive and very painful prodecure but for me the excess skin was just as bad as being fat and harder because you work so hard to get it off and then your left with skin that cant be worked off. Good luck , great progress and hard work

Originally Posted by anthonybolerjack View Post
    Forget bf% honestly man who really cares, weight and bf% is just a number and only matters on paper, I go by how I look, if I can see all my abs I dont care if I weight 900 lbs and have 90%bf, and its a whole nother ball park bf% when you have excess skin, you have to much, its not going to receed much if any, a body tuck is your best bet, as far as abs, youll be able to see them but im positive your lining is detached so it will never be tight snug, so youll probably need it stiched back to your abdominal wall to get the cut bodybuilding abs , bulking up will help fill it out. I went from 205-125 back to 195-225 and its not noticble anymore but like I said the amount you have, a body tuck is your best bet to get ride of it permently because its not just your waist, its your chest arms im guessing legs to, expensive and very painful prodecure but for me the excess skin was just as bad as being fat and harder because you work so hard to get it off and then your left with skin that cant be worked off. Good luck , great progress and hard work
    The excess skin I have is in my chest and waist, no where else. I am very lean everywhere else. But looking back when I was fat, that is where I held most of my weight. I plan on starting a lean bulk and see how that goes. And I agree 100% the excess skin is just as hard and it sucks that it hinders all my hard work.

BTW...repping everyone in this thread, thanks for all the support and input.