Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000)

Pain in shoulder - what's my next move?

Hey!

Couple weeks ago i started to feel some pain in my shoulder. I pushed through it and since it only was noticeable on my chest day(Monday) i worked out as normal that week(five times). The week after the pain was more noticeable while doing DB Flys, so i skipped that exercise and moved on to DB Press, when I also felt pain doing that I drove home and decided to take two weeks without any lifting.

It happens mainly when I'm doing flyes on flat bench. My right shoulder just quits. Its not hurting much, but I just can't push it. The dumbbell in my left hand goes right up, while the right stops. I have the same problem while doing db press, but its not as bad as when im doing flyes. My right arm is now also much weaker in biceps curl, than my left arm.

The pain seems to be on the back-side of my shoulder.

The plan was to go back to lifting next week, as I expected it to have healed by then. But i still feel that there are something wrong, and I'm not even lifting... Like when I drink i hold the bottle like over my mouth and i feel a little pain in my shoulder.

What is my next step? Should I go see my doctor?

Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Joni89 View Post
    Should I go see my doctor?
    That would sound wise.

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Not a bad idea to have an ortho look at it and get some diagnostics done.

While you're scheduling that, I'd try to find somebody who can work the tissue a bit. You could just be tight and too internally rotated (like most who love to work the chest). Some loosening of pec minor and your thoracic spine could give your shoulder more room.

I'd also take time to do some rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer work in the meantime. Do more "pulling" via rows with strict form. External rotation, scapular retraction, and depression.

KY

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by kyoun1e View Post
    Not a bad idea to have an ortho look at it and get some diagnostics done.

While you're scheduling that, I'd try to find somebody who can work the tissue a bit. You could just be tight and too internally rotated (like most who love to work the chest). Some loosening of pec minor and your thoracic spine could give your shoulder more room.

I'd also take time to do some rotator cuff and scapular stabilizer work in the meantime. Do more "pulling" via rows with strict form. External rotation, scapular retraction, and depression.

KY
    All sound advice. Avoid anything that hurts, ice it up 2-3X a day, take an anti-inflammatory like Aleve. This should get you some relief, but do get it looked at just to be safe.

BG
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by beachguy498 View Post
    All sound advice. Avoid anything that hurts, ice it up 2-3X a day, take an anti-inflammatory like Aleve. This should get you some relief, but do get it looked at just to be safe.

BG
    joint supps should help you out
    Fitness Means Power!

Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000) Joni89 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for all the help guys!

Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Madevilz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by powerpressure View Post
    joint supps should help you out
    I wouldn't rely on joint supps, they help but, I find them better for prevention rather than repair.

Ready To Kick Ass at 40 kyoun1e's Avatar
    kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50) kyoun1e will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
    I wouldn't rely on joint supps, they help but, I find them better for prevention rather than repair.
    Joint supps are a no brainer. Part of your training foundation.

Seems like there are a lot of similar shoulder questions around here. In general, based on my experience, here would be my plan of attack with any injury:

Phase I -- Rest 2 weeks. Ice for 15-20 minutes several times per day. Take anti-inflamatories.

Phase II -- Before going to lousy orthos who usually want to cut you open at the drop of a hat, first find a manual orthopedic therapist / ART guy / etc. who can maybe identify muscular imbalances. Loosen up one area. Strengthen another. Do some RC work. See if there's improvement after another two weeks. So you don't have to...

Phase III -- ...Breakdown and visit the ortho. Get diagnostics ordered. MRI arthogram. X-Ray. EMG / Cervical Spine / Brachial Plexus MRI if pain is "nervy."

Phase IV -- Decision time. Surgery or serious physical therapy program.

KY

powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) powerpressure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Madevilz View Post
    They do repair joints. Several times Move Free Double Strength helped me fix severe and moderate shoulder joint pain (minus 90 lbs in bench press). In 2 weeks my joints were as new and healthy as before! Yeah, you gotta take joint supps to prevent joint injuries especially when benching heavy! But they either can help you out with joint problems.

I also noticed that you have better lifting results if you add joint supps to your daily stack!
    Fitness Means Power!

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by powerpressure View Post
    They do repair joints. Several times Move Free Double Strength helped me fix severe and moderate shoulder joint pain (minus 90 lbs in bench press). In 2 weeks my joints were as new and healthy as before! Yeah, you gotta take joint supps to prevent joint injuries especially when benching heavy! But they either can help you out with joint problems.

I also noticed that you have better lifting results if you add joint supps to your daily stack!
    I agree with your thinking. I encourage individuals to use joint supplements as part of their daily regime - those that have been researched, has merit and "has shown" to be of some benefit. However, they will not repair joints that are degenerated and/or structurally damaged, I wish they could.

Knowledge of the shoulder, it's anatomy, and how it works is paramont. Prevention of shoulder injuries are crucial, which is done through education. Identifying and correction of muscle imbalances, as KY pointed out, are necessary for longevity in the weight room.

Benching heavy does come with a price, maybe not now, but later. Speaking for myself, heavy lifting has done more damage than good as I get older. What you do now has serious ramifications later. Lift smart and provide your body and muscles time to rest.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SnakeE117 View Post
    Benching heavy does come with a price, maybe not now, but later...heavy lifting has done more damage than good ... Lift smart and provide your body and muscles time to rest.
    There's no telling how many times I was told this when I was younger and of course I didn't listen.

SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SnakeE117 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    There's no telling how many times I was told this when I was younger and of course I didn't listen.
    mslman71:

Hi buddy! Same here. Hope your doing well.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SnakeE117 View Post
    mslman71:

Hi buddy! Same here. Hope your doing well.
    Purty good, pain's about gone for the time being, and I think my ROM is improving ever so slightly. My PT has not been particularly helpful (too dead set on following ye ol granny protocol). I think I'm going to go with ART and see if I can get some help around/through these soft blocks. I want to be as ship shape as possible to maximize time until surgery, and then have the best possible prognosis coming out of it.

Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Purty good, pain's about gone for the time being, and I think my ROM is improving ever so slightly. My PT has not been particularly helpful (too dead set on following ye ol granny protocol). I think I'm going to go with ART and see if I can get some help around/through these soft blocks. I want to be as ship shape as possible to maximize time until surgery, and then have the best possible prognosis coming out of it.
    mslman71:

Good to hear progress in the making! You're quite the trooper. Keep me posted!!