Closed Thread
Page 179 of 336 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,370 of 10051
    Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How do you play build a proper scale on a guitar?

Been learning music theory on the piano. I know how to build any scale, but how do you apply it to a certain section of the neck on a guitar? Is that what you guys where talking about before about box patters.

Like let's say I wanna play an a Minor scale, I start at the bottom e string, at what point of the scale do I move up to the second string and so forth?
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Galindo62 View Post
    How do you play build a proper scale on a guitar?

Been learning music theory on the piano. I know how to build any scale, but how do you apply it to a certain section of the neck on a guitar? Is that what you guys where talking about before about box patters.

Like let's say I wanna play an a Minor scale, I start at the bottom e string, at what point of the scale do I move up to the second string and so forth?
    The BB Box scale pattern is just a movable pattern that works for any position on the fretboard. The notes involved are indicative of blues with the lowered third. You can read more about it here, it's a fun tool to have http://www.premierguitar.com/article...he-bb-king-box

As for every other scale, it's dependent on the register of notes you need to play (A on the open 5th string is a different register than an A on the 15th fret of the E string, despite being the same tonal pitch)

Fingering is important when building scales on the guitar, something that pianists don't need to worry as much about. On the guitar, all scales can be fingered to become totally movable, like the BB Box above. The same notes repeat several times on various locations of the fretboard, which makes this possible. Here's a good link to explain a bit better http://www.theguitarsource.co.uk/fin...able_major.htm

From that article, you can see that the fingering patterns changed when your root moved from 6th to 5th string. That's when it gets complicated. You can find roots for all scales on all strings. Start with this for now and experiment with it. To start my warm up I like doing a 6 string major scale from the C on the 8th fret and continue upwards until about the G on the 15th fret.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***
    It is the power of the mind to be unconquerable

Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Always get mega over-whelmed with what to do whilst practicing. Is there a website that has practicing setup like a basic progression scheme? Like learn this then this? Feel like if I can get practicing like weightlifting(as in I know what to do when) I'll be set.

Keep in mind, I don't mean planning all my playing for one day. This is just to make sure I am practicing everyday. Definitely gonna play for fun separately.

Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Galindo62 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not just pick a song to learn?

And then analyze the music sheet for it.
    I used to have an AVI of my traps and neck. I changed it a while back and tried editing my user title but this website is glitched and it will not let me change it anymore.

Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000) Monty522 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why not just pick a song to learn?

And then analyze the music sheet for it.
    I know a lot, but I don't really know how it's connected if that makes sense. Like muscle memory for entire scales without knowing the context, certain chords, etc. I'd rather learn how everything flows together for greater understanding. I'll probably get back into the swing today by trying out a simple Modest Mouse track.

Well if they all followed the same pattern that be pretty boring...there's a lot of different stuff out there. Yeah sure the there's a lot of basic stuff that's used a ton and sounds great...but there's still some variances

That's why I said get the music sheet and analyze it and see how it progresses etc etc.

I assume you know how to find the key of a song and the the scale degrees of a key?
    Any good modest mouse songs? I only like a few

Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000) Rolling is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Need some help

I've currently in the process of learning all of the chords and different voicings all over the neck.

Right now I can play all of the Major and Minor chords anywhere on the neck, inversions, triads etc. (Really helped with memorizing the fretboard)

Now I want to learn about the other chord types:

Minor 7ths
    Major 7ths
    Dom 7ths
    Sus 2
    Sus 4
    9ths
    11ths
    Slash

The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of situations for using these chords, I'm not familiar with them. What particular type of chord progressions are used with them? What style of music? How do I use them to create tension ?

My plan is to learn them all and also be able to play them all over the fretboard
    another quality thread by wssicks
    wow strong arms

iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) iTzDevo has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Monty522 View Post
    Always get mega over-whelmed with what to do whilst practicing. Is there a website that has practicing setup like a basic progression scheme? Like learn this then this? Feel like if I can get practicing like weightlifting(as in I know what to do when) I'll be set.

Keep in mind, I don't mean planning all my playing for one day. This is just to make sure I am practicing everyday. Definitely gonna play for fun separately.
    This is why a lot of people hire a guitar teacher or lifting coach. There are tons of mindless exercises online that will improve your chops if you practice them every single day, but they aren't necessarily fun... unless you're of the personality to enjoy that kind of mindless grind. Galindo's advice is good, pick a song that you like and then try to learn it either by ear, sheet music, or tab. I've done thousands of songs this way and it kept me interested while I was without a professional teacher. I've also done the exercise grind and it's less fun, but really improves your technical skill.

Originally Posted by Rolling View Post
    Need some help

I've currently in the process of learning all of the chords and different voicings all over the neck.

Right now I can play all of the Major and Minor chords anywhere on the neck, inversions, triads etc. (Really helped with memorizing the fretboard)

Now I want to learn about the other chord types:

Minor 7ths
    Major 7ths
    Dom 7ths
    Sus 2
    Sus 4
    9ths
    11ths
    Slash

The problem is, I'm not sure what kind of situations for using these chords, I'm not familiar with them. What particular type of chord progressions are used with them? What style of music? How do I use them to create tension ?

My plan is to learn them all and also be able to play them all over the fretboard
    Learning all of the chords and voicings is no small task... let me know when you do that. I've played for 17 years and am nowhere near all 2000+ chords. Ask for your question, I will give you some generalizations: 7ths are used always in jazz and you'll find them in ii V I progressions. 9th and 11th chords are also very jazzy, although not limited to jazz. Think of these chords as adding a different flavour to a regular seventh chord. Suspended and slash chords are common to folk music and players such as James Taylor and William Fitzsimmons use them extensively.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

EE Student Master Race Rayaarito's Avatar
    Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Rayaarito has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Picked up the guitar last week. Learning how to switch from chord to chord really fast and efficiently. But i can only do it fast and efficiently when I'm looking at the strings. How long did it take til you guys were able to start playing without looking at the strings. Should I work on that now while I'm learning?

I'm learning off of Justin Guitar's beginner course right now.
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-00...nersCourse.php

Also, this is around my end goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCcjlD2LcQw
    What do I have to learn for that? Arpeggios anddd idk what else

StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) StatutoryApe213 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rayaarito View Post
    Picked up the guitar last week. Learning how to switch from chord to chord really fast and efficiently. But i can only do it fast and efficiently when I'm looking at the strings. How long did it take til you guys were able to start playing without looking at the strings. Should I work on that now while I'm learning?

It'll take about a month. It's basically training your muscle memory so well you could go to any chord of your choice without even looking.

[youtube]cCcjlD2LcQw[youtube]
    Not much arpeggiation happening in that solo, sounds like a lot of repeated pentatonic scale and he chooses to use the diagonal fingering. I'm confident I could teach that to a beginner student within a half hour lesson time. The ending with that repetitive wanking is also on the same pentatonic scale, but in a blues manner where he bends the third... the cool sounds you're hearing are from his pedalboard effects.

If you can read tab, give this a shot. It's the diagonal pentatonic pattern he's using. The pattern is transferable to any position on the fretboard, not just what's written in this diagram:

If you can't read tab, start.

As per your first question about chords, don't stress it. Look at them until you get to a point where you can feel them. All instruments are sensory and if you're not looking and listening, you're physically (and emotionally) feeling. Of course, you should also always be listening. Good ears make a good player.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

I always forget to thank this thread but I have to say with the guidance of this thread I went from 0 music knowledge to almost being able to sight read on the piano, and analyzing music sheets.

Not just devo(especially devo though) but reading through many old posts.

I always forget to thank this thread but I have to say with the guidance of this thread I went from 0 music knowledge to almost being able to sight read on the piano, and analyzing music sheets.

Not just devo(especially devo though) but reading through many old posts.
    No worries brother. Don't discount all the work you've put in, though. Talent is 100% learned and developed, musical or otherwise
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LiamR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey guys, I'm just finishing up some research for a project at uni and I need a few more responses for my survey, it's short and on the link between music theory and guitar improv, just opinions needed, if you've got a moment I'd really appreciate it!
    www.surveymonkey.com/s/RTQM3T9
    - 52 books in 52 weeks Challenge -

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    ^^^^^
    done

called you a big fairy and used a lot of bad language....
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

I'm comin' in dry... ratt1ehead's Avatar
    ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Once you've practiced the diatonic scale and are able to play all of its modes flawlessly with decent speed, you'll look back on this vid and realize how easy that solo is. Much of it is effects also.
    -Eats ass CREW
    -Dat ass CREW
    -Always talking about ass CREW
    -Sniffs hard as fck when girl walks by to try to smell her ass CREW
    -Rocky II and IV have the best montage CREW
    -Capitalizes the word crew for no reason CREW

ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ratt1ehead is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A mnemonic I use for the modes is

I
    Don't
    Play
    Metallica (or any band that starts with "M")
    At
    Least

Ionian (Major scale)
    Dorian
    Phrygian
    Lydian
    Mixolydian
    Aeolian (Natural minor scale)
    Locrian

Knowing these modes and lots of practice to gain finger dexterity will turn anyone into a shredder in no time.
    -Eats ass CREW
    -Dat ass CREW

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ratt1ehead View Post
    Metallica (or any band that starts with "M")
    STRONG user name to wrong M band ratio
    Signature keeps disappearing crew
    Well under 10 lines crew
    Wtf m8 crew

\m/ Metal crew
    Misc Photography crew
    PC Master race
    Katy Perry is my 10/10 crew
    Try and edit posts before "Last edit" message shows up crew

ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ShoryuBrah has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    If you want to run that low, get a 7 string or a baritone 6 string, much better all the way around
    You can definitely do Drop B on a 6. I played Drop A for a long ass time on a 6. Admittedly, I didn't like the feel that much compared to playing with a 7. That being said, if the strings are still floppy in Drop B, you just need thicker strings. Try Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky strings. If you don't want a 7, look for an extended scale 6 string too. The neck will be a bit longer but you will be able to tune lower with thinner strings, and still retain good string tension.
    Well under 10 lines crew
    Wtf m8 crew

\m/ Metal crew
    Misc Photography crew
    PC Master race

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Sir Christopher Lee, Legendary Actor and Heavy Metal Performer, Dead at 93

http://www.guitarworld.com/sir-chris...singer-dead-93

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCN7...AjQ0UjBZ4an6Eg
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Originally Posted by ShoryuBrah View Post
    STRONG user name to wrong M band ratio
    Wut?

Rattlehead is by Megadeth and the mnemonic says I DON'T play like Metallica.
    -Eats ass CREW
    -Dat ass CREW

I need help with accompying bass notes. I feel i should kinda now this by understanding scale degrees and progressjon but I haven't really put it into practice yet.

I'm trying to transpose from guitar to piano.

Specifically I'm trying to add more flare to the beautiful la catedral piece (the third part) (the first two parts already sound nice enough). Again from guitar to piano.

Here is the music sheet. https://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-m...235a7374cd89ee

If anybody could at least point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Or any tips is good.

Originally Posted by ratt1ehead View Post
    Wut?

Rattlehead is by Megadeth and the mnemonic says I DON'T play like Metallica.
    Oh, good point. Wasn't really looking at the phrase, just the band name :P
    Well under 10 lines crew
    Wtf m8 crew

\m/ Metal crew
    Misc Photography crew
    PC Master race

tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000) tucci420 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just started playing 6 months go. Enjoying my time playing and having fun learning more.
    *Positive Crew*
    315B / 345S / 435D
    Lifting since May 2013.

I need help with accompying bass notes. I feel i should kinda now this by understanding scale degrees and progressjon but I haven't really put it into practice yet.

I'm trying to transpose from guitar to piano.

Specifically I'm trying to add more flare to the beautiful la catedral piece (the third part) (the first two parts already sound nice enough). Again from guitar to piano.

Here is the music sheet. https://www.jellynote.com/en/sheet-m...235a7374cd89ee

If anybody could at least point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Or any tips is good.
    Hmm that's a tough call. I see what you mean about it being pretty bare, just having the melody line there. If I were in a hurry, I would arrange it so every grouping of sixteenth notes had a root bassline. By that I mean, find the root of each chord (essentially what is being played, although broken up instead of in usual block-chord form) and hold that bass note while you play the upper line. It may require you to change the fingerings of some parts, which can be difficult for beginner players, but if you have a lot of time and motivation for this piece it's totally do-able.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

Thanks a ton devo. That something I need to get better at anyways, reading which chord is been played ( when its not so straightforwardly laid out). It gets tricky when you're dealing outside of the basic major and minors lul.
    It helped a ton though! Still keeping it simple but i feel I'm on the right path.
    Thanks a ton.

Thanks a ton devo. That something I need to get better at anyways, reading which chord is been played ( when its not so straightforwardly laid out). It gets tricky when you're dealing outside of the basic major and minors lul.
    It helped a ton though! Still keeping it simple but i feel I'm on the right path.
    Thanks a ton.
    No prob. A lot of lower university level music theory is analyzing broken and block chords. Practice it and you'll start to see it
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Is it worth taking lessons or should I just tab everything. I made a thread about this earlier.

Also I went to my local guitar center. I really want an actual Fender strat I currently have a Squire Affinity strat. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in tone between a Fender Standard, Squire Classic Vibe, and my Affinity. Since my budget is limited right now I'd be better off just modding my current strat, changing pick-ups and all that stuff. Getting a better amp also.

Kinda frustrated cause I start learning a song then jump to another. Trying to get myself to focus on one thing at a time, it's mind numbing playing the same thing over and over again though.
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

Originally Posted by CherryPopinski View Post
    Is it worth taking lessons or should I just tab everything. I made a thread about this earlier.

Also I went to my local guitar center. I really want an actual Fender strat I currently have a Squire Affinity strat. I honestly couldn't tell the difference in tone between a Fender Standard, Squire Classic Vibe, and my Affinity. Since my budget is limited right now I'd be better off just modding my current strat, changing pick-ups and all that stuff. Getting a better amp also.

Kinda frustrated cause I start learning a song then jump to another. Trying to get myself to focus on one thing at a time, it's mind numbing playing the same thing over and over again though.
    Learning tab is an invaluable skill in the early stages. It essentially removes the memorization of notation and converts visual music to a numeric pattern. There is a lot of argument against tab but as long as you understand rhythm and note values (quarter note, eighth note, sixteenth note, and so on) you will be able to read the music properly if the rhythms are marked.

That said, it's very worthwhile to take lessons from an established teacher. Don't hire the local high school kid who started a band and thinks he's a professional. Find someone with a music degree or even working on their music degree and you will progress much faster.

Can't help you with your guitar choice, it will come down to budget and feel. Generally a higher end Strat will feel smoother and better than a low end Squier. That tends to be the rule of thumb for most guitars, hence why there is a market for low and high end.

Practising doesn't have to be mindless drilling, find ways to make it fun. If you can't make it fun, that's another job of your teacher's. I turn all of my kids technical exercises into games and challenges, which rewards them when they beat me at my own game.
    *** Misc Cigar Crew ***

Closed Thread
Page 179 of 336 FirstFirst ... 79 129 169 177 178 179 180 181 189 229 279 ... LastLast