Page 92 of 171 FirstFirst ... 42 82 90 91 92 93 94 102 142 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 5128
    neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by thatswhatshesed View Post
    Hey man, you have a few misconceptions of starting strength. It's not slow progress. Its some of the fast actually, as each week/ workout your adding a few pounds on each lift constantly.
    Don't just go around doing "random excersises for 8-15 reps" and not keep track. this is how you get in the loop of making 0 progress. Lift in the size building rep range. thats why you are here, isnt it? aim 6-8 reps a heavy weight. You really need to start logging every workout. Each workout i tell my self "ATLEAST 1 more rep, or a higher weight for the same reps". Dont settle for less. Potential injuries from lifting heavy? like what, having more muscle mass and stronger stabilizers? just make sure you use right form. And yes, "eating big everytime" is sustainable. Been eating around 3600 cals/day for the past 8 months or so.

Honestly, it sounds like your not dedicated enough to making progress. I am not hating, i am trying to help. If you are really serious about lifting, become a bit more dedicated, and stop wasting workouts in the incorrect rep range and not eating enough.
    Are you saying that the size building rep range is 6-8? I thought size building, aka hypertrophy, was the 8-12 rep range. Is it not?
    bulk
    start: january 2012 64 kg/141 lbs
    current: 70 kg/154 lbs

orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by neklobomex View Post
    The thing is that I don't really see any more muscle mass and I don't feel stronger. I have also put on a little bit of belly fat (not 13 lbs in the belly though I don't think). The first month I did all exercises with very low weights. Then I messed around with machines and didn't really know what I was doing. Started reading a lot about bodybuilding. I just recently started doing the push-pull-legs split routine. I did that for only a few sessions. Got the idea from the Hodge twins. Yesterday I switched to SS because I hear some people say the Hodge twins aren't always reliable in this field. There is a lot of info about SS and Mark Rippetoe seems to get praised more than the Hodge twins. That's why I switched. Also because there are many others doing it, which may be an advantage if I want help. And there is the book and the DVD about SS if I want to buy those some time. The only thing that bothers me is that there is perhaps a little too much information about SS. Like that long-ass thread here on bb.com e.g. But for now I'm just doing the routine. Haven't read all the info on it yet.
    That's one thing no one tells we skinny folks. When I started off I thought 15lbs would make a visible difference - I am up more than 25lbs now and I still don't look much bigger though my body has filled out. Whatever increase in size I've seen and felt is only after I got past 145lbs, every 2-3lb gain here on will start showing. My shirts are fitting better and I can't fit into most of my trousers, there's been some fat around midsection but most of the lower body gains seem to be around the glutes and quads. For your frame of 6' 1" don't expect to look bigger till you get past the 165-170lb range

Going by your routine (or the lack of it so far) you look like an equally good candidate as I was to get onto SS. Do read the book, I am done with 3 readings but still keep going back once in a while for finer points. A little bit of smart googling should get you to the book (though Rip would be much happier and deservedly so if you ordered it from him). If you found the threads on SS here longish, the book is 220+ pages of solid content

neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) neklobomex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just wanted to share this truly inspirational video with you guys.

3-year transformation

he says he's an ectomorph

www dot youtube dot com slash watch?v=NTfRSVfbWeI
    bulk

Registered User thatswhatshesed's Avatar
    thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Are you saying that the size building rep range is 6-8? I thought size building, aka hypertrophy, was the 8-12 rep range. Is it not?
    not 100% sure, i was just ball parking it, (i usually do 8 myself), but that rep range is probably fine too! i'll research this a bit more later and get back to you
    Certified GIF reactionist

++Positive Crew++

Reps back

themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just wanted to share this truly inspirational video with you guys.

3-year transformation

he says he's an ectomorph

www dot youtube dot com slash watch?v=NTfRSVfbWeI
    Black genetics... no hating, took hard work for sure, but their genetics are typically more superior than most.

Tribal men in africa who havent touched a weight in their life are more shredded than the average gym goer.
    Work in progress.

Originally Posted by themg3 View Post
    Black genetics... no hating, took hard work for sure, but their genetics are typically more superior than most.

Tribal men in africa who havent touched a weight in their life are more shredded than the average gym goer.
    I've heard this about black people before and it seems to be true. But this is just generally. There are exceptions of course as you know. This guy was 148 lbs at 6'2" which probably is considered skinny.
    bulk

themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) themg3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've heard this about black people before and it seems to be true. But this is just generally. There are exceptions of course as you know. This guy was 148 lbs at 6'2" which probably is considered skinny.
    Yes no doubting he put in time and dedication.

Just stating it was probably "easier" for him to put on all that size in that amount of time simply due to his biology.

Again no hating on him, trying to imply that for most overs who started where he was (i.e. me; 140lbs 6'1), itll take a tad longer than 3 years to achieve that physique and solid weight.
    Work in progress.

ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    To all the skinnies, stick with it, I'm probably pushing almost 8 years of progress since I started lifting weights. Having gained a good 50-60 lbs since starting all those years ago. I always was the skinny/pale/scrawny kid growing up. With dedication, great transformations are possible and I encourage everyone to stay consistent and keep pushing that weight. Whether you're perusing bodybuilding or just want to get in shape, don't give up just because you feel you're too skinny or don't have the genetics, keep pushing.

B.S. Exercise Science
    L1 Crossfit Certified Trainer
    NPC Bodybuilding Competitor
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    AI Sports Nutrition Rep (PM me for free samples/log opportunities!)
    www.aisportsnutrition.com
    20% off TestoPRO: 20PERTPRO
    Buy 2 Get 1 Free DAA
    B1G1 Green Coffee Bean Extract
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Male Bber of the Week
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/earl_hayes.htm
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Originally Posted by ehayes View Post
    To all the skinnies, stick with it, I'm probably pushing almost 8 years of progress since I started lifting weights. Having gained a good 50-60 lbs since starting all those years ago. I always was the skinny/pale/scrawny kid growing up. With dedication, great transformations are possible and I encourage everyone to stay consistent and keep pushing that weight. Whether you're perusing bodybuilding or just want to get in shape, don't give up just because you feel you're too skinny or don't have the genetics, keep pushing.
    That's a great transformation. But in that first picture, if that's your before picture then I don't think you were particularly skinny then. Not compared to me.
    bulk

ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ehayes is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    That's a great transformation. But in that first picture, if that's your before picture then I don't think you were particularly skinny then. Not compared to me.
    I had been lifting for maybe about 6 months or so in the first pic, though its about as good as a before pic as I have anymore to compare to. Everyone starts at different points, you're also taller than me so you have more to fill out as well, though if you quit now you'll never know what size you may have been capable of achieving. You've put on weight already, just keep using that as motivation to push yourself further, because if you don't push yourself then no one will.
    B.S. Exercise Science
    L1 Crossfit Certified Trainer
    NPC Bodybuilding Competitor
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    AI Sports Nutrition Rep (PM me for free samples/log opportunities!)
    www.aisportsnutrition.com
    20% off TestoPRO: 20PERTPRO
    Buy 2 Get 1 Free DAA
    B1G1 Green Coffee Bean Extract
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Male Bber of the Week
    www.bodybuilding.com/fun/earl_hayes.htm
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

seenboy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey,

i have always been skinny my whole life . I now only weigh 105 lbs . I've decide to change this. I ve been working out on a good bulking program for the past week. I am looking for a good diet plan to follow that will help me gain some good weight . Can any1 help me out?

Originally Posted by seenboy View Post
    hey,

i have always been skinny my whole life . I now only weigh 105 lbs . I've decide to change this. I ve been working out on a good bulking program for the past week. I am looking for a good diet plan to follow that will help me gain some good weight . Can any1 help me out?
    Eat 6 meals per day evenly spread out throughout the day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and 3 snacks. Make sure you consume more calories than you burn and that you get the right percentage of your calories from protein, carbs and fat respectively. To help you with all this you might want to try one of the services listed here:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=119482931

Also make sure you drink enough water and eat enough fruit and vegetables. About a gallon of water per day and about at least 5-6 fruits and/or vegetables per day.

When you track your weight look at the trend rather than changes from one day to another.
    bulk

Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello my brothers! It's great to see there are so many like-minded people around.

Long time bb lurker here but I've finally decided to started an account and share my story.

Like so many of us here, I was called many names like skinny, twig, scrawny. Even my parents gave me the nickname 'chopstick'. At 60kg and 182cm, my BMI was classified as borderline underweight. Since I am asian, my frame is also smaller, which made it worse. Every time I looked in the mirror, I was disgusted.

In 2002, I signed up for my first gym membership, determined to build a better body. It has been 10 long years and many mistakes were made. I worked with weights that I was comfortable with, never pushing myself harder. I focused on exercise and ignored my diet. I didn't let my body get the proper rest. I did the easy exercises and avoided the difficult ones. I relied on momentum instead of proper form.

For all the time and effort I put in at the beginning, there were barely any gains to show. It was seriously demoralizing but it made me aware of what I was doing wrong and I began to learn from these valuable lessons and improve. I experimented and adapted. I watched and learned. I became more aware of what I was doing wrong and focused on doing it right. Slowly but surely, I got bigger and stronger.

Now? I am at a healthy weight of 76kg with good muscle mass, and my next goal is 80kg and shredded. Compliments are regularly given and I've caught many looks from strangers, especially the ladies, which is really motivating.

Am I happy? Hell yes! Am I satisfied? No way! There's still a long road ahead. My journey has been long but every step so far has been worth it. My goal is to be an inspiration to others.

To my fellow brothers that are struggling on their journey, don't give up. Remember the reason why you are here, and use that as your driving force to overcome all obstacles in your path. Be open to new ideas and don't be afraid to try something new, even though it may seem harder at first. Don't be afraid of making mistakes because within every mistake is an important lesson waiting to be learnt. It will be tough, and for some of us, your journey will be longer than others. But don't give up. Constantly push yourself outside of your comfort zone and your body will grow. Be comfortable with being uncomfortable. There will come a day when you will look back at what you have done, and know that all the effort you have put in has been worth it. Be a bigger, stronger, better you.
    Why I do it: Because I know that everytime I walk out of my gym, I have become a little bit stronger, bigger, better than when I walked in.

It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
    - Rocky Balboa

The worst thing I can be is the same as everyone else. I hate that.
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Originally Posted by Grys View Post
    Hello my brothers! It's great to see there are so many like-minded people around.

Long time bb lurker here but I've finally decided to started an account and share my story.

Like so many of us here, I was called many names like skinny, twig, scrawny. Even my parents gave me the nickname 'chopstick'. At 60kg and 182cm, my BMI was classified as borderline underweight. Since I am asian, my frame is also smaller, which made it worse. Every time I looked in the mirror, I was disgusted.

In 2002, I signed up for my first gym membership, determined to build a better body. It has been 10 long years and many mistakes were made. I worked with weights that I was comfortable with, never pushing myself harder. I focused on exercise and ignored my diet. I didn't let my body get the proper rest. I did the easy exercises and avoided the difficult ones. I relied on momentum instead of proper form.

For all the time and effort I put in at the beginning, there were barely any gains to show. It was seriously demoralizing but it made me aware of what I was doing wrong and I began to learn from these valuable lessons and improve. I experimented and adapted. I watched and learned. I became more aware of what I was doing wrong and focused on doing it right. Slowly but surely, I got bigger and stronger.

Now? I am at a healthy weight of 76kg with good muscle mass, and my next goal is 80kg and shredded. Compliments are regularly given and I've caught many looks from strangers, especially the ladies, which is really motivating.

Am I happy? Hell yes! Am I satisfied? No way! There's still a long road ahead. My journey has been long but every step so far has been worth it. My goal is to be an inspiration to others.

To my fellow brothers that are struggling on their journey, don't give up. Remember the reason why you are here, and use that as your driving force to overcome all obstacles in your path. Be open to new ideas and don't be afraid to try something new, even though it may seem harder at first. Don't be afraid of making mistakes because within every mistake is an important lesson waiting to be learnt. It will be tough, and for some of us, your journey will be longer than others. But don't give up. Constantly push yourself outside of your comfort zone and your body will grow. Be comfortable with being uncomfortable. There will come a day when you will look back at what you have done, and know that all the effort you have put in has been worth it. Be a bigger, stronger, better you.
    If you had known what you know today when you started, how much time do you think you could have achieved the same results in?

Also, so that we don't make the mistakes you made, could you tell us some important points that we should know apart from those you mentioned?
    bulk

leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100) leviterande is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Suckmykiss View Post
    You guys got this. Consistency is the key.
    This, in the end of the day its the years of work that add muscle really..

kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Hey man, you have a few misconceptions of starting strength. It's not slow progress. Its some of the fast actually, as each week/ workout your adding a few pounds on each lift constantly.
    I know but what about the injuries? Again its hard for me to find someone out there to watch for me. I can't find a workout buddy! I did a heavier squat at one point. It was odd I can't feel it in my legs. I did feel badly on my back. Wrong form! Probably! Its hard to accomplish this when your doing by yourself!
    Don't just go around doing "random excersises for 8-15 reps" and not keep track. this is how you get in the loop of making 0 progress. Lift in the size building rep range. thats why you are here, isnt it? aim 6-8 reps a heavy weight.
    I am well aware of this! I am going to log my workouts! My problem is that by time I come from work I usually sleep for an hour, then eat, then go the gym. By the time I get there I usually would have forgotten what workout plan I should get into. And then form w/ the billions of possible exercises that you can do for your self its hard to remember what to do especially if the gym don't have wifi in them!
    I know SS is just squats, d-lifts, shoulder press and pull ups right? If you can accomplish a 5x5 on that you need to increase weight right?
    I also feel that its too simple loL! But then again what do I know!
    Potential injuries from lifting heavy? like what, having more muscle mass and stronger stabilizers?
    LIke your back hurting after you do it! I might have to check if I have a kidney problem though!
    "eating big everytime" is sustainable. Been eating around 3600 cals/day for the past 8 months or so.
    Good 4 u I personally can't cook for my own. And please don't force me, I have long hours of work. The last thing I wanna bother is to mess up a kitchen and having nothing to eat because I don't know how to cook! I know its hard for American's to imagine how "hard" for someone to be unable to consume 3600 cal a day! Because I know in America alot people are obese, but here in the Philippines, seeing big fat American's is a sight to see because for sure no one eat as much you guys do!
    3600 cals day right how many times do you have to eat a day? Again I feel that the path to succeeding on bodybuilding is too rigid! Some people have work! Some people can't cook! Some people do not have the time to eat 6 meals in day, trust me its not easy consuming 3600 in 2-3 sets of sitting!
    I've been trying to do caloric counting using mydiary.net on my iphone. My problem is that I can't get accurate results on the foods that I am eating! I've even gone made sure I put a food scale at my table and painstakingly weight them in before I eat them!
    Honestly, it sounds like your not dedicated enough to making progress. I am not hating, i am trying to help. If you are really serious about lifting, become a bit more dedicated, and stop wasting workouts in the incorrect rep range and not eating enough.
    Maybe your right! I haven't been as completely technical w/ my workouts. Its honestly hard cause alot people in this country DO NOT DIET believe it or not! Diet is something that people get into for a couple days, then quit. Exercise is something people get into a couple a days and when result to arrive they quit. So its hard to find an actual dude in my gym that had a good body but didn't have good genetics to begin with!

rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rdang has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Did Crossfit over the weekend for the first time. Wow - what a workout and it was just the first intro class. Anyone else have experience with it? I've got a feeling that it's great for muscle building as it's a whole body workout.

thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500) thatswhatshesed is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by kris2pe View Post
    I know but what about the injuries? Again its hard for me to find someone out there to watch for me. I can't find a workout buddy! I did a heavier squat at one point. It was odd I can't feel it in my legs. I did feel badly on my back. Wrong form! Probably! Its hard to accomplish this when your doing by yourself!

I am well aware of this! I am going to log my workouts! My problem is that by time I come from work I usually sleep for an hour, then eat, then go the gym. By the time I get there I usually would have forgotten what workout plan I should get into. And then form w/ the billions of possible exercises that you can do for your self its hard to remember what to do especially if the gym don't have wifi in them!
    I know SS is just squats, d-lifts, shoulder press and pull ups right? If you can accomplish a 5x5 on that you need to increase weight right?
    I also feel that its too simple loL! But then again what do I know!

LIke your back hurting after you do it! I might have to check if I have a kidney problem though!

Good 4 u I personally can't cook for my own. And please don't force me, I have long hours of work. The last thing I wanna bother is to mess up a kitchen and having nothing to eat because I don't know how to cook! I know its hard for American's to imagine how "hard" for someone to be unable to consume 3600 cal a day! Because I know in America alot people are obese, but here in the Philippines, seeing big fat American's is a sight to see because for sure no one eat as much you guys do!
    3600 cals day right how many times do you have to eat a day? Again I feel that the path to succeeding on bodybuilding is too rigid! Some people have work! Some people can't cook! Some people do not have the time to eat 6 meals in day, trust me its not easy consuming 3600 in 2-3 sets of sitting!
    I've been trying to do caloric counting using mydiary.net on my iphone. My problem is that I can't get accurate results on the foods that I am eating! I've even gone made sure I put a food scale at my table and painstakingly weight them in before I eat them!

Maybe your right! I haven't been as completely technical w/ my workouts. Its honestly hard cause alot people in this country DO NOT DIET believe it or not! Diet is something that people get into for a couple days, then quit. Exercise is something people get into a couple a days and when result to arrive they quit. So its hard to find an actual dude in my gym that had a good body but didn't have good genetics to begin with!
    hey, thanks for responding, and actually listening! im going to link you to starting strength. Its a bit of a read, but it will hopefully answer all your questions i cant. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...=998224&page=1 <--- there it is. Also, i hear what you are saying about diet; its hard! i am in university right now, so have lots of free time to eat. i imagine its really hard at a job though. Maybe a weight gainer shake could help here, as its cheap calories, and easy to get in. I've never used them myself though.

In response to your pains and risk of injury, they must be form related. If you have a camera, why not try again, and upload a video here so we can critique your tenchnique? this is always helpful to catch things you may not notice ur doing wrong.

Lastly, if you cant remember your workouts, just write them out before hand. i carry around a little notebook, and write down what im going to do before hand, so i dont get off track.

Lastly, i laughed at " I know in America alot people are obese, but here in the Philippines, seeing big fat American's is a sight to see because for sure no one eat as much you guys do! "
    Personally, im from Canada, but know what you mean. Warning: only eat this much if ur training really hard! this is not for people who sit on the couch. otherwise we will become overweight haha.

Let me know if u have any other questions/ comments, glad to help

++Positive Crew++

Reps back

Great insight man. I have a similiar journey, but on a shorter timeline. Repped.

++Positive Crew++

Reps back

orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50) orca23554 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Managed to find some pics of myself about an year ago, progress does show and I don't look like a pathetic, malnourished chap anymore. Recent and these old pics side by side, the gains do show - that gets my motivation back on track!

Progress on lifts is slowing down though, not able to make progress every workout on SS. It's now more like how much more am I lifting compared to the previous week, Deadlift is the only exercise where I am able to pack on 7-10lbs more every workout. Time to focus on the diet and push myself to eat more - frankly I don't think I am even hitting 3000 cals on an average everyday. So there goes my false notion all these days that I am a hard gainer.....I was a lazy ass who was too beta to take charge and make some changes

I will stick to SS for some more time because I think the routine is enforcing the discipline that BBing is all about pushing yourself every time you walk in, you may not better your lifts every time but you at least gotta match up to your last best effort. I see some jokers around me in the gym who can't even bench 90lbs and have been lifting for more than 2 years - last thing I wanna be is someone who's fooling himself thinking he's "working out"

Short Term targets (< 2 months)

Squat - 1.25x BW
    Bench - 0.8x BW
    OHP - atleast 0.65x BW
    Rows - Equal to bench
    Deadlift - 1.5x BW

I know these are low but will still be an improvement over where I am today. Will be content to get past 160lbs on BW which will be 10lbs off my target when I first started lifting in Nov last year

Already been one hell of a ride and I don't intend to stop anytime soon!

motoaction132 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up making progress

Hey everyone I've been looking around this forum for the past 4 months and have learned so Many important things. I am 6'1 and have always struggled get above 140lbs. In fact I never did. Four months ago I was 135lbs only skin and bone, now after 4 months of hard work I have made my way up.to 170 in the morning (175 before bed). I owe it all to.this great forum. Of course a lot of those lbs were fat, but my body has filled out immensely. I can't post pictures yet but have many on hand that are the exact same pose/same angle and lighting and place. I feel this is the only way to see precisely what gains you have made. In another 2 month's or so I will post up my 6 months progress. Looking to be 180lbs Then I can finally start my first cut. Great work everyone! Thanks for showing me it is definitely possible

Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Grys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you had known what you know today when you started, how much time do you think you could have achieved the same results in?

Also, so that we don't make the mistakes you made, could you tell us some important points that we should know apart from those you mentioned?
    Honestly, some of the biggest gains I've seen have happened over the past 6 months. If I was to start from the very beginning again, I truly believe I can achieve my present results within a year.

To build on what I said earlier, here are some more lessons that I have learnt and would like to share:

1) Do not sacrifice form for heavier weights
    This is one of the most important lessons for me. Learn how to do each exercise the right way. Feel yourself controlling the weight fully, as you bring it up and down, instead of letting momentum or gravity take control. This will allow you to feel the full effect of rep you do. Even if it means reducing the weight that you normally work with, do it. Swinging the weight may make it seem easier for you to handle heavier weights, which may give you an ego boost. But you are not allowing your body to fully benefit from your effort, and that is just a waste of time. Sooner or later, working out the wrong way will lead to injury, and that will make your journey even harder.

2) Know the difference between good pain and bad pain
    Good pain is the strain you feel when you are exhausted and struggling to get through those last few reps. Bad pain is when your body screams in agony because you are doing something wrong. Good pain is when you push harder. Bad pain is when you stop. Listen to your body.

3) Experiment and find out what works for you
    Every individual is different. What works for one person may not be suitable for another. For example, many people say that using dumbbells for chest exercises have given them great results, but I feel that I get a better pump when working with cable machines for my chest. Don't be afraid to experiment with different routines to find the one that is suitable for you.

4) Don't neglect your weakness
    Admit it and face it. Everyone of us has a weakness. Losers ignore it or run away from it. Winners overcome their weakness and are able to turn it into their strengths. Back during my school days, I had to do chin ups as one of the requirements for a physical fitness test. For years, I couldn't do a single chin up. Every time I look at that chin up bar, I could feel the fear welling up inside me. Even now, that fear still exists but I don't let it stop me from pumping out 6 sets of 10 reps. It will take time to conquer your weakness, but persistence is the key. Know what is your weakness, train it and overcome it.

5) Find your motivators
    There will be days when you won't feel like training and may need a little something extra to drive you. Look for something to give you more motivation. It can a picture, quote, video, person etc. Whatever it is, this object should give you a sense of empowerment and focus. I keep a bunch of powerful videos and music on my phone. I play them everytime I am in the gym and it helps me stay focused. This is my secret weapon and can be yours too.

That is all for now. Hope this info has been useful for you guys.
    Why I do it: Because I know that everytime I walk out of my gym, I have become a little bit stronger, bigger, better than when I walked in.

It ain't about how hard you hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!
    - Rocky Balboa

The worst thing I can be is the same as everyone else. I hate that.
    - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Honestly, some of the biggest gains I've seen have happened over the past 6 months. If I was to start from the very beginning again, I truly believe I can achieve my present results within a year.

To build on what I said earlier, here are some more lessons that I have learnt and would like to share:

1) Do not sacrifice form for heavier weights
    This is one of the most important lessons for me. Learn how to do each exercise the right way. Feel yourself controlling the weight fully, as you bring it up and down, instead of letting momentum or gravity take control. This will allow you to feel the full effect of rep you do. Even if it means reducing the weight that you normally work with, do it. Swinging the weight may make it seem easier for you to handle heavier weights, which may give you an ego boost. But you are not allowing your body to fully benefit from your effort, and that is just a waste of time. Sooner or later, working out the wrong way will lead to injury, and that will make your journey even harder.

2) Know the difference between good pain and bad pain
    Good pain is the strain you feel when you are exhausted and struggling to get through those last few reps. Bad pain is when your body screams in agony because you are doing something wrong. Good pain is when you push harder. Bad pain is when you stop. Listen to your body.

3) Experiment and find out what works for you
    Every individual is different. What works for one person may not be suitable for another. For example, many people say that using dumbbells for chest exercises have given them great results, but I feel that I get a better pump when working with cable machines for my chest. Don't be afraid to experiment with different routines to find the one that is suitable for you.

4) Don't neglect your weakness
    Admit it and face it. Everyone of us has a weakness. Losers ignore it or run away from it. Winners overcome their weakness and are able to turn it into their strengths. Back during my school days, I had to do chin ups as one of the requirements for a physical fitness test. For years, I couldn't do a single chin up. Every time I look at that chin up bar, I could feel the fear welling up inside me. Even now, that fear still exists but I don't let it stop me from pumping out 6 sets of 10 reps. It will take time to conquer your weakness, but persistence is the key. Know what is your weakness, train it and overcome it.

5) Find your motivators
    There will be days when you won't feel like training and may need a little something extra to drive you. Look for something to give you more motivation. It can a picture, quote, video, person etc. Whatever it is, this object should give you a sense of empowerment and focus. I keep a bunch of powerful videos and music on my phone. I play them everytime I am in the gym and it helps me stay focused. This is my secret weapon and can be yours too.

That is all for now. Hope this info has been useful for you guys.
    great stuff. thanks
    bulk

DeanTye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile First Post On BB Forum

After a couple of weeks of reading through the Bodybuilding.com forums and specifically this thread, I finally felt like it was time to post. I've been really encouraged seeing all the transformation from fellow (and former) skinny people on this thread and it's motivated me even more to step up my game. I was always pretty skinny, although before I read this thread I would've said very skinny, my whole life. I was 6'1'' and around 150LBS for the last couple of years and decided over a year ago that never going to the gym was not a sustainable practice, so I decided to get a personal trainer and start working out 2 -3 days a week. While that was certainly a step in the right direction in terms of just getting in the gym and becoming familiar with all the exercises, I found myself not gaining much weight/muscle at all and although I was getting a bit stronger, the gains weren't really showing. Why you ask? Simply because I wasn't eating NEARLY enough, in fact, I was so concerned about eating clean (almost Vegan, but not 100%), I simply was flushing all that money for personal training sessions down the drain (although my trainer is the man).

It's only been a little over 2 weeks since I've started reading this thread and understanding about my Macros (which my trainer would always preach, I was just too concerned about overall health to realize that I need to eat more than just kale smoothie, quinoa salads and low-fat yogurt), I've upped my workouts to 5 - 6 days a week and eating a ton more (somewhere around 3000+ calories, 200g+ Carbs, 200g+ Protein - currently at 6'1'' and 172 LBS). I still have trouble micro-manging the exact amount of Macros I'm taking in since I eat a lot of prepared food, but I'm pretty sure I'm hitting my marks since in the last 2 weeks I've gained around 7 LBS and have been able to up my weights each time in the gym.

So, I know I still have a LONG way to go and a lot of work to do each and every day whether it be eating/lifting/educating myself, but I have to thank this thread in particular, along with my trainer, for finally getting me on the right track towards my goals. I will be posting my workouts soon, I'm just waiting for my trainer to send me my workout history in the next couple of days. I hope in the next couple of months I can show off what hard work and eating right (which in this case is MORE, MORE, MORE) can do and be as inspirational as you guys have been for me. I can't post pictures or links yet since this is my 1st post, but I guess you can check my profile if you want to see what I look like (unless you know of a way I can post, sorry but first time on this forum and not sure how everything works yet).

PS - I know how expensive it is to use a trainer each time I go to the gym especially now that I'm in 5 -6 days/week, but I have terrible body depth perception being so lanky, so I really need someone there to make sure I'm keeping form and to keep me on my path. As long as I can keep affording to do it (which right now I can), I'm going to stick with it, but hopefully when I get stronger and more confident in my motions I can lower it to 3 - 4 days with a trainer and try some days on my own.
    Last edited by DeanTye; 04-12-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Typo

kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) kris2pe has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i imagine its really hard at a job though. Maybe a weight gainer shake could help here, as its cheap calories, and easy to get in. I've never used them myself though.
    Well you haven't seen 3rd world working hours!
    Personally, im from Canada, but know what you mean. Warning: only eat this much if ur training really hard! this is not for people who sit on the couch. otherwise we will become overweight haha.
    Still the same! I am aware w/ eating more and training more mantra.
    Let me know if u have any other questions/ comments, glad to help
    My problem w/ heavy weights is that I don't get to feel my muscle into pushing the weights. Not that lighter weights make me better at getting that so called "mind muscle" connection, but I can definitely get that feel if I do it properly! Being dyslexic is already a challenge making that so called mind body connection! My condition hampers my hand eye coordination!
    Am I being too concern about this mind muscle connection deal?

Originally Posted by DeanTye View Post
    I can't post pictures or links yet since this is my 1st post, but I guess you can check my profile if you want to see what I look like (unless you know of a way I can post, sorry but first time on this forum and not sure how everything works yet).
    Welcome to the forum.

You can post links if you leave out "www." at the beginning. You can for example write "www dot" or just leave it out. Don't think you can post pictures though. But you can link to pictures on other sites of course, so you can use a photo sharing site like photobucket or the like if you want to share a photo some time before you've got 50 posts.
    bulk

LeroyFleeroy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Some motivation for you guys, all it takes is dedication and time, I have still got a long way to go, but hopefully this gives others inspiration.

DeanTye has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Welcome to the forum.

You can post links if you leave out "www" at the beginning. You can for example write "www dot" or just leave it out. Don't think you can post pictures though. But you can link to pictures on other sites of course, so you can use a photo sharing site like photobucket or the like if you want to share a photo some time before you've got 50 posts.
    Thanks for the tip. I kind of like the 50 posts minimum since it's good motivation to stay on the forum and post, so I think I'll just wait until I hit 50 posts, that being said 48 to go!
    As of 4/12/12 - In the beginning of transforming my body into something I've always wanted. Trying to eat big, lift big, sleep big and think big. Trying to keep my eye on the prize!

Originally Posted by LeroyFleeroy View Post
    Some motivation for you guys, all it takes is dedication and time, I have still got a long way to go, but hopefully this gives others inspiration.
    Damn good! Time frame? I started at 125lbs and 170lbs is my target BW first up, may not be as defined as you are though but that will set me up for some serious BBing over the medium term

Did you start with a strength routine and then go on to a split or started off with a split?

Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bodmanza will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by rdang View Post
    Did Crossfit over the weekend for the first time. Wow - what a workout and it was just the first intro class. Anyone else have experience with it? I've got a feeling that it's great for muscle building as it's a whole body workout.
    Crossfit from a fitness and health standpoint is probably the best of the best. However, from a pure musclebuilding standpoint (especially for little guys like us) you will be hard pressed to gain mass, as much of your energy is expended with cardio work as well.
    This means you will have to eat that much more to ensure you are feeding your muscles enough.

I am about to go on a cut cycle, where I will want to maintain mass and cut fat, and a modified Crossfit model is what I'll be using.