Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Is it possible to get a body like Arnold had without steroids?

I'm just wondering, if you are very genetically blessed, is it possible to build a physique similar to the one Arnold Schwarzenegger had when he was a bodybuilder, or even when he played Terminator?

From what I've gathered it seems like he only used steroids to maintain muscle mass the last few weeks before competitions, and not to gain mass. Also, he won his first Mr. Olympia at 228 lbs which is certainly not that heavy for a man at 6' 2" of height. Later he was about 240 lbs.

I am 6' 3" myself, and I'd say I have a similar frame to Arnold's, just waaaay less muscular of course. I'm just naturally athletic it seems. I weight about 200 lbs and 8-10% body fat. I don't really work out, but have been physically active so thats why I'm not fat or sloppy. I'm 23 years old. How much work, diet and time would be needed to build myself up to a similar physique, but not heavier than 220 lbs without steroids?

I like the old school body builder types, todays are just gross and colossal, so I definitely don't aim to look anything like that. Is Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding a good book to use to reach my goal?

pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) pweezy2460 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by tittymonkey View Post
    I'm just wondering, if you are very genetically blessed, is it possible to build a physique similar to the one Arnold Schwarzenegger had when he was a bodybuilder, or even when he played Terminator?

From what I've gathered it seems like he only used steroids to maintain muscle mass the last few weeks before competitions, and not to gain mass. Also, he won his first Mr. Olympia at 228 lbs which is certainly not that heavy for a man at 6' 2" of height. Later he was about 240 lbs.

I am 6' 3" myself, and I'd say I have a similar frame to Arnold's, just waaaay less muscular of course. I'm just naturally athletic it seems. I weight about 200 lbs and 8-10% body fat. I don't really work out, but have been physically active so thats why I'm not fat or sloppy. I'm 23 years old. How much work, diet and time would be needed to build myself up to a similar physique, but not heavier than 220 lbs without steroids?

I like the old school body builder types, todays are just gross and colossal, so I definitely don't aim to look anything like that. Is Arnold's encyclopedia of bodybuilding a good book to use to reach my goal?
    My educated guess would be that it would take ALOT... A LOOOOOOT of work/and time to achieve a physique like Arnold.

Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100)
    no (srs)

"This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?"
    - Lance Armstrong

bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000) bigboybigtits is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Originally Posted by Swagson View Post
    no (srs)
    yes it is possible, ur an idiot srs

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A better question is:

Is it possible to get a body like Arnold had with steroids?

The answer is of course still no.

But the key word here is "had"... If you look at him NOW I can think of a rather large number of people who look MUCH better than him at his age.
    The point? Don't use steroids and don't abuse your body, because you aint' getting another one, ever.

Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Realomegablaze is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not possible..

How can you have something like something without all of the ingredients that the something had??

Doesn't work like that..
    FOLLOW ME: http://instagram.com/CocainaBlaze

Calisthenic Crew

Powerlifting Crew

JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000) JaymzZz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Commit your entire life towards BB'ing, train for the next 15 years and take a ton of steroids... then you might look half as good as he did.

K maybe not half, but still... to be at the top, you need the top of all levels: genetics, diet, exercise, dedication and yes, even the juice.

Can you add 20lbs of muscle naturally, however? Yeah, totally. "Being active" isn't the same as dedicated BB'ing, so you shouldn't be too close to your genetic max.
    Last edited by Ryshu; 02-08-2011 at 10:24 PM.

jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When Arnold was 228lb during his competition, he was water depleted and body fat is probably below 5%. He only weighed this weight during the show after that he would pig out and easily gain 10lb by the day. Most bodybuilder are 20 to 40 pound heavier during of season. Arnold could not hold that competition physic for long cause its not healthy. That's why later he was 240lb.
    www.fat-burning-techniques.com

Jay

tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) tittymonkey has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by jaydillera View Post
    When Arnold was 228lb during his competition, he was water depleted and body fat is probably below 5%. He only weighed this weight during the show after that he would pig out and easily gain 10lb by the day. Most bodybuilder are 20 to 40 pound heavier during of season. Arnold could not hold that competition physic for long cause its not healthy. That's why later he was 240lb.
    I meant in later Mr. Olympia's he weighed in at 240 lbs, so he gained quite a lot of muscle from his 1st to his 6th win.

I know it would be almost impossible to look exactly like him, but I was asking about a physique that resembles the one he had, not an exact copy. We all have the same muscles, I just wonder how developed and good I could look if I eventually weighed 220 lbs with around 5% body fat. How many years would it take me. I'm 195-200 lbs now. Same height as Arnold pretty much.

GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GuyJin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Short answer: No.

All the guys then worked hard and juiced up and had fairly good genes although Zane and Columbu did better in many ways as they were less genetically inclined to build muscle. Columbu's blessing was that he was naturally just plain strong, while Zane had an aesthetic although slim build to start with. Nevertheless, they both trained hard and did the best they could with what they had.

Where Arnold had them beat was in the genetics department and the attitude department. He trained harder and longer than anyone. (Whether he needed to train that hard and that often is debatable but that really isn't the point). Steroids: Of course he took them although I don't buy the "six weeks out from competition" line--my feeling is that he, as well as the others, stayed on them a lot longer but at lower doses than what guys take today. I have no proof of that other than observing how Arnold looked most of the year as opposed to the competition day.

As for your goals, OP, FWIW, just train as hard and as smart as you can, eat well, and don't bother trying to emulate Schwarzen-whatsisface. His kind of routine that you see in his books i.e. double-splitting and high volume was only used pre-competition and would kill most of us out here. Even doing six days a week is overkill for most. Just do the best with what you have, maximize what you've got, and give yourself time. If your frame is as good as you say it is, then if you train hard and do everything right, you'll be the best "you" you can be.

But as for looking like Arnold without juicing up, the answer is no.
    "Don't call me Miss Kitty. Just...don't."--Catnip. Check out the Catnip Trilogy on Amazon.com

"Chivalry isn't dead. It just wears a skirt."--Twisted, the YA gender bender deal of the century!

Check out my links to Mr. Taxi, Star Maps, and other fine YA Action/Romance novels at http://www.amazon.com/J.S.-Frankel/e/B004XUUTB8/ref=dp_byline_cont_ebooks_1

jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jaydillera has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by GuyJin View Post
    Short answer: No.

All the guys then worked hard and juiced up and had fairly good genes although Zane and Columbu did better in many ways as they were less genetically inclined to build muscle. Columbu's blessing was that he was naturally just plain strong, while Zane had an aesthetic although slim build to start with. Nevertheless, they both trained hard and did the best they could with what they had.

Where Arnold had them beat was in the genetics department and the attitude department. He trained harder and longer than anyone. (Whether he needed to train that hard and that often is debatable but that really isn't the point). Steroids: Of course he took them although I don't buy the "six weeks out from competition" line--my feeling is that he, as well as the others, stayed on them a lot longer but at lower doses than what guys take today. I have no proof of that other than observing how Arnold looked most of the year as opposed to the competition day.

As for your goals, OP, FWIW, just train as hard and as smart as you can, eat well, and don't bother trying to emulate Schwarzen-whatsisface. His kind of routine that you see in his books i.e. double-splitting and high volume was only used pre-competition and would kill most of us out here. Even doing six days a week is overkill for most. Just do the best with what you have, maximize what you've got, and give yourself time. If your frame is as good as you say it is, then if you train hard and do everything right, you'll be the best "you" you can be.

But as for looking like Arnold without juicing up, the answer is no.
    totally agree!
    www.fat-burning-techniques.com

Jay

Valik has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    everything is possible

Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100) Swagson is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by bigboybigtits View Post
    no it's not possible natural. you are either stupid, delusional, trolling (nice neg btw *******) or are undermining Arnold's physique.

oops, my bad. Totally achievable natty.
    "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on my bike busting my ass six hours a day. What are you on?"
    - Lance Armstrong

[QUOTE=Swagson;626148793]no it's not possible natural. you are either stupid, delusional, trolling (nice neg btw *******) or are undermining Arnold's physique.

Well of course it's not possible for a 5'8" ectomorphic midget, but for someone 6' 3" with good genetics you can get somewhere near. In fact Arnold said steroids only accounted for about 5-10% of his physique, and if you compare to modern bodybuilder I believe him. They all looked like huge athletes, with small waists. Today they are 50-100 lbs heavier even if they are your height, and their muscles look huge and ugly, and their stomachs are bloated.

Location: Uxbridge, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    BigAdz88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Nailed it

clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10) clungebrah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Steriods were much more mild back in the old days, i believe. So with a perfect diet, supplimentation and mega dedication. It should be possilble in a fair few years.
    Even if you ever get to that size lean, you'd still be lucky to have dem genetics mind.

Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Kirra has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm pretty sure that you won't get there even WITH steroids.

"Everything is possible" is a pretty thought, but it doesn't work like that. Not that it's a reason not to try.
    *Fat Kunt Krew (FKK)* President: Alan Aragon
    *C2H6O is the only macro that counts crew*
    *4th of October Victim Krew*
    *Neg incels for fun crew*

CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CodyK7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    not possible

Originally Posted by Swagson View Post
    no it's not possible natural. you are either stupid, delusional, trolling (nice neg btw *******) or are undermining Arnold's physique.

Don't be a little man syndromiate. Arnold's 4th rule of success; Ignore the nay-sayers.

patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000) patkoch is just really nice. (+1000)
    nope

I'm known by other names IamJonsCranium's Avatar
    IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500) IamJonsCranium is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bigboybigtits View Post
    You have no pics posted I noticed...

THOGH12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Yes

Don't listen to the **** talkers you can do anything as long as you put your mind to it, but remember you must become obsessed to obtain what you want and always be willing to sacrifice

Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000) Quadsbrahh is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by THOGH12 View Post
    Don't listen to the **** talkers you can do anything as long as you put your mind to it, but remember you must become obsessed to obtain what you want and always be willing to sacrifice
    I heard CT is all natty, brah.

E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) E-Tank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by THOGH12 View Post
    strong bump

muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500) muscleshakes is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Arnold had the perfect body and I even liked the way he looked in Commando better. There is a good chance with all the drugs and food and training in the world that you would never look as good as him. I too loved the look of Robby Robinson(still do at 66) Frank Zane and more from the golden age of bodybuilding. Todays pro look dumb.

JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000) JeepCreeper is just really nice. (+1000)
    Arnold was genetically blessed... and chemically enhanced.

StrongWitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For all those who say that it IS possible without steroids:

NAME ONE PERSON WHO'S EVER DONE IT.

Just ONE. If you can't do that, then you can't put up, so please JUST SHUT UP!

StrongWitch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by JeepCreeper View Post
    Arnold was genetically blessed... and chemically enhanced.
    I wouldn't say he's genetically blessed; I saw his parents, they didn't look anything special. His father was simply an Austrian police-captain and (Nazi Party member) who taught him strict self-discipline, and both parents had a strong work-ethic to the point that they were shocked at his opening a gym instead of a "real" profession.
    And they were largely right; aside from Arnold, no bodybuilders have really made money at it-- and Arnold did it claiming it was from the weights and "hard word--" know what that's called? Yep: a FRAUD.

TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TubbyDad is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Necroing thread. Came across it on Google and felt the need to clarify one key point that many people are missing. When you speak of genetics, that doesn't just include your natural potential as it pertains to max lifts. It also determines the shape of your muscles, and you can't change the shape of your muscles (regardless of what Arnold writes in his encyclopedia). Arnold's muscles were perfectly shaped from an aesthetic perspective. You may be able to get as strong as Arnold or as big as Arnold, but unless you are gifted with perfectly shaped muscles, you will never look like Arnold.

rjweld has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Imo

Originally Posted by pweezy2460 View Post
    My educated guess would be that it would take ALOT... A LOOOOOOT of work/and time to achieve a physique like Arnold.
    No you can't get like arnold .. He would not have won that many titles with so many competitors if it was that easy to get.. I don't give a **** who you are or what you eat or how much you lift to get that level of fitness you need some gear