CenaFan4Life56 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

3 day split vs 5 day split

I've been using a 5 day split for the past couple months now, and so far I've been liking it. But from what I've been hearing is that you don't get enough recovery time with a 5 day split as you would a 3 day. If this is true, should I switch to a 3 day split to better my results? This is what my 5 day split consists of:

Monday - Legs/Abs
    Tuesday - Chest
    Wednesday - Back/Abs
    Thursday - Day off
    Friday - Shoulders/Abs
    Saturday - Arms
    Sunday - Day off

I just wanna know if I should continue to do this routine or change to a 3 day split because I don't wanna waste my time if I'm not getting enough recovery time with the 5 day split I've been doing.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    If you make progress, keep doing what you are doing. If you aren't adding weight to your lifts, then make a change. There is no magic formula, so a bit of trial and error is generally a good course of action.

Yes, I have been making progress. I really enjoy the 5 day split, so I'm glad I can continue in doing it. I just wasn't sure if I was getting the proper/necessary recovery time..and yes, I have been adding weight. I just slowly try to increase the weight each week by adding 10, 5, or 2.5 lbs

Another thing I've been wondering about is how often should I max out. Can I do it every week with every lift but only for my last set, or is that gonna be overdoing it?

Thank you for your input, and helping to answer my questions. I greatly appreciate it.

kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kusok has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Lightbulb

No need to be in gym 5x per week. 3-4x is perfectly fine and actually better, especially considering that there are things to do outside the gym such as sleep, eat, f_ck, study, work etc...

Pick a routine from sticky threads that is a 3 day or a 4 day per week and make sure it's a routine that hits each muscle group 2x per week or every 5 days or full body if you're new or know how to use it correctly (naturals need more frequency), and enjoy your time off from the gym.

Amazing that programs like 5x5 and SS are the most effective and survived the test of time, while the 5 day routines from idiotic magazines and websites disappear weeks after they are printed... And guess what? on those classic programs you're in and out of the gym in 45 minutes 3x per week. Think about it...

awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250) awod has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My opinion for what its worth....5 day splits are crap. Work your back or chest 4 times a month? An arms day is a waste....if your doing your compounds with enough intensity, you maybe need just one 3x8 for bi/tri. If doing your deads, squats, and ohp with enough intensity you dont need to dedicate much, if any, ab time. Follow a tried and true program, or if hell bent on making your own, do a ABA BAB (push/pull, full body, or upper/lower split)
    More into running, but their forums suck
    5K 19:29
    10K 41:59
    HM 1:33:20

Lifting and high mileage (accepting mediocrity in both)

Thank you for your input and advice kusok and awod, its greatly appreciated. I've been trying to come up with a new routine, and I finally came across a four day split that I think I might try.

Monday-Chest/Bi's/Abs
    Tuesday-Legs
    Wednesday-Rest
    Thursday-Back/Tri's/Abs*
    Friday-Rest
    Saturday-Shoulders/Traps/Abs*
    Sunday-Rest

The stars indicate training abs on that day is optional. Lemme know whatchyu think.

EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) EPMD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by CenaFan4Life56 View Post
    Yes, I have been making progress. I really enjoy the 5 day split, so I'm glad I can continue in doing it. I just wasn't sure if I was getting the proper/necessary recovery time..and yes, I have been adding weight. I just slowly try to increase the weight each week by adding 10, 5, or 2.5 lbs
    Follow your own experience! If it is working for you, keep doing it...especially if you are enjoying it. Only change it if it stops working.

Originally Posted by EPMD View Post
    Follow your own experience! If it is working for you, keep doing it...especially if you are enjoying it. Only change it if it stops working.
    Yeah, you're right. It has been working, and I really do enjoy it. I was just trying to get advice and suggestions about my routine. Thank you for your input.

themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10) themilkybarkid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    for future reference posting how you split your routine is next to useless. how you eat and what exercises are far more important. your split looks fine but it all depends on how you progress, you want to set yourself up for long term progression. you will undoubtably gain over the first month or two but further down the line is where you will need to use the experience you have gained to make adjustments. and also, no dont max out every week that would be overkill, i would only do it at the end of a cycle if at all.
    "The journey to a place worth getting to is never easy but pain is only temporary, victory is forever" - Jeremy H.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary" - Vince Lombardi

eldono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eldono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eldono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eldono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) eldono has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Less abs training. They are a muscle and need just as much recovery as the rest!

Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    though 3 or 4 times a week may be optimal i have been seeing great results with layne Norton's power hypertrophy which has me in the gym 5 days a week with 1 sepeate day of cardio.I'm skinny but im steadily gaining mass and strength,OP you can gain mass and weight on a 5 day split but i have to admit i saw my best gains on a 5x5 routine.my squat went from 67.5kg to 117.5kg 5x5 food for thought.

The good thing i should point out about power hypertrophy is that you do a 5x5 programme 2 days a week and the rest of the day are more of a traditional higher rep bodybuilding split.At the end of the day though you must decide.Good luck

Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roniboney is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    though 3 or 4 times a week may be optimal i have been seeing great results with layne Norton's power hypertrophy which has me in the gym 5 days a week with 1 separate day of cardio.I'm skinny but im steadily gaining mass and strength,OP you can gain mass and weight on a 5 day split but i have to admit i saw my best gains on a 5x5 routine.my squat went from 67.5kg to 117.5kg 5x5 food for thought.

The good thing i should point out about power hypertrophy is that you do a 5x5 programme 2 days a week and the rest of the day are more of a traditional higher rep bodybuilding split.At the end of the day though you must decide.Good luck

Samlaza29 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Samlaza29 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Whatever works I do a 3 day split which gives me optimal time to recover from training