jrlsail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Casein and Weight Loss

I've recently started a weight loss program on Jan 1, 2011. I'm 5' 11" 37 Male. I started at 28% and 229 and as of Saturday rang in at 200 at 22%. I've always had a bad reaction to food until I started the diet and cleaned up my diet to standards like eggs, stone ground wheat, chicken/pork, veggies, etc. Now, I have zero problems with food reactions.

As I've changed my diet, it's clear I need to increase my protein. I've purchased Hydro and Casein products to supplement and to help to minimize loss of muscle. I'm shooting for 190 and 18%.

I'm planning one whey drink during the day (split before/after workout) and one casein after dinner. Still keeping my calories to ~1600 a day.

Questions:

1) will the late night calories from casein cause a negative affect?
    2) will my body convert it to fat during the night?
    3) is it appropriate to take it with dinner or wait?
    4) and how much protein is needed to minimize muscle breakdown daily for someone of my size?
    5) any other recommendations around the use of protein?

Thank you!

Oh, and my supplements are:

Omni-men
    Omega-3s
    Vita C supp
    Align
    ON Hydrowhey
    ON Casein

Registered User robpatterson666's Avatar
    robpatterson666 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by jrlsail View Post
    I've recently started a weight loss program on Jan 1, 2011. I'm 5' 11" 37 Male. I started at 28% and 229 and as of Saturday rang in at 200 at 22%. I've always had a bad reaction to food until I started the diet and cleaned up my diet to standards like eggs, stone ground wheat, chicken/pork, veggies, etc. Now, I have zero problems with food reactions.

As I've changed my diet, it's clear I need to increase my protein. I've purchased Hydro and Casein products to supplement and to help to minimize loss of muscle. I'm shooting for 190 and 18%.

I'm planning one whey drink during the day (split before/after workout) and one casein after dinner. Still keeping my calories to ~1600 a day.

Questions:

4) and how much protein is needed to minimize muscle breakdown daily for someone of my size?

Thank you!

Omni-men
    Omega-3s
    Vita C supp
    Align
    ON Hydrowhey
    ON Casein

I would think with calories that low, you shouldnt worry about it turning into fat..

NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Questions:

Thank you!

Omni-men
    Omega-3s
    Vita C supp
    Align
    ON Hydrowhey
    ON Casein
    1) No
    2) No
    3) Drink it just before bed unless you are doing IF, then drink it with you last meal.
    4) Someone of your size should shoot for a minimum of 225g a day.
    5) No
    6)1600 calories is way to low. If you dont believe me. In 1-2 months when you stall let me know how eating 1300 but still getting your macros met feels. You should be eating around 2100 to lose about 1.5 pounds a week, if you are training right.
    6a) 18% body fat and you are still FAT. Set a better goal of 12-14.
    The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness.

IIFYM!!
    IF!!!
    OH YEAH!!

I will do today what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

jrlsail has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fat at 18 is right. Let me clarify, I'm in a program measuring bf, waste, weight the ends March 31. My goal is 18 for that date at 190. My target for 2011 is 14% which additional emphasis on muscular endurance so I can complete the advanced bootcamp classes my wife does.

NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50) NotHereOrThere will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Fat at 18 is right. Let me clarify, I'm in a program measuring bf, waste, weight the ends March 31. My goal is 18 for that date at 190. My target for 2011 is 14% which additional emphasis on muscular endurance so I can complete the advanced bootcamp classes my wife does.
    Ok! GOOD GOAL THEN!

Good luck buddy.
    The usefulness of a cup is in its emptiness.

IIFYM!!
    IF!!!
    OH YEAH!!

I will do today what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't.

StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100) StephSequeira is not very well liked. (-100)

Questions:

Thank you!

Omni-men
    Omega-3s
    Vita C supp
    Align
    ON Hydrowhey
    ON Casein
    1) No, casein will actually keep your metabolism running through the night. Casein is a slow digestive protein!
    2) Nope! If your metabolism keeps on running, you will actually loose fat
    3) I would take it as your last meal of the day, like 20-30 minutes before going to bed
    4) 200-230g
    5) You want to spread it out throughout the day
    Stephanie Sequeira
    "Don't force your self a quotidian lifestyle in fear of failure"
    IG @StephSequeiraFit
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHCqeUokNbQN_RqKWGRVSbw

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by StephSequeira View Post
    1) No, casein will actually keep your metabolism running through the night. Casein is a slow digestive protein!
    2) Nope! If your metabolism keeps on running, you will actually loose fat
    3) I would take it as your last meal of the day, like 20-30 minutes before going to bed
    4) 200-230g
    5) You want to spread it out throughout the day
    Strong necro thread bump