cben has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What happened to my shoulder, and what should I do in response?

Hi all,

About two weeks ago I was finishing an awesome shoulder/abs workout and got really ambitious with upright rows, for my final set decided to go really heavy and was watching my form in the mirror and noticed my right shoulder striations were popping out and the left shoulder was way too relaxed-looking during the final few reps but I just wanted to churn them out anyways, finally on my 9th-ish rep (set 3 or 4-final set) I felt an awful pinching pain in my shoulder. Having heard about the gravity of any shoulder-related pains I stopped the workout immediately and took a week off (the pinching pain subsided after about 2-4 minutes after I stopped workout out right after the pain in my right shoulder). Got back in on Sunday and did another shoulder/abs workout, did lots of lateral work (lateral DB raises, lateral cable raises, rear delt work) and decided to join my buddy on a couple sets of upright rows w/ a lighter weight. During the second set of light/medium weight I felt what I would describe as slight discomfort in my right shoulder (the same one that I had hurt about 2 weeks ago) and decided to chill on the upright rows. This morning I slipped in the bathroom which caused a jerking motion in my right arm to stabilize myself and noticed, again, a discomfort in the right shoulder.

What did I do to my shoulder? From my research on the forums it sounds like possible impingement, but as I have said the pain is not acute so should I just give my shoulder more time off? I have friends who have told me horrible stories about shoulder injuries and so far have had a largely injury-free gym experience since I began (which I would like to continue!).

Many thanks for any input!

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by cben View Post
    Hi all,

About two weeks ago I was finishing an awesome shoulder/abs workout and got really ambitious with upright rows, for my final set decided to go really heavy and was watching my form in the mirror and noticed my right shoulder striations were popping out and the left shoulder was way too relaxed-looking during the final few reps but I just wanted to churn them out anyways, finally on my 9th-ish rep (set 3 or 4-final set) I felt an awful pinching pain in my shoulder. Having heard about the gravity of any shoulder-related pains I stopped the workout immediately and took a week off (the pinching pain subsided after about 2-4 minutes after I stopped workout out right after the pain in my right shoulder). Got back in on Sunday and did another shoulder/abs workout, did lots of lateral work (lateral DB raises, lateral cable raises, rear delt work) and decided to join my buddy on a couple sets of upright rows w/ a lighter weight. During the second set of light/medium weight I felt what I would describe as slight discomfort in my right shoulder (the same one that I had hurt about 2 weeks ago) and decided to chill on the upright rows. This morning I slipped in the bathroom which caused a jerking motion in my right arm to stabilize myself and noticed, again, a discomfort in the right shoulder.

What did I do to my shoulder? From my research on the forums it sounds like possible impingement, but as I have said the pain is not acute so should I just give my shoulder more time off? I have friends who have told me horrible stories about shoulder injuries and so far have had a largely injury-free gym experience since I began (which I would like to continue!).

Many thanks for any input!
    Some degree of impingement sounds probable, given that you have no other complaints. Since it's not particularly bothersome at this point you can probably avoid going to a physician and give it a bit longer to see if it resolves on its own.

My suggestion is to not do upright rows. There are other exercises which are more than adequate substitutes (which it sounds like you are already doing). As far as I'm concerned, doing them is asking for trouble if you have _any_ predisposition to impingement related syndromes (e.g., hooked acromion).