russelwallace has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Back+Shoulder / Chest + Arms / Leg Split?

I am a beginner, overweight (5' 10", 185 lbs, ~25% body fat), and trying to work out to get fit.

Most 3-day splits I've seen do Back + Biceps / Chest + Shoulders + Triceps / Legs. I find that after I do the Bent-over Rows and Deadlifts, I am a little too wiped to hit the arms/biceps.

So I am looking at:

Day 1: Back and Shoulders
    -------------------------------
    * Bent-over Row
    * Deadlift
    * Shoulder Press (Dumbbell)
    * Lateral Raise

Day 2: Legs
    --------------
    * Squat
    * Lunge
    * Calf Raise

Day 3: Chest, Triceps and Biceps
    ------------------------------------
    * Chest Press
    * Triceps Extension
    * Barbell Curl
    * Hammer Curl

I have not seen many examples of splits that group in this way. Is there something wrong with it?

I am concerned that the deadlift works out the some of the same muscles as the squats, and thus I should not doing Day 1 and 2 on two consecutive days. Is that right?

Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Shermanatorx has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You should look into Starting Strength. It's considered one of the best routines for a beginner, you can't go wrong with it.

xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) xXxSeiFxXx has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by russelwallace View Post
    I am a beginner, overweight (5' 10", 185 lbs, ~25% body fat), and trying to work out to get fit.

Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

Link -- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=131379243

blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10) blong4133 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    that's the same split i do, except I have a day for abs, and a day for cardio (I have to get to the gym to keep from going crazy) but you may want to throw some more lifts in there. It seems like you only have the minimum amount of workouts to really get anywhere. If you're a beginner it's fine, but once you get used to it, I'd throw some more lifts in there (esp. clean and jerk for your shoulder/back day...probably one of the best mass builders from my experience)
    We fight til no one can fight us
    We live, and no one can stop us
    We pull but we're pushed too far
    And the advantage is, The bottom line is,
    We never had to fight in the first place,
    We only had to spit back in their face,
    We won't walk alone any longer,
    What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.

Originally Posted by blong4133 View Post
    If you're a beginner it's fine, but once you get used to it, I'd throw some more lifts in there (esp. clean and jerk for your shoulder/back day...probably one of the best mass builders from my experience)
    Thanks. Apart from the clean on the shoulder/back day, do you have any suggestions on other lifts?

Originally Posted by Shermanatorx View Post
    You should look into Starting Strength. It's considered one of the best routines for a beginner, you can't go wrong with it.
    Thanks