Thread: Squat Issues

jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Squat Issues

Hello everyone. I've been having issues with my squat. I can barely do 125 pounds 5 reps 3 sets on my squats..... Though I can Deadlift 267.5 pounds 5 reps pretty well.. I'm not sure why my squat numbers are so low.. I squat as low as I can and it just feels so incredibly difficult to squat. I stopped squatting heavy a while ago and began squatting with the bar only to correct my form and increase flexibility, and it worked... though it feels as though as the weight gets heavier... my form starts to break apart again... this happens even with the measly 125 pounds I've been squatting lately.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix/ help my squat? My bench and deadlift are in proportion but my squat is insanely out of balance. I don't have chicken legs... they are in fact quite in proportion to my body, so I don't know what's going on. I've always had this problem with squats.
    I should also throw in that, I used to spend years playing on video games while slouching incredibly all day. Maybe that screwed up my posture for my body? I don't know... squats just feel completely unnatural to me.

Help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James

jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jdlucke2373 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Bump

hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10) hailmary is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    mmmh that is odd...my squat went up quite dramatically after i started to deadlift...what i can suggest (this did help me im not sure if it will for anyone else) i stacked weights on so much about 100-130- pounds more than i could squat on a rack. what i would do is lift that weight and hold it for 5-10 seconds in the same position i would squat. im not sure if i was a mental thing and i let my body feel the heavier weight the next few weeks my squat numbers shot up and the weight didn't even feel that heavy. I squat all the way down too ATG your form has to be perfect. those numbers don't look proportionate to me also. You can try this little trick that helped me but im not postive it will hlep you as it did for m.e

BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BDiamond is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jdlucke2373 View Post
    Hello everyone. I've been having issues with my squat. I can barely do 125 pounds 5 reps 3 sets on my squats..... Though I can Deadlift 267.5 pounds 5 reps pretty well.. I'm not sure why my squat numbers are so low.. I squat as low as I can and it just feels so incredibly difficult to squat. I stopped squatting heavy a while ago and began squatting with the bar only to correct my form and increase flexibility, and it worked... though it feels as though as the weight gets heavier... my form starts to break apart again... this happens even with the measly 125 pounds I've been squatting lately.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to fix/ help my squat? My bench and deadlift are in proportion but my squat is insanely out of balance. I don't have chicken legs... they are in fact quite in proportion to my body, so I don't know what's going on. I've always had this problem with squats.
    I should also throw in that, I used to spend years playing on video games while slouching incredibly all day. Maybe that screwed up my posture for my body? I don't know... squats just feel completely unnatural to me.

Help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    James
    Can you give us an idea of what your leg day looks like? Also are you logging your workouts to see how you're progressing?
    I make bad videos in my basement about training, which makes me an internet guru.
    http://www.youtube.com/basementbarbell

Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dolphski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by hailmary View Post
    mmmh that is odd...my squat went up quite dramatically after i started to deadlift...what i can suggest (this did help me im not sure if it will for anyone else) i stacked weights on so much about 100-130- pounds more than i could squat on a rack. what i would do is lift that weight and hold it for 5-10 seconds in the same position i would squat. im not sure if i was a mental thing and i let my body feel the heavier weight the next few weeks my squat numbers shot up and the weight didn't even feel that heavy. I squat all the way down too ATG your form has to be perfect. those numbers don't look proportionate to me also. You can try this little trick that helped me but im not postive it will hlep you as it did for m.e
    this, my squat is improving drastically after adding in some light running (very light) and deadlifts

pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) pezking7p has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It sounds like you're doing SS. It also sounds like you probably have a form issue with your squats, or possibly that you are reluctant to add weight because it feels hard, even though you don't actually fail any reps. Do you fail reps of squat? When you fail is it because you simply can't get a rep out or do you stop when you feel your form break down even though you think you probably could have ground the rep out?

In any case, it will be hard to say much without a video of you squatting. If you can provide a video we could get somewhere.
    Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153427731&page=1

FMH Crew Brit in Training

Originally Posted by BDiamond View Post
    Can you give us an idea of what your leg day looks like? Also are you logging your workouts to see how you're progressing?
    I'm doing Starting Strength, so my schedule for the past few weeks has been this:

tuesday, january 25, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 70 pounds
    military press 115 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    chin ups weighted 17.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

Thursday, january 27, 2011
    squats - taking time off perfecting form and flexibility with 75 pounds
    bench press 170 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 255 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

Friday, january 29,2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 80 pounds
    military press 117.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    chin ups weighted 20 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

Tuesday, febuary 1, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 85 pounds
    bench press 172.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 257.5 pounds 5 reps 1 full set

Thursday, febuary 3, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 90 pounds
    military press 120 pounds 5 reps 2 full sets
    chin ups weighted 22.5 pounds 5 reps 2 full sets, 3 reps on third set

Saturday, febuary 5, 2011 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 260 pounds 5 reps 1 full set
    bench press 175 pounds 5 reps 3 full set
    deadlift 260 pounds 5 reps 1 full set

tuesday, febuary 8, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 95 pounds
    Military press 120 pounds 5 reps 2 full sets 4 reps 3rd set
    chin ups weighted 227.5 pounds total 5 reps 2 full sets 3 reps 3rd set

thursday, febuary 10, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 100 pounds
    bench press 177.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 262.5 pounds 5 reps 1 full set

saturday, febuary 12, 2011
    Felt sleepy while working out, almost 7 hours of sleep only.
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 105 pounds
    military press 120 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    chin ups weighted 229-230 pounds total 5 reps 3 full sets

tuesday, febuary 14, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 110 pounds
    bench press 180 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 265 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

thursday, febuary 16, 2011
    squats - taking time off, perfecting form and flexibility with 115 pounds
    military press 122.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    chin ups weighted 232.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

saturday, febuary 19th, 2011
    squats - 120 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    bench press 182.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets
    deadlift 267.5 pounds 5 reps 3 full sets

Tuesday, febuary 22, 2011
    squats- 125 pounds 5 reps 2 full sets, barely.
    military press 125 pounds 5 reps 1st set, maybe 4-5 reps second, 4 reps 3rd
    chin ups weighted 235 pounds 5 reps 5 reps first set, 4 or 5 reps second, 3 or 4 reps 3rd..

I could NOT do Power Cleans properly at ALL, so I decided to focus on chin ups instead...

Originally Posted by pezking7p View Post
    It sounds like you're doing SS. It also sounds like you probably have a form issue with your squats, or possibly that you are reluctant to add weight because it feels hard, even though you don't actually fail any reps. Do you fail reps of squat? When you fail is it because you simply can't get a rep out or do you stop when you feel your form break down even though you think you probably could have ground the rep out?

In any case, it will be hard to say much without a video of you squatting. If you can provide a video we could get somewhere.
    I'll get a video of my squatting tomorrow, as that is when I will squat.
    I'd say I fail because I can't get a rep AND at the same time, my form begins to break down.

University of Abertay SportStudent's Avatar
    SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10) SportStudent is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thumbs up

Squats are awesome. They are one of the most daunting exercises you can do, because all that exercise is about is a whole heap of weight pushing you down, trying to ground you into the mat and make you crumple like some pathetic weakling.

I've just started lifting seriously (using GST), and although I started off hating, squats are my eagerly anticipated core exercise every Friday. I can see that my squats are improving already and I'm looking forward to breaking 200lbs+ well before the summer.

I do believe the appropriate phrase here is "Shut up and squat!"
    My Transformation Challenge Thread - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=131278943

01/01/11
    Bench Press - 141 lbs
    Seat Row - 187 lbs
    Deadlift - 180 lbs
    Squats - 147 lbs

25/07/11
    Bench Press - 164 lbs (+6 lbs)
    Seat Row - 253 lbs (+11 lbs)
    Deadlift - 291 lbs (+13 lbs)
    Squat - 193 lbs (+5 lbs)

Originally Posted by SportStudent View Post
    Squats are awesome. They are one of the most daunting exercises you can do, because all that exercise is about is a whole heap of weight pushing you down, trying to ground you into the mat and make you crumple like some pathetic weakling.

I've just started lifting seriously (using GST), and although I started off hating, squats are my eagerly anticipated core exercise every Friday. I can see that my squats are improving already and I'm looking forward to breaking 200lbs+ well before the summer.

I do believe the appropriate phrase here is "Shut up and squat!"
    I don't believe It's appropriate for this situation due to the fact that my squat is LOWER than my deadlift by more than 130 pounds! It wouldn't make a big difference if my deadlift was 700 pounds... but when It's below 300... I think it's a serious issue, or I wouldn't have posted it on here.

Edited to correct*
    Last edited by jdlucke2373; 02-24-2011 at 02:06 AM.

CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50) CamMcIntyre will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm guessing you're doing squats today...

When I can't get the full reps, I stick with the same weight for another workout. So, in your case for today's workout, do 3X5X125. Even if you only get 2X5X125 and 1X2X125, it's an improvement. The next workout, you'd do 3X5X125. If you get it, next workout would be either 130 or 127.5 (if you have the tiny plates). My current goal/plan is 3X10Xwhatever, and in order to increase weight the next workout, I have to at least get 2X10 + 1X8.

I increase weight very slowly in squats, and often have to repeat weights...like, I'm increasing slow enough that I'm considering picking up a pair of 1.25 pound plates.

Are you doing warm up sets? How about a general warm up? For me, I'm gradually learning that a 10ish minute general warm up on the exercise bike helps me out.

Here's an example of my warm up and squat workout for a day that I had a hard time getting comfortable in the rack:

10min general warm up on bike
    prisoner squats 1X5 (holding and checking my bottom position-toes, knees, depth)
    1X10X45 (bar)-double checking safety bar height, back angle, and just getting in the zone.
    1X10X145
    work sets w/245 (did 2X10 and 1X8).

If after the 145 set I didn't feel comfortable, I would have increased by either 50 or 70 pounds to see if that helped the issue.

So, the clif notes version: progress as slowly as you need, don't forget to eat, and warm up before hand.

seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I squat as low as I can and it just feels so incredibly difficult to squat. I stopped squatting heavy a while ago and began squatting with the bar only to correct my form and increase flexibility, and it worked... though it feels as though as the weight gets heavier... my form starts to break apart again...
    Here my advice, form is not a thing that you learn when your a newbie then forget about it (lol) its something that you need to keep thinking about through your whole lifting life but of course it become naturally over time.(in those 3 years ive been squating i have changed/improved my form at least 4 time)
    so keep working on those while adding weights = squat
    as for exercise i recommend lots of streching and face to the wall squat

you said that you worked on your form and flexibility then maybe the problem is the actual weight or maybe a mental barrier. "I squat as low as I can and it just feels so incredibly difficult to squat." Rome wasn't built in a day, progressive overload
    (my english is bad)
    bench-55,leg press-270,squat-120,deadlift--95

DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50) DJBrickman will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think your height may have something to do with it. I am 6' 10" and had a very hard time squatting do to the length of my legs and how far I actually had to push the weight using full ROM. You may be in a similar situation. My squat was pretty pathetic for a while as well (still is in my mind really). I just continued to concentrate on my form and only added weight that I could control and do without breaking that form. It has worked wonders for me. I was deadlifting and benching more than I could squat at one time. Just keep working at it. It will come. Do not worry as much about how much weight you are pushing but rather how well you are pushing that weight.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Don't worry yet. Your squat ability is low because you are training at a low weight. Keep practicing and adding weight to the bar. As time passes, your max will increase. If you add just 5 pounds to the bar each week, you will be squatting 225 by June.

MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50) MP525i will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i just finished reading the working out vs. training sticky. if i want to push forward in a particular movement, just keep doing it. 10-12 sets... overload the muscles until you're squatting just the bar and that bar feels like a million lbs.

or just dedicate a day to squats, lunges and hack squats.

good luck man.

-mike

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have you tried box squats?

Years of practicing on the john should make the movement natural. You unlock your knees, and get your butt back, back, to gently sit on a bench/box. Engages more hams and glutes. Feels natural unless you are a cyborg who never sat on a toilet.

One advantage is every rep is the same depth. No going shallow as the set progresses, like you see all the time.

Another advantage is that it is much kinder to knees.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hartwigken has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    Have you tried box squats?

Years of practicing on the john should make the movement natural. You unlock your knees, and get your butt back, back, to gently sit on a bench/box. Engages more hams and glutes. Feels natural unless you are a cyborg who never sat on a toilet.

One advantage is every rep is the same depth. No going shallow as the set progresses, like you see all the time.

Another advantage is that it is much kinder to knees.
    totally agree. box squats helped me and i used to have the same problem. maybe start just going a few inches below parallel and then each week go an inch further down with the same weight.

Okay, here are the videos of my squatting form.

Back View

Side View

Thanks,
    James

PS. Sorry it took so long to get the videos up.
    Last edited by jdlucke2373; 03-01-2011 at 01:34 AM.

seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10) seekay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    are you trolling ? if not stop doing squat right away and ask some1 to show you how to squat
    (my english is bad)
    bench-55,leg press-270,squat-120,deadlift--95

timse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Started to write what was wrong in those videos but gave up... I agree with previous poster.

Some fundamental things just in case:
    - keep heels on floor. If you cannot do that, start without weight, squatting so that heels stay on floor
    - squat back, not straight down... think you are sitting back to a chair... the bar does not travel much except in up-down axis
    - knees should travel to direction toes are pointing
    - knees should not get closer to each others when you start to get back up from bottom
    - keep same form down and up... at the moment you are doing a good morning at the way up.
    - don't be afraid to ask someone how to do them, though someone might offer help without asking in your case
    - at least half the weight

[edit] also you might want to show your deadlift video as well.
    Last edited by timse; 03-01-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Originally Posted by seekay View Post
    are you trolling ? if not stop doing squat right away and ask some1 to show you how to squat
    Nope to first question.
    Isn't that what I'm doing?
    Asking someone to help my squat?

James

Originally Posted by timse View Post
    Started to write what was wrong in those videos but gave up... I agree with previous poster.

- keep heels on floor. If you cannot do that, start without weight, squatting so that heels stay on floor
    - squat back, not straight down... think you are sitting back to a chair... the bar does not travel much except in up-down axis
    - knees should not get closer to each others when you start to get back up from bottom
    - keep same form down and up... at the moment you are doing a good morning at the way up.
    - don't be afraid to ask someone how to do them, though someone might offer help without asking in your case

[edit] also you might want to show your deadlift video as well.
    I'm doing deadlifts today, so I should have the video up in a few hours.

James

JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) JustinT24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I really try to help everyone...but man you can't be serious?

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Isn't that what I'm doing?
    Asking someone to help my squat?
    This guy gave you great help :

Originally Posted by timse View Post

Hurt my knees just looking at your vids.

Your knees going so far forward is a sign you are not engaging hams to squat. You seriously need to drop the weight, and do box squats, which should sort out most of your form issues.

If you insist on ordinary squats, I'd start you with the empty bar. You should practice with a broomstick/staff whenever you are near one.

Buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength Book. Best barbell instruction. Lots of instruction vids on youtube as well.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

Originally Posted by jgreystoke View Post
    This guy gave you great help :

Hurt my knees just looking at your vids.

Your knees going so far forward is a sign you are not engaging hams to squat. You seriously need to drop the weight, and do box squats, which should sort out most of your form issues.

If you insist on ordinary squats, I'd start you with the empty bar. You should practice with a broomstick/staff whenever you are near one.

Buy Rippetoe's Starting Strength Book. Best barbell instruction. Lots of instruction vids on youtube as well.
    The issue about keeping my knees back is that either my back rounds, or I fall over.
    I'd do box squats, but I have nothing to do them with... would an ordinary workout bench work?

I did squatting and deadlifting tonight.

My squat form check.

I felt one of the main issues with my squat is my groin muscles... they feel really weak, and its hard to keep them spread apart in squatting with any weight at all.

Deadlift Form, 272.5 pounds

James.

PS. My heels ARE on the floor, I'm actually pushing up WITH the heels in this video.

kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kinfolk321 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm by no means an expert, but your deadlift form looks pretty good to me.
    About your squat, it looks painful. As you are just learning the proper form, you should probably use a medium stance, feet about shoulder width apart, it might feels a bit more natural. Your stance right now is bit too wide. Also use high bar position might be easier to learn, which means the bar sits on the top of traps instead of what you are using now.
    And somebody already mentioned sit back, keep your heels on the ground, knees apart in the direction of toes.

The issue about keeping my knees back is that either my back rounds, or I fall over.
    The weight is too heavy for you to have decent form at your current level of strength. Use a weight you can handle before you injure yourself.

I'd do box squats, but I have nothing to do them with... would an ordinary workout bench work?
    Yes. That's what I use when I go to a commercial gym. Just drag a bench over to the squat rack.

Westside reinvented the box squat, and fully exploited the potential. Used to be popular in the early days, before it got a bad rap for supposedly compressing guys spines like a sledgehammer. That was only guys who sat heavily down on the bench with a weight they couldn't handle. They dropped straight down when they unlocked their knees. You are supposed to use a weight you can handle. You are supposed to sit BACK on the bench. You touch gently, nice and slow. You don't have to put your full weight on the bench.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

timse has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Deadlift looks fine... just try not to do the 'yank' when you start pulling. Also you are moving forwards at start of pull, you have to compensate that by squeezing hams/glutes.

Try to accelerate the bar on the way up instead of starting sudden fast movement: start with pressure on glutes, hams and quads, then add the pressure to back and a that point there is liftoff. Start to drive hip forwards and think that you accelerate bar's vertical movement on the way up, by crushing your feet through the gym floor (orly? yea rly! in the same way in bench you can think of pushing yourself away from bar that is going to kill ya).

You can think bending the bar and after that start the actual pulling. At that point you have good pressure in all key muscles and they support your back properly, and there is no sudden yank.

Lots of 'thinks' and brain trickery but they help with compound movements.

supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500) supmannn is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Deadlift looks pretty good, squat has too many things wrong to list here and not take forever to read. Seriously, get Starting Strength, read the squat chapter, and apply it. There's several things that are totally and obviously incorrect to anyone who has even skimmed through the squat chapter. Not trying to be an ass, just saying, get the book, it will help you so much.