TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

5/3/1 question...

I got sick around a month ago with the flu, ontop of that I injured my shoulder a few weeks earlier. I haven't really done anything serious in the last month. Should I just put my old maxes down 10-15 pounds and start back?

bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bdfitelson is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Maxes?

Originally Posted by TP1 View Post
    I got sick around a month ago with the flu, ontop of that I injured my shoulder a few weeks earlier. I haven't really done anything serious in the last month. Should I just put my old maxes down 10-15 pounds and start back?
    Maxes? Does that mean that prior to you getting ill you were attempting 1RM every workout? If you did that could very well be the reason you injured your shoulder. Maxes aren't very smart...really ever. You can gauge strength gains by uping weights used in set with more reps done. Unless you're a power lifter, which I'm guessing you're not just by the name of the site you are on there is no benefit to maxing out. Straight sets 8-12 reps provides the most muscle stimulation for growth. And most importantly doesn't put you in danger of injury quite the way maxing out does.

ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ogre21793 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    He is probably talking about the maxes he uses for the 5-3-1 program. Not maxing everyday. Everyone uses a certain % of their 1RM each workout. Wendler's 5-3-1, uses certain %'s, and he want's to know if he should drop his 1 rep max so that the weights he actually lifts in the program go down as well.

I would say yes, or maybe take a couple of days to find out where you actually are atm, then start the 5-3-1 next week. If you don't want to wait, drop them 10% or so, because the longer you go before you stall, the better the program will work. Jim recommended dropping your maxes by 10% before using them in the program to begin with, for this exact reason.

On a side note, as a guy with an Arthritic shoulder myself,( not saying that's what your problem is) shoulder issues should be checked out thoroughly. And babied a bit in the gym until they are better.( if they will get better, heh)
    my workout Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=128057173

January 2010 -- 265 lbs -- 32% bf
    Sept 2010 -- 222 lbs -- 14% bf
    Jan 2011 -- 228 lbs -- 14% bf

Goal -- ~210 lbs and <10% bf

abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10) abronxtale is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Stick with your current training maxes.

If you notice they are giving you problems (to heavy) drop down 5-10lbs and adjust accordingly.

Don't jump the gun to early though.

You have to play it by ear and see how it feels for you.

TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TP1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ogre21793 View Post
    He is probably talking about the maxes he uses for the 5-3-1 program. Not maxing everyday. Everyone uses a certain % of their 1RM each workout. Wendler's 5-3-1, uses certain %'s, and he want's to know if he should drop his 1 rep max so that the weights he actually lifts in the program go down as well.

I would say yes, or maybe take a couple of days to find out where you actually are atm, then start the 5-3-1 next week. If you don't want to wait, drop them 10% or so, because the longer you go before you stall, the better the program will work. Jim recommended dropping your maxes by 10% before using them in the program to begin with, for this exact reason.

On a side note, as a guy with an Arthritic shoulder myself,( not saying that's what your problem is) shoulder issues should be checked out thoroughly. And babied a bit in the gym until they are better.( if they will get better, heh)

It's when I bench to long without a de-load, my shoulder / bicep tendon flares up. I usually don't do to much assistance work for it.

I set everything lower, except for squat (since i've been squatting still). Could only do 225x5 on the first day, sucks I was doing it x12 back in august. Oh well bench strength usually comes back fast when you get it going.