BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Right leg twitching during max deadlifts/can't get to 500 lbs

Hi everyone,

I have been struggling to get to 500 lbs on the deadlift and I'm not sure why; I have tried many different forms/programs and my diet seems perfect. I have noticed one issue, on the heaviest lifts I do great up until the bar reaches my knees, getting it from my knees to my waist is the hardest part...I'm pretty sure I could do 500 lbs up to the knees, but at my current max of 455 it flies up to the knees, then my right knee/leg starts "twitching" and helping drag the weight up....does this count as a max lift? Or does twitching your leg count as "cheating" on the lift? My max with no right leg twitch is around 425 lbs, on that once it reaches my knees I can just drag it up my thighs with no help from the right leg "easing" it up. Should I still do the 455 lbs to keep my strength up? Or should I stick to my 425 max and lower? I lately have been doing the Coan Phillipi routine with some minor modifications- I start out with 3 warmup sets at 5 reps each starting 135x5, 225x5, 305x5 and then I do 4 reps at 405lbs (no leg twitch on any of them) and then I do either my max of 425 (no twitch) or 455 (twitch), then I do 5 sets of single reps at 410lbs (no twitch on any of them) and then 6 sets of 3 reps at 360lbs, then a single stiff-leg deadlift set of 8 reps at 305 and finally 1 set of 12 good mornings at 150 lbs. I appreciate all help...here is a video from a few months ago when I was at 435 with hitching(remove spaces)- w w w. you tube . com /watch?v=D3BsQbAXSVI
    Last edited by BSideleau; 11-19-2013 at 08:29 PM.

Samoset is a genie deadliftdang's Avatar
    deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000) deadliftdang is just really nice. (+1000)
    post the link with spaces and someone can embed it for you.

are you starting far away from the bar? that oculd explain the automatic hitching.

BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) BSideleau has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by deadliftdang View Post
    post the link with spaces and someone can embed it for you.

are you starting far away from the bar? that oculd explain the automatic hitching.
    here's the link

w w w. you tube . com /watch?v=D3BsQbAXSVI

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz

that's called hitching.

it would get red lights at an reputable federation. red lights = missed lift.

its cause is your lack of setup, poor positioning and initiation of the lift, putting you in a terrible leverage position and inability to lockout.
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they change your username, so don't ask*
    *Mods/CS will not, nor can they mass delete your post history, so don't ask*

Originally Posted by isaku900 View Post

that's called hitching.

it would get red lights at an reputable federation. red lights = missed lift.

its cause is your lack of setup, poor positioning and initiation of the lift, putting you in a terrible leverage position and inability to lockout.
    Thanks...how do you think I can remedy it? Will rack pulls help (I have yet to try them)? Should be feet be farther apart?

isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz isaku900 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by BSideleau View Post
    Thanks...how do you think I can remedy it? Will rack pulls help (I have yet to try them)? Should be feet be farther apart?
    ...this will not be solved by a variant exercise.

it will be solved by developing a proper setup and consistent technique.

scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) scottyk31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You have to either go on youtube and look up technique videos or get a good deadlifter to teach you. You can eek your way to a certain weight but if you are looking to pull actual heavy weight you need sound technique
    Recent Meets
    1444 @ 275 usapl 12/13
    1465 @ 282 RPS. 5/14
    1504 @ 275 USPA. 7/14
    1526 @ 278 USAPL 3/15

IG: sawmillpower275
    Log: working with Wenning, road to raw Nats

Originally Posted by scottyk31 View Post
    You have to either go on youtube and look up technique videos or get a good deadlifter to teach you. You can eek your way to a certain weight but if you are looking to pull actual heavy weight you need sound technique
    Thanks...I have checked a few out...it looks like I am too rounded in the back. I also think perhaps I need to strengthen my glutes.

Originally Posted by BSideleau View Post
    I also think perhaps I need to strengthen my glutes.
    no. you need to put yourself in a position to actually use them.

stop looking at variations and accessories to fix a fundamental breakdown in how you perform the lift.

no. you need to put yourself in a position to actually use them.

stop looking at variations and accessories to fix a fundamental breakdown in how you perform the lift.
    Do you have any good examples to show me? I have looked on you tube and what I have seen is not all that different from my technique; I suppose I need to straighten my back and bend my knees more? I do not have any trainers to ask, as I work out in my garage.

most people deadlift like complete ****sacks.

start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg

Thank you...this is very helpful; next week I am going to start fresh on deadlift and do lighter to get my form correct, and then move from there.

Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10) Fizzik is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need to start the pull with your shoulders in line with the bar before you pull. If you have this fundamental correct it basically enforces bottom tension(pulling slack out of the bar). Lots of great videos including

Last edited by Fizzik; 11-20-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any form of shaking means its too much for you! Too heavy

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Bramley89 View Post
    F*cking terrible advice.

OP, check this out and let me know if you have any questions:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...anged-my-life/
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bramley89 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by HamburgerTrain View Post
    F*cking terrible advice.

OP, check this out and let me know if you have any questions:

http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...anged-my-life/
    That wasnt advice, it was a statement which is very true!

You can even see in the video its not a proper lift, because the weight is too much.

sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sheed30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

You can even see in the video its not a proper lift, because the weight is too much.
    If I'm maxing out on DL's...whether it's one rep or multiple reps...I'm pretty much guaranteed to be shaking a bit.
    Get Big or Die Training - Only the Strong Survive

Meet PR: 464/348/551
    Gym PR: 505/405/585

Travelin' Man Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151132293&highlight=travelin+man

MS,CSCS,CF-L1,USAW,WBB HamburgerTrain's Avatar
    HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) HamburgerTrain has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It's not a proper lift because his technique is bad with that weight and it wouldn't count in a meet (which is all that really matters for us in this section). Shaking is fine if the weight can be locked out and counted under the standards of legitimate competition.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats."

Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rusty56 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

But I'm not a powerlifter Aasemd's Avatar
    Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Aasemd has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    most people deadlift like complete ****sacks.

start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS2wLZSdeDg
    OH MY GOD! Everyone told me my feet was too far away so i got super close and my pull went to ****. I knew I was doing something right. This post has helped
    Who even cares?

ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000) ChecksandGiggles is a name known to all. (+5000)

Do you even lift?
    Eternal Gym Rat, Student Physical Therapist. None of my post content should be taken as medical advice. Ask your doctor/PT.

Best Gym Lifts: 585/390/675 440 FS 265 OHP @203 No longer competing

I lift weights for fun