mmc4587 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation So So So Sore, Can't hardly move

HI

+++++short version++++++

I just started lifting yesterday and I am too sore to go back to the gym today.

Have I overtrained?
    Will this go away after a few weeks?
    Should I change my rest time between sets to 1.5min from 3.0min to allow muscle fatigue to prevent me from overtaxing my muscles?

++++++++long version+++++++

In highschool I was conditioned, and extremely lean.
    I was 6 foot flat, 175-185 lbs (basketball season), 167-174 (track season, I ran the mile in 4.5min).
    --That was in 2000
    To make a long story short, I got injured my first sem. of college (couldn't lift weights or run for over a year) and although I am fairly active (I have a hard, physical job now) only yesterday I joined a Gym (MASONS GYM, Pekin IL) and started training again.
    --Today
    I am 175, and although I can't see a sixpack I am mostly muscle mass.

My problem.

I devised a workout routine, here is Thursday (my first day).

8:30 AM..warmup:

Superman Swim with 15lb barbells
    Around the Worlds with 20lb barbells
    Rotator-cuff plyometrics w/15lb barbells
    Specialized situps, keeping feet 6inches from floor (legs extended) and bringing right elbow to left knee, down, left elbow to right knee (one leg always extended).

1..Arnold press, Rocky style
    (one arm at a time, fully extend shoulders and move side to side, to stress stablizers (sp?))

=35 lb barbels
    (8 reps) sets 1-3
    (6.5 reps) set 4=failure

2..Dead lift w/shrugs

= 135 lb warmup
    =205 lb (8 reps)x5 sets (this was seriously taxing. The last one was hard enough I decided to stop for fear of injuring my self.)

3..Wide dec. bench press
    Weight....Set...reps
    115....6...8-12 (failure)
    105....6....8-12 (failure)
    95.....6....8-12 (failure)
    85.....6....8-12 (failure)
    75.....6....8-12 (failure)
    65.....6....8-12 (failure)
    55.....6....8-12 (failure)

4..Mixed hanging X-ups (pull ups where you bring your knees to the bar simultaneously while you lift your chin above it, 1x overhand grip + 1x underhand grip + 2x mixed grip)
    set....reps
    1....6 (failure)
    2....5 (failure)
    3....4 (failure)
    4....4 (failure)

Cool Down:
    Specialized situps, etc...

between sets I rested 2-3 min (I am not taking NOx, Creatine, Glutamate, etc. so I figure that a little extra rest between sets will give my muscles time to recover from oxygen fatigue and Lactic Acid buildup)

I was so sore that night I was hardly able to move at work (I am a welder, and work requires moving around 40-60lb chunks of steel).

This morning I woke up, and couldn't get out of bed to hit the gym again.

To complete my training regimen I need to lift 4x weekly. I am worried about not getting enough rest between workouts/having to skip workouts b/c of overtraining.

I didn't puke, (though there were times I felt like it during the deadlifts) so I figure i couldn't have worked too hard....

I don't know. Any thoughts?

Should I shorten my rest time to 1.5 min, so that muscle fatigue will prevent me from overtraining?

nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000) nitrored is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mmc4587 View Post
    HI

+++++short version++++++

I just started lifting yesterday and I am too sore to go back to the gym today.

Have I overtrained?
    Will this go away after a few weeks?
    Should I change my rest time between sets to 1.5min from 3.0min to allow muscle fatigue to prevent me from overtaxing my muscles?
    1.) you dont know what overtraining is...
    2.) probably
    3.) you want to overtax your muscles... you may want to allow longer rests so you can hit the next set harder, you may want shorter rest to make it more/same weight in less time...it's up to you.

EDIT********
    I glanced at some of the long version... that is some of the most ridiculous cr@p I've ever seen...
    Last edited by nitrored; 02-02-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    Secretary of Defense/Neeging, SRCSG (Squat Rack Curlers Support Group)

"I feel like to get squats patent." - redbullzeye

fireproof has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the soreness should go away in about two to three days, day two is usually the worst for me, so if this is day one look forward to tomorrow with dread, a couple of things that help me is taking vitamin c throughout the day and eating foods with vit c such as oranges, I also think vitamin e helps as well and as aways drink lots of water, hot baths also help but the benefits seem short lived...................good luck

Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50) Alphy will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Invest in a GOOD multivitamin. I truely believe it made all the difference between me getting sore and not.

Originally Posted by nitrored View Post
    1.)
    EDIT********
    I glanced at some of the long version... that is some of the most ridiculous cr@p I've ever seen...
    Should I be worried?
    Would you reccomend, somethig different?

gabulldawg1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabulldawg1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabulldawg1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabulldawg1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gabulldawg1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If that is really your routine, you have bigger problems than being sore to worry about. In fact, if that is your routine, I recommend staying away from the gym until you get some common sense.

jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50) jp6v will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I didn't puke [...] so I figure i couldn't have worked too hard....
    Ha ha ha

fireproof has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Should I be worried?
    Would you reccomend, somethig different?

yes check out the stickies at the top of the workout page and start with a newb workout regime and them progress from there, because at this point starting over you are again a newb, no shame in that, just is what it is

Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000) Kaptn Krunch is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dude - since it's your first week back, you don't want to kill yourself pushing super heavy weights or doing 500 sets/reps. Your first week or 2 are just to get your body used to lifting again.

You should use lighter weights and a low number of sets...Say 2 or 3 sets of only 1 exercise per body part. My recommendation is to look into Rippetoe's Starting Strength.

You'll probably be more sore tomorrow than you are today too. I know I'm always the most sore on the 2nd day when I really do crazy weight/reps/sets.

Originally Posted by gabulldawg1 View Post
    If that is really your routine, you have bigger problems than being sore to worry about. In fact, if that is your routine, I recommend staying away from the gym until you get some common sense.
    that is/was my thursday routine/plan.
    I plan on only lifting 4days/week, each exercise only once per week.

..Arnold press (Delts, Tri's)
    ..deadlift w/shrugs (back, Traps)
    ..wide dec. bench press (pecks, Tri's)
    ..mixed pull-ups (x-ups) (lats)
    ..Crossover cable torso routine (abs,obliques)
    ..Long-bar rows (lats)
    ..Tricep combo (tri's, lats)
    ..Crossover Curls (biceps)
    ..dumbell donkey raises (calves)
    ..tailors extentions (sartorious muscle)
    ..squats (quads, glutes)
    ..1-leg squats (hams, glutes)
    ..Power cleans

hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250) hugs has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    There really is a lot of great info here to look at...remember that when you are a beginner, don't work your muscles like you are a pro. You have to build up to that point. Get some patience. Being sore can be a good thing, but being so sore you can't even do your job is overboard.

Make sure to have some carbs after your workout...like try a protein shake with gatorade powder and oatmeal and a multi vitamin after your workout. then 30-45 mins after that have a reallly good balanced meal. From my experience (i'm a beginner too) this has helped me not get so sore.

Wolf Climbing The Hill dangoody27's Avatar
    dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gabulldawg1 View Post
    x2

Your workout looks like you were up all night watching Rocky movies and shredding copies of Flex and pasting them back together in random order...at the same time.

Read the stickies, pick a good beginner workout and go from there.
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." - Tom Hanks

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee