Thread: Quad Isolation

Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Quad Isolation

After a leg workout, I usually only feel like I really hit my hams, glutes, and calves. I try to go heavy on the leg extensions at the end of my workout to target my quads specifically, but they don't seem to be growing.

Leg workout generally consists of: squats, deads, smith machine lunges, hack squats, standing calf raises, leg press, leg extension. I'll throw in step-ups from time to time as well.

Any tips on how to better isolate the quads?

powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000) powerbarsssssss is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squats - perhaps, you would benefit from partial rep squats.
    Lunges- when I want to hit my quads during lunges, I don't step out very far.
    Leg press - adjust the width of your feet and sometimes substitute it with hack squats
    Front squats would also likely help you.

freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) freebirdmac is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    How long have you been at it, what kind of weights are you lifting, are you progressing, and what is your diet like?

Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mo0ch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by powerbarsssssss View Post
    Squats - perhaps, you would benefit from partial rep squats.
    Lunges- when I want to hit my quads during lunges, I don't step out very far.
    Leg press - adjust the width of your feet and sometimes substitute it with hack squats
    Thanks! Will definitely give the partial rep squats and adjusting foot position a try. I've always been a bit weary of front squats though...

freebirdmac, I've been lifting seriously for a couple of years now. Definitely been making progress. Lifting heavy, eating big...I just seem to have hit a plateau with the quads lately.

thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) thehobbes has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by powerbarsssssss View Post
    ^^^Yeah, try front or Zerchers. I've been doing Zercher squats for a couple months and holy crap do those hit the quads hard!
    Current PRs:
    Bench Press: 200x1
    Deads: 315x1
    Back Squats: 275x1

*Team Amazon* - Sisterhood of Iron
    *Log - There's a Ham in the Power Rack, Part II http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167311531

Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aurora has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Sometimes the issue is simply that an individual has a higher recruitment threshold in certain muscle groups. And other times it could be a mind muscle connection, such as just because you do not feel it does not mean it isn't working.

Leg extensions will not make your quads grow significantly so do not rely on those, you want more compound, natural movements like squats. Squats ass to grass, and the leg press with your feet lower on the platform will isolate quads. Hack squat with your feet together, or bulgarian split squats will also isolate the quads. If it is a situation with a higher threshold as mentioned above, just do more total sets of the basics. Sometimes if you pre-fatigue the glute/hams you can isolate the quads more too.
    "Theia yielded to Hyperion's love and gave birth
    to great Helios and bright Selene and Eos,
    who brings light to all the mortals of this earth
    and to the immortal gods who rule the wide sky."
    (Hesiod, Theogony, 371-74)

I'll give Zerchers a try...never done those before.

Thanks, Aurora. It might be a recruitment issue. Hopefully some of these changes will wake up my quads! Going to revamp my leg routine and hit them hard on Thursday!