Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Career in Nutrition/Personal Training - Salary questions.

Alright, so I am currently a college student (freshman) with a major of Computer Science. My heart is not with computer science in any way. I have no passion for it at all, so I am in search of a new major. I have a strong passion for working out, being healthy, and helping others, so I thought.. maybe being a personal trainer would be fitting.

I am currently on a scholarship and would like to finish school, though. So I am wondering, if I get a B.S. in Nutrition Science as well as becoming a certified personal trainer with a few different certifications would this make me nice income?

I could see myself loving the career and being able to stick to it. I feel like I could wake up and be happy with it every day. I cannot sit behind a desk designing programs every day of my life, that just isn't me. So anyone with some experience in this or any guidance, please help me grasp this.

Thanks.

Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Honestly if you want money stick with computer science and train people on the side to build up a client base. You don't need a degree to train people so you might as well save yourself the money there, just get a certification. If you love it and are serious however get the degree get some ***** and get to work. Its just a much harder road then most people think and you may or may not make any money with it depending on how much work you put in.

Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kyled427 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
    Honestly if you want money stick with computer science and train people on the side to build up a client base. You don't need a degree to train people so you might as well save yourself the money there, just get a certification. If you love it and are serious however get the degree get some ***** and get to work. Its just a much harder road then most people think and you may or may not make any money with it depending on how much work you put in.
    Well I will put in a ton of work if its the route I decide to go. If I make it a career I will definitely put in a lot of work. I just need to come up with a job that will allow me to remain active in some way.

I need to figure out what I can do with a nutrition degree.

Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nate R. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kyled427 View Post
    Well I will put in a ton of work if its the route I decide to go. If I make it a career I will definitely put in a lot of work. I just need to come up with a job that will allow me to remain active in some way.

I need to figure out what I can do with a nutrition degree.
    If you become a registered dietitian that will help ALOT technically we are not allowed to tell people what to eat.. pretty ridiculous but almost all of us do it anyway. Suggestions and such. Just gotta be careful with it, because it is technically illegal. I wish I went for nutrition! I know a lot of trainers that have it and are doing very well. Even some on these forums, I believe Own3r is a registered dietitian if I am not mistaken

WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) WorldMuscle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Don't be a PT, it's really not worth the time and effort and dealing with all the different personalities and demands. Also you need to live in a good area. You will always be wandering where your next check is going to come. Your best bet as a PT is to start a website and do online consulting etc. like a few of the big ones online, or just be a personal trainer as a part time gig outside of a normal job.

Become a registered Dietitian and get a job in a Hospital. I was blessed and was able to find a job in a hospital as an Exercise Physiologist with a Exercise Science degree. The registered dietitians have pretty easy jobs. The whole thing about working with sports teams or being a high paid trainer is really just dreamland for most people unless you have connections, or you want to eat up all your evening time for the rest of your working life.

Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Baadboy11 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I agree with the two above, if you are going to do it be a dietician.

fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I make a good income now as a corporate instructor. The job requires a lot of travel and time away from my family. My cert class is in April for PT. I like the previous comment about doing it part-time or taking on a client here and there to get started, but I really want to make a living out of it if I could. I'm at a dead end with my corp america tour.

The grass is not greener on the other side, but I guess you have to weigh what's most important to you. In my case, missing family time to make better money or being able to be with my kids and wife every day. Its a tough decision because each has its pros and cons.

I can make some money at it. Without experience, is it best to start out at a club or gym to get some clients built up, time under the belt and then go out on your own?

owenfarmer1975 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about working 12 months as a regular instructor and cut your teeth on experiences with varied abilities and experience of your gym members?
    Then you can simultaneously build your client bank, gain experience and have a salary and then launch your PT business.
    I work 3 days a week ad fitness manager and 25-30 hours as PT.
    Once people get a taste of your style and enjoy your programes you are on your way to attaining them as clients- what do you think?

fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast40 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've thought about that. The gym I've been at for 15 years has offered me a part time gig as a membership sales person with hourly wage + commision + bonus for sales goals. I had thought about combining several avenues together for one compensation package I could go after.

Seperately, I couldn't quite my regular job and do them, it would be bad for the family and a drastic lifestyle change.

Good idea owenfarmer1975. I might approach the gym about coming up with something that combines sales, commission, training, classes without working 12-14 hour days, 6 days a week. Again, not good for family / work balance.

jphalflion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jphalflion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jphalflion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jphalflion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't waste your time getting a college degree to be a PT. Get the computer science degree and get a job in technology. Save money, get a pt cert and do it on the side part time. With money saved from you normal job, then you can start your own studio in a rich area and have other trainers work for you and then you can train people on your terms and not worry about where the next paycheck is coming from.

Like the guy above you said, being a PT is not as great as most think . You will be working mostly with older middle aged people with many having an attitude and downright lazy.

A lot of young guys think being a PT is cool and they will meet lots of women, and get laid. Lol think again. The bulk of your clients will be unattractive and old.

I've got mixed emotions on that question. I agree with the above post, to go ahead, get your degree and start in the business you are in...there can be some great money made there. Save like a hermit, get your PT cert sometime, train on the side and then plunk down some cash to open up your own place, or have enough reserve to get you to the next level if you quit your job.

If you are doing a job you certainly hate doing, then find what makes you tick and do that for a living, if money is not the object. It sounds like the cash does not come easy in this biz, so you have to run your show like a business for it to succeed. Pull no punches and stay the course. There is no easy way in any career path. Believe me...unless you are handed a business from rich daddy, you make your own way.

sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50) sparkleys will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've already made up your mind about doing something else other than computer science. You're just looking for validation now.

Anyway, I graduated with a finance degree and worked in the business world for few years; absolutely hated it. I am now back in school to become a R.D. My advice is to find something you absolutely love doing and stick with that. It doesn't have to be personal training, nutrition, etc, but if it is, wonderful. Get your nutritional science degree and go for the R.D. route. Just figure out what YOU want to do.