Here I'll share with you what I've learned, in the past few months, when it comes to the proper time to take whey protein.
It's a personal report. It means that this has worked for me - maybe you can experience different results doing what I did, or better results doing it differently. Let's get to the point.
The best time to take Whey Protein, in my experience, is (in order of good to bad):
1) POST workout, right after the activity finishes;
2) PRE workout, 30 mins before hitting the gym;
3) As soon as wake up;
4) Before bed, night time.
Now, the math:
- If you can't afford much whey and made a sacrifice to buy your jar, use option 1.
- If you can spend a little more whey in your daily diet, use the combination of 1 and 2. This has made wonders for me when I first started taking whey. In one and a half months hitting the gym 5x week, I gained 3kg of lean mass and lost 1kg of fat. Bodyfat dropped from 14% to 8,9%. Before taking whey, I was afraid to get fat. Well, the numbers have proven me wrong. (No need to say, but I'll say it anyway: I did cardio also on a regular base. Not hard cardio, just something like 15mins treadmill daily was enough for this)
- If whey is not a budget issue for you, take as directed by numbers 1, 2 and 3. When you wake up, your body need nutrients. It's starving from the night slept. So, a fast acting protein like whey may be a good option. In my case, I have made this for just a while. I soon have noticed that taking a mix of fast/slow digesting protein in the morning was best for me. So, I changed and entire serving of whey for an entire Egg Albumen serving, with 1/4 serving of whey mixed with it. Also, after I started taking Casein at night, my body didn't wake up next morning starving as It did before.
- If you are a rich person (just kidding), take whey as described in numbers 1, 2, 3 and 4. Basically, all day long. I say this because the main idea is: there's not a BAD time to take whey. There's only a less better time. And this is number 4 - night time. When you go to sleep, your body will stay for 6-8 hours with no food intake. For this reason, you should take a slow digesting protein, like Casein. Casein will keep your body receiving protein for a long time. Whey, won't. After 1-2 hours, your protein delivery from whey will be over, and hunger begins. With hunger, a catabolic state begins, where your body (in simple words) starts to "eat itself", specially mucles. So, it's something to think about.
If you can't buy several types of protein, you can change casein for cottage cheese, and egg albumen for hardboiled egg whites.
Hope it helps!
Thread: Best Time to Take Whey Protein
02-22-2011, 07:43 PM #1
- Join Date: Feb 2011
- Location: Brazil
- Age: 31
- Stats: 5'8", 158 lbs
- Posts: 15
- Rep Power: 0
Best Time to Take Whey Protein
By kenlee6 in forum NutritionReplies: 1Last Post: 08-21-2009, 11:13 AM
By FromNYC in forum SupplementsReplies: 15Last Post: 01-12-2009, 03:19 PM
By getpumped00 in forum SupplementsReplies: 0Last Post: 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM
By SK1989 in forum Teen BodybuildingReplies: 13Last Post: 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
By marcoardeno in forum SupplementsReplies: 8Last Post: 01-27-2007, 07:23 PM