socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) socalchopper has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Weight Lifting WILL NOT Stunt Growth

Hello everybody,

I've seen 2 threads about this, so I decided to research it and provide PROOF that weight lifting doesn't stund growth. The evidence presented here is from medical/scientific journals, books, and other trusted sources. I'm not going to use the obvious argument that millions of people lift weights and don't experience any problems with growth, because for some people apparently that's not convincing enough. This is all based on scientific data legitimately collected in accepted studies, here it goes:

journals.lww*com/cjsportsmed/Abstract/2006/11000/Weight_Training_in_Youth_Growth,_Maturation,_and.5 .aspx
    (i can't post links change the * to a .)
    [also there is a space after the 5 and before the .aspx at the end that i can't get to go away so when you put it it make sure you delete that space or else the link wont work]

Conclusion: Experimental training protocols with weights and resistance machines and with supervision and low instructor/participant ratios are relatively safe and do not negatively impact growth and maturation of pre- and early-pubertal youth.
    books.google*com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=mpUzhYGnN-UC&oi=fnd&pg=PA1&dq=teenage+weight+lifting+stunt+g rowth&ots=3kbd9bk34g&sig=93FL2IqH7yGUSixLlhe-Y_bPNIA#v=onepage&q=stunt&f=false
    (again replace * with .)

paraphrase: weightlifting for kids stunting growth is a myth

and here is even a link from our favorite website, bodybuilder dot com

teenbodybuilding*com/derek42.htm
    (*=.)

The biggest concern amongst parents as well as children is whether strength training will stunt the child's growth. This is a common public belief. Is this belief true or just a myth? Science proves it is a myth.
    and I'll give you one more resource

journal.ccsenet*org/index.php/ies/article/view/3317/2982

A common concern for youth strength training is the belief that this exercise method can damage growth plates. Growth
    plates are made up of a layer of cartilage near the end of a bone where bone growth occurs. Although a few cases have
    been reported, there is no current evidence indicating structural damage due to strength training in adolescents. In fact, the
    American College of Sports Medicine states the main risk for these injuries are due to a lack of supervision and improper
    lifting.
    The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the National
    Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA) support children's participation in appropriately designed and
    competently supervised strength training programs. Benefits include increasing the muscular strength of children and
    children's muscular endurance, body composition and sports performance improvements.
    That should be enough trusted sources to convince your parents and anyone else that weight lifting not only doesn't stunt growth, but is beneficial. All sources were found using Google Scholar and there are plenty more that you can find, I just don't feel like adding any more sources.

Hope that helps, I will try and go back to add the links when I have over 30 posts, or if a staff member of this forum could edit this post and put in the links for me it would be appreciated.