Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'11", 172 lbs
    Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Playmaker95 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Visit Playmaker95's BodySpace

How much is too much volume?

How can I tell if my workouts are overtraining? Or what if they are not enough? I also feel that if I'm not sore the day after it wasn't good enough. This is my bicep workout:
    Cable curls 3x10
    I do 3 chinups between the sets
    Barbell curls 3x10 with the chinups btwn
    Then I do a superset where I hold a dumbell in each hand an hold it 90 degrees then curl 10 times. The superset involves 3 sets in one.
    I finish it off with decline curls 3x10

Looking at this, seems like a lot but I use low weights and I don't struggle with my last reps.

Stats: 6'0", 209 lbs
    Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) Farley1324 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit Farley1324's BodySpace
    It's too much when you cannot recover from it in a sufficiently short period of time.

Originally Posted by Playmaker95 View Post
    I also feel that if I'm not sore the day after it wasn't good enough.
    Stop doing this.
    Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.

Rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others.

MFC

Stats: 6'0", 195 lbs
    -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) -Michelangelo- is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Visit -Michelangelo-'s BodySpace
    Originally Posted by Playmaker95 View Post
    How can I tell if my workouts are overtraining? Or what if they are not enough? I also feel that if I'm not sore the day after it wasn't good enough. This is my bicep workout:
    Cable curls 3x10
    I do 3 chinups between the sets
    Barbell curls 3x10 with the chinups btwn
    Then I do a superset where I hold a dumbell in each hand an hold it 90 degrees then curl 10 times. The superset involves 3 sets in one.
    I finish it off with decline curls 3x10

Looking at this, seems like a lot but I use low weights and I don't struggle with my last reps.
    Hey bro how goes it? well you've got a few issues that I can see and that can easily be corrected in order to help you gauge your volume level. First know that everybody is different. While guidelines are good for beginning, ultimately I believe in the individuality of bodybuilding. Volume for some can be 3 sets a week. Volume for others need to be three times that.

It looks like you're lifting primarily for size and secondarily for strength. It is important to know that strength and size are related but not as much as people think. They require two totally different approaches. Your first mistake is that you are not lifting heavy enough which is preventing you from reaching a point of failure at 10 reps. This is not good. It shouldn't take you more than 6 sets at 10reps to effectively work your biceps. And this is why you are confused as to how much volume you should be doing. If you keep lifting light you could essentially work your biceps EVERYDAY which is also not good. Lift Heavy.

Secondly, gauging your workout by how sore you are the day after is something that takes experience and is not entirely accurate, however, I do believe everyone has different recovery capabilities and soreness is one indicator. If you lift heavy enough you'll have to scale back the daily volume while increasing your intensity overall.

cszczurowski is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good advice from Michaelangelo there .

It is by its very nature an individual sport . Nobody is lifting the weights for you after all ....... Sometimes its hard getting good info because everyone is different . Make sure while you are learning you write down everything you do so you can reflect on it at a later day . Store in on an excel websheet for example. You can look back in three months and see what has worked and what didnt .

Lift heavy . If you want to get in any kind of shape diet is the most important thing along with rest . You spend probably 3-5% of your week working out . Its what you do in the other time that has a much bigger effect (assuming your workout is sound of course).