Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000) Justin23454 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hes on the juice!

JK GJ, lifts as much as me probly lol
    ~Barefooters Crew~

"There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them. If it kills you, it kills you. A man must constantly exceed his level" - Bruce Lee

“It's not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.”
    ― Bruce Lee

“If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, you'll never get it done.”
    - Bruce Lee

RIP Aziz "Zyzz" Sergeyevich Shavershian

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)

Smile I will be happy to explain

Originally Posted by PLANETGETLOW View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what to think about this. I like the fact that he's lifting but not so much of the fact that he's powerlifting. Even a mature adult will just not jump into compound movements, this WILL get you hurt.

Aside of other theories out there I would just fear he would get hurt. If I was this kids parent and he got hurt I'd never forgive myself.

#1 - If he's training at that age, why not just work on form, exercises, and circuits?

#2 - Who is encouraging him to lift this amount of weight?

#3 - Why?

Again, no hate just trying to understand why he's trying to do so much at such a young age?
    I will try to address each of your concerns:

"If I was this kids parent and he got hurt I'd never forgive myself".
    Probably, neither would I. But, should I never forgive myself if he gets hit with a baseball during that season?

#1 - "If he's training at that age, why not just work on form, exercises, and circuits? Even a mature adult will just not jump into compound movements".

Excellent palce to start. He started 18 months ago, with machines and body exercises. We then moved to just the bars. He could lift more than his bodyweight before he began training.

#2 - "Who is encouraging him to lift this amount of weight?"
    ABSOLUTELY NOBODY! It took him 10 minutes prior to this lift to convince me he was physically and mentally ready. This was done DURING a training session, not just for a PR.

#3 - "Why?"
    Because HE loves it! He already has in his mind what he will lift next week! I am pacing him so he doesn't DO MORE. He actually "studies" videos of lifters for hours to learn different styles and see the results.

People, please understand something. I recommend physical activity for ALL Children and adults. I don't recommend everybody start loading plates on their kids initially. Some have a predisposition for certain activities. My sons happens to be athletics, especially lifting. He is not "just a lifter". He is an Allstar baseball, and Allstar football player. He actually plays "up" in age with kids 2-3 years older than him. Truthfully, I don't think lifting is his best sport yet.

I know it sounds like bragging, but this one ain't normal or average.

David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000) David Wiggins is a name known to all. (+5000)

Oh yeah!

Originally Posted by MWHoll View Post
    Hearing foot steps Dave?
    Like any good Dad, I hope both my sons RUN RIGHT PAST anything I have accomplished!

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Unfortunately, there is no evidence that heaving lifting will hurt a child.

There is no evidence that heavy lifting is more dangerous than any other sport. In fact, studies (Hamill, 1994) show that skilled lifting such as powerlifting and weightlifting both have a lower injury rate than basebell, basketball, football and even badminton. Lower injury rates than recreational lifting as well.

Compound movements should be the basis of any routine. They stress multiple muscle groups across more than one joint, improve kinesthetic awareness, teach proper postural alignment when exercising, promote increases in bone mineral density and improve spinal health and alignment secondary to axial loading.

There is every reason to use compound movements and no reason not to.

Squatting is a natural bio mechanical movement, children naturally do it all the time.
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz
    I guess we'll all have different opinions and views on this. To each his own though and hopefully your son doesn't get injured.

ablts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There's no evidence that powerlifting can injure a kid's back because there's no kids that can lift 225 l- wait a minute

I guess we'll all have different opinions and views on this. To each his own though and hopefully your son doesn't get injured.
    I am not sure I can satisfy you. I have shared quite a bit of information based on his personal abilities and history.

You have shown no factual information in regards to kids getting hurt by safe resistance training. WHAT DO YOU BASE YOUR OPINION AND VIEW ON? Hopefully, it's more than that hogwash from the 80's about kids and lifting.

I even explained to you how we have done what you recommended in the begining stages. I mean when somebody is doing 100+ body squats (as he has), don't you think they are ready to move on? Everybody (even kids) have a different level of ability.

I guess we do have a different opinion. I'm OK with that.

But, I could have done without the negative "hopefully your son doesn't get injured". It just seamed a bit sarcastic.

Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    fortunately, there is no evidence that heaving lifting will hurt a child.

There is no evidence that heavy lifting is more dangerous than any other sport. In fact, studies (hamill, 1994) show that skilled lifting such as powerlifting and weightlifting both have a lower injury rate than basebell, basketball, football and even badminton. Lower injury rates than recreational lifting as well.

Compound movements should be the basis of any routine. They stress multiple muscle groups across more than one joint, improve kinesthetic awareness, teach proper postural alignment when exercising, promote increases in bone mineral density and improve spinal health and alignment secondary to axial loading.

There is every reason to use compound movements and no reason not to.

Squatting is a natural bio mechanical movement, children naturally do it all the time.
    fixed!

PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz PLANETGETLOW has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by David Wiggins View Post
    I am not sure I can satisfy you. I have shared quite a bit of information based on his personal abilities and history.

You have shown no factual information in regards to kids getting hurt by safe resistance training. WHAT DO YOU BASE YOUR OPINION AND VIEW ON? Hopefully, it's more than that hogwash from the 80's about kids and lifting.

I even explained to you how we have done what you recommended in the begining stages. I mean when somebody is doing 100+ body squats (as he has), don't you think they are ready to move on? Everybody (even kids) have a different level of ability.

I guess we do have a different opinion. I'm OK with that.

But, I could have done without the negative "hopefully your son doesn't get injured". It just seamed a bit sarcastic.
    As stated our opinions are different. My comment was honest with nothing hidden within it. I would've said the same thing if your son was playing baseball

gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbg has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

Aside of the facts/theories/broscience, maybe it just boils down to personal judgement for me. I personally would not have my 9 year old risking injury at this level. But again, that's just ME.

Do you have any kids gbg?

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    You better stay on his good side.

You also better hope he doesn't go through a rebellious phase.

Aside of the facts/
    Yeah, would not want annoying things like facts getting in the way of an opinion, now, would we?

I personally would not have my 9 year old risking injury at this level. But again, that's just ME.

Do you have any kids gbg?
    Originally Posted by gbg View Post
    Yeah, would not want annoying things like facts getting in the way of an opinion, now, would we?
    Here is a fact: I can fly a Boeing 747 with no license or any experience, does that mean I should?

I'll take that as no you don't have any children. Until you have kids, you cannot relate to where I am personally coming from.

Here is a fact: I can fly a Boeing 747 with no license or any experience, does that mean I should?

I'll take that as no you don't have any children. Until you have kids, you cannot relate to where I am personally coming from.
    First part: Matter of opinion. The Wright brothers never had a license. Where would we be without them?

Second part: Still an opinion based on nothing resembling facts.

Data supports the safety of compound lifts.
    Data does not support increased risk to children, and shows quite the opposite, including numerous benefits.

Opinions at odds with data are a denial of reality.

I've given your comments som more thought.

We, that have kids, all are concerned with their safety. I don't know yours, but still concern myself with their safety, as you have with mine.

I think we all have comfort zones of different levels depending on our "norms" or our environment, etc. For example: Skydiving may be very safe, but it is NOT within my comfort zone. On the other hand, picking up heavy stuff in my environment is the norm.

I think that regardless of the facts, what my son is doing is just out of your range of comfort.

I thank you for sincere concern.

PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PlzN0Alesana is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i nominate your son for the future god of the misc, you can't deny his destiny!

but really, thats very impressive, make sure he stays focused and only moves up from here

good job son of dave man
    i rep metalcore fans

disregard aesthetics, acquire gluttonous winter bulk.
    1k+

u mad i lift in work clothes?

paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paul_v is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Holy cow wait till this kid hits puberty and the testosterone starts flowing.
    ---------------------------------------
    Paul V

Misc Holy Spirit Crew
    Misc Epilepsy Crew
    Misc Dallas Crew
    Misc Over 40 crew
    *Old Misc Crew*

bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) bustasinclair has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    That is very impressive David! I know you're very proud as you should be.

I wanted to add in my .02 on the whole debate.

When I was 9 years old, my Dad, an abusive alcoholic who had beaten my mother, was just getting remarried to a woman who was also an alcoholic, drug abuser, and a paranoid schizophrenic. He didn't want to have anything to do with me....he chose that woman over his kids. Enough said.

I mention this not searching for pity, rather to point out that I imagine there are millions of kids who went through/are going through what I went through as a child and you are an example of what a father should be and it's pretty rare. You are there in the moment with your sons making memories and challenging them to be the best they can be. I don't have any science to argue one way or the other about a 9 year-old squatting 225#, but I will say this.... I'd be a much better person today if my Dad had put down the bottle and worked with my brother and me on any positive endeavor.

Major props to you!

Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000) Rdez is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs up

This is proof-positive that genetics play a HUGE role in athleticism and strength.

That coupled with an iron will and this is what you get!

That is DAMN Impressive! You have every reason to brag about your sons !!

Originally Posted by bustasinclair View Post
    That is very impressive David! I know you're very proud as you should be.

I wanted to add in my .02 on the whole debate.

When I was 9 years old, my Dad, an abusive alcoholic who had beaten my mother, was just getting remarried to a woman who was also an alcoholic, drug abuser, and a paranoid schizophrenic. He didn't want to have anything to do with me....he chose that woman over his kids. Enough said.

I mention this not searching for pity, rather to point out that I imagine there are millions of kids who went through/are going through what I went through as a child and you are an example of what a father should be and it's pretty rare. You are there in the moment with your sons making memories and challenging them to be the best they can be. I don't have any science to argue one way or the other about a 9 year-old squatting 225#, but I will say this.... I'd be a much better person today if my Dad had put down the bottle and worked with my brother and me on any positive endeavor.

Major props to you!
    Thanks brother, and to everybody else too. Like you, I didn't really have a positive male figure in my life. Every day I am practicing blind at being a good husband and dad.

ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000) ingym4life is just really nice. (+1000)

wow

that is just insane...what amazing genetics and he has obviously done some hard work and dedication already. I can't imagine him in high school. Total beast.

Great mentorship on your part, keep us posted

canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) canonhope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't even know what to say about this. Still in shock lol. Very hard to feel good about my own squat PR when a 9 yr old is squatting 225.

A toast to the dad's of the Misc.

Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Irondiesel58 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's really a bad idea for kids before there in their teens to lift over their own weight. There was a couple with little Huculies I think he was called. They were brought up on carges. Just keep it quiet and make sure he does not push it or he'll do premanent damage to he spine. My son and Daughter wants to but I 'll hold him off till he's 13. Just on Dad to another.

workoutnow1 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    cool

Originally Posted by irondiesel58 View Post
    it's really a bad idea for kids before there in their teens to lift over their own weight. There was a couple with little huculies i think he was called. They were brought up on carges. Just keep it quiet and make sure he does not push it or he'll do premanent damage to he spine. My son and daughter wants to but i 'll hold him off till he's 13. Just on dad to another.
    man, that's a really cool joke!!

em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) em-dubya has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I REALLY want to see a video on this..........................

here's his old vid

Originally Posted by em-dubya View Post
    I REALLY want to see a video on this..........................
    Don't have a current vid. This is from his first meet in January. We've been working on his form. He was sorta squatting dominately off one leg, and too stiff in the DL. He should be competing in 5 weeks in the SPF event in Peachtree City, Ga. He hopes to set their records in the pre teen (12 & under).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZuaUKODGGM
    Last edited by David Wiggins; 02-27-2011 at 06:31 AM.

acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) acash21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Incredibly insane. Props to him

AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000) AJPa is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DaddyR View Post
    That is truly awesome! Hope he sticks with it. Sometimes when puberty hits they decide that the things that were once their passion are no longer "cool". This kid has obviously got real potential!
    weightlifting is the kind of thing you want to do when u hit puberty o.0, pretty sure every teen on here wishes they lifted that young, and yeah i agree that was awesome