Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Introduction to Jumping Rope

A huge myth surrounding body building is that there is no need to do cardiovascular exercise. One of the first things that may shock someone when they begin to read articles and forum threads on bodybuilding.com is that most all of those who have managed to get a muscular, yet cut, look have incorporated some form of cardio into their routine.

For me, like many others, the key to having good, intense, cardio sessions is variety and being able to partake in an exercise that is somewhat enjoyable while still giving you the burn and feeling of accomplishment when finished. I never was one who got much out of treadmills, jogging, or elliptical machines. I used to hover around the rowing machine and stair-climber, but in time those too grew old and stagnant. It wasn't long before my search for the perfect exercise was over, and I began to jump rope. Three years, and many hours later, I felt like it would be beneficial to several people if I shared the secrets of how to learn to jump, keep up intensity, and become proficient at jumping for long periods of time.

Before I delve into the details of jumping, it is important to get a quality rope that is trimmed to the proper length (directions should be on the packaging). I prefer plastic speed ropes, and avoid leather ropes. Weighted ropes will definitely increase the intensity of your sessions, but are not recommended for beginners. With that said, let's get to the fun stuff.

First, jumping rope is a great exercise and works your whole body. Many of the initial difficulties when learning revolve around your body burning in places you didn't even knew existed. Taking things slow is the key to building your stamina... you will not be able to jump rope for 30-45 min straight right off. Start with only sessions of 10 minutes and force yourself to finish the 10 minutes. Gradually add time as you get better.

Why force yourself to finish? Well, aside from the burn, your patience will be tested and you will probably get incredibly frustrated. Don't worry though, everyone has to start somewhere and learning takes time. If you are concerned with how uncoordinated you look, find a secluded spot in the gym or in your yard (drive ways or high ceiling garages work well). Some gyms may not like you skipping rope on wood floors (e.g. basketball courts) so it's best to ask the staff where an appropriate place to exercise is.

With your temper in check and a good location found, you can begin to jump like there is no tomorrow. Start by placing your feet together and just trying to learn how to find a rhythm while teaching your body to be coordinated for this particular set of movements. Go slow. You will get tired regardless, but that's why you wanted to jump rope in the first place, right?

Once you've mastered, or at least are confident, with the basic movements, try hoping on one foot and alternating. The key to not getting bored is changing it up constantly. Alternate step patterns, speeds, height, etc... After a few weeks you'll be changing things without even thinking about it. Music can help too. Find music with a good beat and try to keep up. Each song has a different tempo and the variety can give you the mental edge to break the thirty minute mark.

If you get really ambitious there are other "moves" you can try. They include the cross-over (crossing your arms over your chest while not breaking your rhyme - for a more difficult variety try to keep your arms crossed and jump multiple times in the loop you created before returning them to their original position), double under (skipping the rope twice underneath one jump), and more difficult foot movements.

Over time you'll fall in love with this exercise. There are plenty of unspoken benefits to jumping rope, not to mention you can do it any where anytime (a rope fits easily into luggage and can help keep you fit on road trips). Besides being a great way to burn off fat, you'll see the benefits in other parts of your life as well, from improving your vertical jump (hello dunking!) to increased stamina in other activities. Enjoy!

Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Zipsfb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm thinking about writing an intermediate guide to jumping rope, but wanted to see if anyone would actually read it. Is it worth the time?

Take Their Flag displacement421's Avatar
    displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50) displacement421 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Definitely write an intermediate article, I'd be interested to read it.

Mind over Muscle Leyton Stone_old's Avatar
    Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Leyton Stone_old is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Go for it. Use pics/YouTube videos as well.

federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    good thread

apollocreed1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm glad to find a thread about jump rope, I see very few people doing it especially bodybuilders, almost as if this cardio exercise doesnt exist. I suppose people can't be bothered to learn it, seeing that it can be quite frustrating at times. But once you do you start to love it like the OP said.

I'd be quite interested in reading your intermediate article.

How long do you go jumping without stopping, I normally do around 1 min then rest very little and start again is this fine?

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    It's a fantastic form of cardio and it's quite challenging to get good at it. Go to youtube and type in mayweather jumprope if you wanna see a kick ass routine. That's what inspired me to get started. I'm pretty close to that good now... although I cant cross uncross cross uncross back and forth like he does. I don't agree with some of the OP's ideas though. I don't think leather ropes should be dismissed that quickly. I've tried tons of ropes and leather was actually my favorite type for cardio. I've even made a few ropes and leather is still on top in my opinion. the one problem I have with leather is that it will bind if you do complicated tricks (which is why I cannot cross and uncross multiple times lol)

But good post!
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142412021

Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000) Vigilante_Inc is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by apollocreed1 View Post
    I'm glad to find a thread about jump rope, I see very few people doing it especially bodybuilders, almost as if this cardio exercise doesnt exist. I suppose people can't be bothered to learn it, seeing that it can be quite frustrating at times. But once you do you start to love it like the OP said.

I'd be quite interested in reading your intermediate article.

How long do you go jumping without stopping, I normally do around 1 min then rest very little and start again is this fine?
    I would go on a 3:1 jumping to rest ratio. If you're a beginner maybe 2:1
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA

Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Galmo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    by sessions of 10 minutes do you mean a straight 10 minutes of jump rope then a break? **** i cant even do 3 minutes of solid jump rope

how long does it take to get use to it??

i feel like im incapable to jump rope

I don't think he meant 10 minutes straight because I know amatuer boxers who have a hard time with ten minutes straight at a high pace lol. Honestly with me it was one of those things that just clicked. I mean one day I sucked... the next day I was like oh **** look what I can do. My recommendation for learning is to do it in a quiet place but on a surface that makes a noise so you can hear the rythm better. You'll learn the steps easier that way
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA

beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) beastisized has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    thanks
    I am not a musclebuilder, I am a bodybuilder!

iroc1185 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Vigilante_Inc View Post
    I would go on a 3:1 jumping to rest ratio. If you're a beginner maybe 2:1
    I and a total beliver in jumping rope if you want to be in shape. I am an amature boxer and used to just run. I started about a month ago jumping rope, and my endurance in the ring has shot through the roof. I started doing just regular jumping rope, and none of the fancy stuff. My routines at the begin and end with 5mins of low intensity jumping rope and in between those 5-2:1 min ratio rounds. every week i increased. it works really well.
    One month later: 10 min begin and end and 8-3:1. its a long work out, but i am in great boxing shape and almost never get winded in the ring anymore.

Originally Posted by iroc1185 View Post
    I and a total beliver in jumping rope if you want to be in shape. I am an amature boxer and used to just run. I started about a month ago jumping rope, and my endurance in the ring has shot through the roof. I started doing just regular jumping rope, and none of the fancy stuff. My routines at the begin and end with 5mins of low intensity jumping rope and in between those 5-2:1 min ratio rounds. every week i increased. it works really well.
    One month later: 10 min begin and end and 8-3:1. its a long work out, but i am in great boxing shape and almost never get winded in the ring anymore.
    Yeah it's defiantly helped me with my endurance overall. And my poor ankle stability. I used to roll my ankles all of the time but they are so much stronger now. Also once you get really good at it you can draw crowds at the gym lol. I get a lot of looks when I start linking doubles to crossovers
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA

WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500) WeltDog is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up

Great post man! I have started jumping rope everday recently and doing calf exercises 3 times a week....I am working on my vert, I am a junior, about 5'10, and can barely touch the rim....in about 10 months time my goal is to be able to dunk it, preferrably two handed and jumprope is the shizzz!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----"I do it because I can, I can because I want to, I want to because you said I couldn't"-----
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oigo72 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    reps man this is awesome i am diggin it

The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000) The_Reaper is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I love to jump rope.

I've gone through about 5 skipping ropes - they all end up getting worn apart and finally snapping.

So, I need to go buy another one now.

Warning: do not skip on concrete or very hard surfaces.
    I f*cked myself up doing this.
    You need a surface with a bit of spring, to ease the shock-waves. So a wooden floor is better.

Wow! A lot of replies... it's awesome to see some interest in this article.

To answer some points and questions above...

First, leather ropes are good for some people. When I get to writing the intermediate article they will be discussed in more detail. The main point with sticking to plastic ropes was that for a beginner it will be less frustrating. I feel like leather ropes are a much better work out, but mainly because they're harder to keep spinning. The biggest thing for a beginner to remember is that it takes patience and persistence to get good at jumping rope.

Secondly, some people asked how much time is good. Some say going 2 on and 1 off... it is all up to you. I usually go 30-40 minutes, never stopping (unless there is a mistake, which I get going right away). I alternate between fast and moderate pace, depending on what song is playing on my iPod. I include a lot of tricks and foot work into my jumping, which keeps me from making too many mistakes (one every 3-4 minutes). Go a pace which pushes you but that you feel comfortable with.

Finally, I agree with the point that jumping on hard surfaces can be rough... I prefer wood floors, but have been asked to stop due to damage on the floor over time. I guess when they agreed to let me jump there they didn't think I would be going so long so often. Anyway, now I'm banished to a carpeted section of my gym, which complicates things (carpet messes with your rope speed). I must say, jumping on carpet has really improved my coordination, since every skip has to be just right.

I hope this helps address a few issues presented above. I'll try to get to that intermediate article soon! Thanks!

I learned how to jump on carpet and got very proficient... So the first time i junped on a basketball court my speed was insane. Looked like a whole new exercise all of a sudden. I leanred how to do doubles shortly after and that really up the ante on difficulty. Faster arm speed and more weight displacement. Not to mention how badass it looks to link about 20 of them in a row. People take notice.
    THE AWARE
    Indiana, USA

beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10) beby24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good thread

I was actually looking at these today and found this thread, they are helpful
    http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Jump
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50) barbarian1543 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Very good info here, looking forward to the next article

Ozisaxon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nice thread. Plenty of good stuff in here.

About the flooring, I have been thinking of incorporating some Rope Work into my plan. But I am wondering, if I start skipping on a thin padded matt, say around 5cm/2" thick, do you think that would improve the overall cardio?
    It would negate the Floor getting whacked and require a bigger push off to get the feet of the matt.

I was doing a sequence where I would skip for 90s then alternate to a body weight exercise for 90s and back again. Always alternating the body part being exercised and finally finishing with Burpees. I found that to be awesome, but I really wonder if the Skipping should have been increased over the weeks to further increase Cardio.

What do you think?
    Ruthless & Relentless
    http://ruthlessandrelentless.blogspot.com/

Nothing is too much
    Nowhere is too far
    Never give up

Originally Posted by Ozisaxon View Post
    Nice thread. Plenty of good stuff in here.

About the flooring, I have been thinking of incorporating some Rope Work into my plan. But I am wondering, if I start skipping on a thin padded matt, say around 5cm/2" thick, do you think that would improve the overall cardio?
    It would negate the Floor getting whacked and require a bigger push off to get the feet of the matt.

I was doing a sequence where I would skip for 90s then alternate to a body weight exercise for 90s and back again. Always alternating the body part being exercised and finally finishing with Burpees. I found that to be awesome, but I really wonder if the Skipping should have been increased over the weeks to further increase Cardio.

What do you think?
    Depending on the type of mat, and how much cushion it provides, it could really make your rope work more difficult. In my experience rubber mats are harder than wood flooring or concrete, but not as hard as carpet (regardless of thickness). I do think rubber mats will help with reducing the impact of jumping on your joints, which will be helpful in the long run. Another option is to try more advanced ropes, like a weighted rope or a leather rope, which require more effort to spin.

To address your second paragraph, I think it certainly is beneficial to increase your jumping if you feel like it is becoming stagnant. You can do this by either increasing your intensity or actual time you spend jumping. Hope this helps.

Ozisaxon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Sure man, thanks.

Just wish the snow would blow over now
    Ruthless & Relentless
    http://ruthlessandrelentless.blogspot.com/

Nothing is too much
    Nowhere is too far
    Never give up

master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) master3bs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This article inspired a blog entry.
    http://blog.bodybuilding.com/master3bs

kellyweights has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome thread, jump roping is a great work out technique.

in a world built on rules iDrive's Avatar
    iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iDrive is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Great Thread.

I also started jumping because I hated the monotony of riding a stationary bike, treadmill and the elliptical. It's addicting to me now to see how far I can push myself and what new things I can teach myself it became the part of my workout I looked forward to most. I can play games with it (10 or 20 jumps and a cross or double jump) or incorporate body weight exercises with it (push ups, crunches).

I would definitely be interested in an intermediate article.
    You don't try to build a wall.
    You don't set out to build a wall.
    You don't say, "I'm going to build the biggest, baddest, greatest wall that's ever been built!".
    You don't start there.

You say, "I'm going to lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid.".
    You do that every single day, and soon you'll have a wall.

HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) HeLiu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL i read 10 mins and i thought u meant 10 mins without a break. the longest ive ever dished out was alomst 5 mins without a break.
    once you wrestled, everything else in life is easy
    -DAN GABLE

redproject has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redproject has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

First I have to say I think its awesome you started this thread I've been wanting to jump rope for some time now. I am 5 10 so is there a certain length that the rope should be. I wish more threads were like this one. Its seems a lot of them now are just heated arguments about very trivial statements.

I'm glad you all are getting something out of it... this article basically sat for six months, with no replies, and it's encouraging to see some interest. Thanks!

Originally Posted by redproject View Post
    First I have to say I think its awesome you started this thread I've been wanting to jump rope for some time now. I am 5 10 so is there a certain length that the rope should be. I wish more threads were like this one. Its seems a lot of them now are just heated arguments about very trivial statements.
    It really depends on how you jump rope... I usually trim my ropes by standing on the rope and pulling the handles up to each side of my body. Usually my rope length allows the trimmed rope's handles to reach my chest. Like I said, this is all preference, and there will be directions in the rope's packaging when you buy it. I would test out some lengths before you cut it for good, since you probably don't want to buy a new one. A simple suggestion is to not cut off too much... since you can always trim more, but you ruin a rope if you trim too much.

I'll be writing the intermediate article next week, so stay tuned!

dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50) dirkwright will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I started jumping a few months ago. I'm still piss poor at it. I don't last more than about 5 minutes (I haven't timed it). I just go until my HR hits 160 or I'm out of breath. I do 2 or 3 sets almost every day. I have a beaded rope I got from here:
    http://www.jumprope.com/
    (duh...)
    I got an extra long one because I'm tall.
    Bodybuilders are the only people I know who will consume the worst tasting stuff because they know "it's good for them"...