WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza

How to increase punching power? A resitance only programme.

So no skill training or anything like that I just want to know the strength and power training side of things!

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Work with your coach. The power behind your punch comes from your hips.
    If you dont have a coach, get one before you ruin your technique for good.

Now I eagerly await all the teenagers who have never thrown a punch come in and give you some weightlifting exercises for your arm and shoulders.

WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza WholemealPizza
    Originally Posted by DCSpartan View Post
    Work with your coach. The power behind your punch comes from your hips.
    If you dont have a coach, get one before you ruin your technique for good.

Now I eagerly await all the teenagers who have never thrown a punch come in and give you some weightlifting exercises for your arm and shoulders.
    I have a coach he is covering the skill side of things technique, hip turn, foot twist, hand turn over, timing etc, I also use the heavy bags I need advice for the resistance training side of things because I cant afford another coach to assist there

LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LactoseTolerant is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by WholemealPizza View Post
    So no skill training or anything like that I just want to know the strength and power training side of things!
    Then you don't want to increase punching power?

Originally Posted by LactoseTolerant View Post
    Then you don't want to increase punching power?
    I do, but while technique is most of the power, strength training and power training does add further power so I ask for advise about that small but important part of increasing power (the resistance training) Many boxers life weights, throw med balls etc

BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BrightonBomber is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Most power will come from punching technique. Power comes from the feet, up through the legs, through the posterior chain, shoulders then arm and fist. Getting the proper timing down to generate max power is really tricky.

But in regards to resistance training to improve power then you'll want sport specific movements that mimic and benefit punching. Resistance bands are a useful tool, you'll see a lot of well trained boxers use them to increase power as they require you to sustain or even increase force throughout a movement, meaning you sustain power throughout the punch and not just at the start.

Watch video's of Anthony Joshua training for a good idea of what types of movements you want, he's one of the most scientifically trained boxers out there at the moment. He trains at the English Institute of sport where he has access to what all the Olympians use to improve athletic performance.

But of course all this work to improve power means nothing if you don't have the technique to deliver all that power in the form of a punch. Which is why an immensely strong guy like Timothy Bradley who has a powerlifting background can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag and a guy like Felix Trinidad who didn't lift much and ran marathons between fights could punch like a 10 ton truck.
    Bench -216lbs
    Squat - 268lbs
    Deadlift - 375lbs
    OHP - 134lbs

Originally Posted by BrightonBomber View Post
    Most power will come from punching technique. Power comes from the feet, up through the legs, through the posterior chain, shoulders then arm and fist. Getting the proper timing down to generate max power is really tricky.

But in regards to resistance training to improve power then you'll want sport specific movements that mimic and benefit punching. Resistance bands are a useful tool, you'll see a lot of well trained boxers use them to increase power as they require you to sustain or even increase force throughout a movement, meaning you sustain power throughout the punch and not just at the start.

Watch video's of Anthony Joshua training for a good idea of what types of movements you want, he's one of the most scientifically trained boxers out there at the moment. He trains at the English Institute of sport where he has access to what all the Olympians use to improve athletic performance.

But of course all this work to improve power means nothing if you don't have the technique to deliver all that power in the form of a punch. Which is why an immensely strong guy like Timothy Bradley who has a powerlifting background can't punch his way out of a wet paper bag and a guy like Felix Trinidad who didn't lift much and ran marathons between fights could punch like a 10 ton truck.
    You know your stuff, thankyou BB!

sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) sooby has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    best way to train a specific attribute is specificity, most punching power comes from the hips, train movements that are similar and have similar patterns to a proper punch.

+1 to bands

zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) zGwild is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If you are not currently doing a balanced general strength program then adding that in to your schedule will improve your power assuming you are taking care of the other aspects. Check out Tactical Barbell. There are two books. One that goes over the weight lifting part of it and one that goes over conditioning and how to manage SPP and GPP in a way that they do not conflict with each other. They are like $12 on amazon and well worth it especially if you do not have an educated coach programming all the aspects of your training.

mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mdonnelly80 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A basic, novice weight training program like SS, coupled with some sport specific-resistance band work should do the trick. You may need to dial the weight training back to two-days per week if you're training for boxing on a regular basis. But, those basic compound movements will develop every muscle involved in the kinetic chain of throwing a punch.
    "The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds." -Henry Rollins

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    force = mass * acceleration.

Acceleration is basically the skill specific side of training, and is most important (jackie chan was what, 135-145lb?). Strength can improve your acceleration, but too much size can also slow you down.

Mass side can increase from having more overall muscle on your body... don't think all just arms though, because your whole body is a kinetic chain and the more force you can drive up the more output you will get at your fists.

Keep in mind, what's even more important that punch power is punch PLACEMENT... the maximum amount of force is going to be determined by your fist size, and the size of your opponent.

Also, in fights, generally conditioning > strength (so long as you aren't COMPLETELY outsized / strengthed by your opponent)... since your power is drained with every punch or block you make...
    Fluid's happy-sunshine-bright-feeling-for-you Fierce5 log -- now with REAL cheese!
    https://tinyurl.com/fluidzF5

Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Would be beneficial to sign up for boxing.

I thought I was a good 'fighter' mainly through backyard fighting, street fights, backyard training with people who did martial arts. Dabbled in Boxing for a short period of time and realized I was chit lol.

SO yeah.
    USN Vet, Student, Loser.

Goals

12-15% BF -Goal met 5/26/2017 at around 10-13%
    1000LB Club - Goal met 11/9/2017. S/B/D 405lb/305lb/425lb 1135 total
    Look like I lift.

Me logging my pathetic lifts. - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174152951&p=1506677001#post1506677001

MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50) MarsScorpio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by WholemealPizza View Post
    Well in addition to heavy bag training which I think would be a form of resistance training you could incorporate explosive movements.

I would think explosive movements like Push Jerks and push presses would work best for example.

You could also do bench presses with lighter weight, but practice with each rep exploding the bar off your chest as fast as you can.