Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Dumbbell flys on the ground

Would lying down on the ground with dumbbells in each hand and doing flys be just as effective as doing them lying down on a bench? I have a shoulder problem, well its mostly healed but only bothers me when there is a range of motion behind my body.
    Doing this would prevent the weight from doing just that...which is why i ask.
    My bench is really not going up at all, i am kinda frustrated, everything else is moving up steadily (bulking) and i am doing everything i can in an abundance in hopes to get it up, a modified cable crossover, dips, and a lot of other tricep exercises like barbell lying tricep extensions, overhead cable press, cable push downs, and some others to build up triceps. I am dominant with back and leg exercises and chest is my weak point, bench has only gone up 10 lbs, from 135 to 145 in 6 weeks, i use the 4-6 rep range, but was doing 8-10 for a little with a lighter weight to change things up.
    I have read countless articles on proper bench form, watched videos and even use a really light weight to mimic exactly that and am trying as hard as i can.
    Does everyone have a slow building muscle group or weakness? Maybe im overthinking, not expecting huge gains or miracles though.
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Basically yeah just that you can't get the same stretch, though not everyone stretches that far. There might be a difference in stability because you can't have your hips extended and knees flexed so the hips are below you and gripping the bench to avoid rotational stability, some might like that hip drive though it probably doesn't matter a big deal.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    Would lying down on the ground with dumbbells in each hand and doing flys be just as effective as doing them lying down on a bench?
    Absolutely not.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

Super Saiyan Genetics genetics 83's Avatar
    genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) genetics 83 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Absolutely not.
    i agree with zoran
    ██ █ ★ █ ██ CVC ██ █ ★ █ ██
    US Army '04-07 OIF III
    Saiyan Crew
    F-Body Crew
    Texas Crew
    Over 30 crew

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried doing flyes on the floor when I couldn't go to the gym. They suck. You don't get enough stretch to reasonably hit the pecs.
    3k+

basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50) basejester will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    I am dominant with back and leg exercises and chest is my weak point, bench has only gone up 10 lbs, from 135 to 145 in 6 weeks
    I feel like a broken record, but that's not as bad as you think. If you add 1 pound a week for a year, you've added 52 pounds to your bench press. You can't compare the number of pounds added in squats or deadlifts to the number of pounds added in bench press, because those added pounds are a much smaller percentage of the total, especially considering that you're also lifting your own body weight in those exercises, not just the plates and the bar.

mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50) mbinda will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Why not just do your flyes on a pec-dec machine or cables as they provide constant tension on the chest muscles which is not possible with dumbbells.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by ZoranM View Post
    Absolutely not.
    Originally Posted by genetics83 View Post
    i agree with zoran
    Why? A bench fly's benefit is the ability to transverse abduct more than 90 degrees by dropping the elbows lower than the back, if he's not stretching that far anyway (not everyone does) then what would the disadvantage be?

Originally Posted by mbinda View Post
    Why not just do your flyes on a pec-dec machine or cables as they provide constant tension on the chest muscles which is not possible with dumbbells.
    We don't know if he has access to a pec deck, though he did mention cables.

Reasons that come to mind are: it's hard for some people to get into position with the cables, and a pec deck doesn't always go as wide as people would like and he may wish to stress the elbow joint so it doesn't fall behind in strength.

Of course, I assume most pec decks go to 90 degrees so it'd probably provide at least as much range as doing flies on the ground, maybe not as much as doing it on a bench, depending on the machine's adjustibility.

ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ZoranM has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Tyciol View Post
    Why?
    Here's how it will probably go:

I throw in a simple matter of ROM, and say that using a smaller ROM is not as effective.
    Then you give an example of say, deadlifts and rack pulls, and say how a smaller ROM may be veeery effective.
    Then i throw in a matter of resistance curve with flyes, and tell you how taking away the resistance in stretch position from the exercise that is so good BECAUSE of the resistance in the stretch position, is not the way to go.
    Plus the obvious, if not going low was as good as going low, everyone would be doing it. Less trouble, same results. Wouldn't it be nice...
    And then we can end the thread.
    bb.com, a place that turned Deadlift into a forearm isolation exercise

and a place where 99% of 21 year olds have bad back and knees.

TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10) TR0LLF4CE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find that DB flyes are no less effective when done on the floor than on a bench (i.e. mostly useless.)

Floor presses, on the other hand, are a great substitute for bench pressing if one has shoulder issues.
    E-Stats:

Bench Press 300kgs x5 (very weak as I have a broken wrist)
    A2G Back Squat 375kgs x3 (poor as I only started squatting last week)
    Deadlift 600kgs 25+ reps (I'm not prepared to go heavy with DLs as I have a slipped disk)
    One-Armed Clean and Press 300kgs (I was talking on the phone with my other hand so not my true 1rm)

My lifts are so weak! It's so humilating to post them . . .

Zoran, the simply matter is though, that considering the height of most benches, it's probably excessive for flying needs anyway. It's not as if the bells are getting set on the floor each rep.

Couldn't you just grab a couple pillows and put them under your upper back and head, elevating them a bit, and then you can get the RoM? I guess that'd be unstable but I dunno, instability doesn't seem as bad when you're already on the ground.

sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250) sojomojo has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Straight Arm Floor Flyes

If you're doing straight arm floor flyes, it's an exercise that I sometimes do if all the benches are being used and/or I simply want to do something different. It's always good to throw in a new or different exercise once in awhile to keep things interesting and to challenge your body to something new.

To limit RoM even further, do 'em with kettlebells =)