modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to cut without losing muscle

Ok so this will be my first time cutting, i've always just tried to add lean muscle but this time I went for the bulking. I'm up at about 190 lbs and I want to cut to about 180 or so to really get some definition for the summer. What is the best way to do this without losing my hard earned muscle?

jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) jwheeler2542 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by modrummer View Post
    Ok so this will be my first time cutting, i've always just tried to add lean muscle but this time I went for the bulking. I'm up at about 190 lbs and I want to cut to about 180 or so to really get some definition for the summer. What is the best way to do this without losing my hard earned muscle?
    lol very carefully! :P no but really just figure out what your maintenance caloric requirement is and then cut out about 500 calories from carbs off of that and continue to work the way you do now.
    "Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." -Bruce Lee
    "Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation" -Bruce Lee
    "Do or do not, there is no try" -Master Yoda
    "There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level". -Bruce Lee

R.I.P Larry "Dad" Wheeler November 24, 1942 - December 8, 2008

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Reduce calories slightly and gradually. First do several weeks at maintenance (hardening phase or pre-cut)

Make sure to maintain ALL your lifts. If can't immediately increase calories. Don't look for fast fat loss. Do things slowly.

Reduce volume and frequency, but NOT weight on the bar.

Do not increase reps.

BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000) BruceBruce325 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    check out the articles on the site theres a lot of good info

Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Jax05 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kusok View Post
    Reduce calories slightly and gradually. First do several weeks at maintenance (hardening phase or pre-cut)

Make sure to maintain ALL your lifts. If can't immediately increase calories. Don't look for fast fat loss. Do things slowly.

Do not increase reps.
    Pretty much this.

You want to keep the weight on the bar so you give your body a reason not to lose muscle.
    Also, if you're not already, throw in some cardio in the morning as well as HIIT/Circuits once or twice a week

whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000) whiteboyy09 is just really nice. (+1000)
    ec stack, ephedrine is muscle sparing

jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jgreystoke has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Do not increase reps.
    Great advice.

Should be engraved on every gym mirror.

Can't hold onto muscle if you let yourself get weak.
    Beginners:

FIERCE 5:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

Beyond novice, 5 3 1 or see above:)

Unless it is obvious to anyone who isn't blind that you lift weights, you might still benefit from a little more attention to big basic barbell exercises for enough reps:).

modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) modrummer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take it to heart. Man I love this website...

cszczurowski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I did HIIT everytime i went to the gym for three months and dropped 17lbs with no change to diet , lifting , sleep or anything .

Couple this with a positive change in diet and you'll be laughing.

Originally Posted by cszczurowski View Post
    I did HIIT everytime i went to the gym for three months and dropped 17lbs with no change to diet , lifting , sleep or anything .

Couple this with a positive change in diet and you'll be laughing.
    So do you do HIIT on the treadmill/eliptical?

Also, as far as lowering my calorie intake, do I also lower the amount of protein I'm getting (about 190grams a day)? I'm assuming not, but just thought I'd check.

Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50) Twstd will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So do you do HIIT on the treadmill/eliptical?

Also, as far as lowering my calorie intake, do I also lower the amount of protein I'm getting (about 190grams a day)? I'm assuming not, but just thought I'd check.
    You want more protein on a cut then when you are bulking. Protein powder is your friend.
    Never underestimate daily, consistent action coupled with the magical power of time.

TEEN SECTION: The uneducated trying to educate the uneducated.

kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kjboltzer88 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Talking

lift heavy and take a multi

stockm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    drink a lot of water, take fish oil, and try to only eat complex carbs

Registered User truegreatness73's Avatar
    truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10) truegreatness73 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    lift heavy and have a very low carb diet along with cardio and high protein

that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50) that1otherguy will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Exclamation GIF files

Originally Posted by Twstd View Post
    You want more protein on a cut then when you are bulking. Protein powder is your friend.
    Off topic but do any of you know how to add GIF files to your signature?
    @ 5'8 180 plan on competing in junior division (23yrs old) this year & making it official
    Squat 280 5x (work in progress) Deadlift-HAHAHAHAH
    Bench 330 4x vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqX6DY70CQw&feature=g-user-u
    close grip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfUu0HN-xiE&feature=channel&list=UL

One other stupid question, should I stay on creatine while cutting?

kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50) kdogg3270 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    One other stupid question, should I stay on creatine while cutting?
    creatine draws water into your muscles and also increases your ability to lift heavy, so yes IMO.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by stockm View Post
    take fish oil, and try to only eat complex carbs
    why?

everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50) everphilski will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I did the following, dropped 20 lbs from Christmas to Feb 28th. (shooting for another 10 in March and the first week of April)

- dropped calories some, kept protein over 1g/lb lbm.
    - EC stack (will reduce appetite, muscle sparing, some thermogenic effect. Mostly for the first two)
    - added some cardio
    - Reduced number of sets to 2/3 (so 2 sets instead of 3, 3 instead of 5 etc) at same weight and reps.
    - Refeed on Fridays (a big dinner/big breakfast Saturday morning)

This has worked well for me; I've dropped 20lbs since Christmas. Shooting for another 10 in March/early April.

I should add, my lifts have remained the same (deadlift / OHP / bench) except for squat, I've lost about 8% of the total weight... I could rep them out if I had to at full weight but my form was getting real weak on the last few reps, figured better safe than sorry.
    I LIFT THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cpojkILO0

Viral Haemorrhagic Fever Thalieos's Avatar
    Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by truegreatness73 View Post
    lift heavy and have a very low carb diet along with cardio and high protein
    Lift heavy, KEEP EATING CARBS, and consume high amounts of protein. You need carbs, you want carbs, your body may start scavenging muscle for glucose if you cut out your carbs. Change what carbs you eat and when you eat them if necessary. Complex carbohydrates earlier in the day.

-T
    “In nothing do men approach so nearly to the Gods, as in giving health to men.” -Cicero

I am a disciple of anatomy and physiology, nutrition, pharmacology, facts...

235lbs./25% BF 2009 -to- 184lbs./13% BF 2010
    Adding lean muscle, shooting for 200lbs/12% in 2011

dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dethbee has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've read a few articles on this cite about carb-cycling...is this a bunch of junk in terms of lowering BF without loosing muscle? Or does this type of plan have some legitimacy over just straight caloric decrease?

Thought I would ask the question on a cutting thread =D

Originally Posted by Thalieos View Post
    your body may start scavenging muscle for glucose if you cut out your carbs...

...Complex carbohydrates earlier in the day.
    not sure about those...

Viral Haemorrhagic Fever Thalieos's Avatar
    Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50) Thalieos will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    not sure about those...
    Not sure about what they are?

-T
    “In nothing do men approach so nearly to the Gods, as in giving health to men.” -Cicero

I am a disciple of anatomy and physiology, nutrition, pharmacology, facts...

235lbs./25% BF 2009 -to- 184lbs./13% BF 2010
    Adding lean muscle, shooting for 200lbs/12% in 2011

Originally Posted by Thalieos View Post
    Not sure about what they are?

-T

haha, no, just not sure if you're serious or not